Transitioning to live from online tips

scaleyback

scaleyback

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my aims this year is to put in a bit of volume in live MTTs.

I am fortunate enough to have Dusk Til Dawn (DTD) on my door step (biggest poker club in the UK formally the biggest in Europe).

I have been grinding party poker live dollars and have now managed to build a small but workable roll of around $600 (£460) after playing a couple of live events at DTD.

The live dollars can be used to buy into any MTT at DTD and buyins range from £15 upto wsop circuit events and party poker live events with buyins in the ££££.

I am lucky enough to have got through to day 2 of the dusk til dawn grand prix (£100k gtd) with a very decent stack (60bb). any tips on how you think I should play a big stack would help.

I am asking for any tips on transitioning to live play from online. In particular I find that when I play live I always go in slightly nervous and that shows in particular when I have big hands so any tips on controlling emotions and tendencies would be appreciated.

Its not the first time I have played live in a big event but its the first time that I have really been taking my live game seriously. I plan on playing at least 1 - 3 comps a week at DTD so any tips at all that might help would be great.

Cheers Guys and Gals

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One thing on the actual tourney... I would look at the tournament structure sheet and mark up levels where blind to ante ratio is good and I wanted to try to take more pre.

One other Important thing. I would in the future be very careful about hygiene, keep your hands away from your mouth, those chips and cards have all kinds of germs. If you are putting your fingers near or in your mouth it is like putting everyone in the tournament the dealers and people from previous tournaments fingers in your mouth... Think about that it is gross. If you have to eat at the table use utensils don't eat finger foods. This is serious business I have gotten so sick at live multi-day tournaments or when I got home in the past. I learned my lesson, it cost me money and pain in the past so now I am very careful and keep and use hand sanitizer and keep my hands away from my mouth. I hardly ever get sick, except when I first started live tournaments, and then I got sick a lot until I thought about why and fixed it. Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
scaleyback

scaleyback

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks,

based on last nights day 1 I think the average stack will be around 20bb and the structure is even throughout. it will be starting at 10k / 20k with a 20k bb ante. so there is no variation in the ante to blind ratio.

Thanks on the hygene tips i will make sure I dont stick my fingers in my mouth too much :p

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my aims this year is to put in a bit of volume in live MTTs.

I am fortunate enough to have Dusk Til Dawn (DTD) on my door step (biggest poker club in the UK formally the biggest in Europe).

I have been grinding party poker live dollars and have now managed to build a small but workable roll of around $600 (£460) after playing a couple of live events at DTD.

The live dollars can be used to buy into any MTT at DTD and buyins range from £15 upto WSOP circuit events and party poker live events with buyins in the ££££.

I am lucky enough to have got through to day 2 of the dusk til dawn grand prix (£100k gtd) with a very decent stack (60bb). any tips on how you think I should play a big stack would help.

I am asking for any tips on transitioning to live play from online. In particular I find that when I play live I always go in slightly nervous and that shows in particular when I have big hands so any tips on controlling emotions and tendencies would be appreciated.

Its not the first time I have played live in a big event but its the first time that I have really been taking my live game seriously. I plan on playing at least 1 - 3 comps a week at DTD so any tips at all that might help would be great.

Cheers Guys and Gals

The biggest change I can think of is the human element. Live reads are so much more important than the math skills you need in online play. Also I believe variance is less of a factor in live games. Don't misunderstand it still applies but from my experience far less than in the online world. And remember to put your pants on lol. Good luck at the tables!!

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The nerves will go away as you get more experience. If you find yourself getting nervous, try to keep your hands under control. Don't fidget with your cards or play with your chips. Stay calm, take a deep breath. Enjoy yourself.

One thing to do is to watch the players not in the hand. They will let their guard down and might give away something if you are paying attention.

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tips