Real difference between live and online

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a desirable night playing cards at the card house. As usual you get new players coming in talking junk at the table. First hour he was losing and he made a comment that hes not used to no action playing cards. Guys said your a online player and started laughing. Of coarse I dont tell them I play online for obvious reasons. But the kid was surprised hardly ever a flush or a straight hit the board. No one showed a flush and a river. High card usually won because most people didnt hit the board.

I started thinking about it and as soon as i got home i jumped online in a couple of tourneys and the kid was right. Online every other hand is full of great cards. I said great cards but not winning hands.

Any of you play a reasonable amount of both live and online with a real opinion?:damnmate:

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a desirable night playing cards at the card house. As usual you get new players coming in talking junk at the table. First hour he was losing and he made a comment that hes not used to no action playing cards. Guys said your a online player and started laughing. Of coarse I dont tell them I play online for obvious reasons. But the kid was surprised hardly ever a flush or a straight hit the board. No one showed a flush and a river. High card usually won because most people didnt hit the board.

I started thinking about it and as soon as i got home i jumped online in a couple of tourneys and the kid was right. Online every other hand is full of great cards. I said great cards but not winning hands.

Any of you play a reasonable amount of both live and online with a real opinion?:damnmate:

I play both. Live you see weird stuff happen on rare occasion. Online its rare to see something not weird happen. Exactly what you experience is an all day every day thing. Example. I have never gotten a strait flush live. Havent seen one yet either. I have had now a total of 4 in online poker over 3 years. I lost 3 of them. 2 of the losses on the river to 1 outter higher strait flushes.

danix

danix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online players play more loose as losing and falling out of the tournament is just signing up for another, live players think more before entering a hand. Because online players are looser it turns out to be more bizarre

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play both. Live you see weird stuff happen on rare occasion. Online its rare to see something not weird happen. Exactly what you experience is an all day every day thing. Example. I have never gotten a strait flush live. Havent seen one yet either. I have had now a total of 4 in online poker over 3 years. I lost 3 of them. 2 of the losses on the river to 1 outter higher strait flushes.

being honest until recently i avoided comments comparing both because for some reason if you question online your a rigtard. Being older you avoid controversy and labeling. Younger generation is quick to defend online.

I play every Saturday live. Thats as much as the wifey allows and it has nothing to do financially because I've maintain a healthy bank roll for years. She doesn't like the environment and just worry about me. Specially over the last year most of my card buddies just cant get around as good and its really limited their outings. Benefits of getting older.

Last night i got home and not ready for bed i played a few tourneys. In two tourneys i saw more combat hands than i saw in four hours at the card house. All hands that made sense for everyone to play. I seldom get into the post flop all in with less than trips or better online. A bit conservative but with so many straights and flushes and boats online i feel its best. I just dont fall into the theory online you get cards faster so you see more beats. Which probably is true but i should see around the same numbers per 500 hands. Percentage wise should be around the same.

I do appreciate the comments if you play both and comment. I am surprised so few play both live and online. I to have never got a straight flush live. Never got the royal yet on either. Seen quads a hand full of times live and see quads everyday online. But in defense of online more people are willing to go to showdown. So its like comparing oranges to grapefruit. Both same food group but one is sweet and the other is sour. I just so happen to like both. :aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being honest until recently i avoided comments comparing both because for some reason if you question online your a rigtard. Being older you avoid controversy and labeling. Younger generation is quick to defend online.

I play every Saturday live. Thats as much as the wifey allows and it has nothing to do financially because I've maintain a healthy bank roll for years. She doesn't like the environment and just worry about me. Specially over the last year most of my card buddies just cant get around as good and its really limited their outings. Benefits of getting older.

Last night i got home and not ready for bed i played a few tourneys. In two tourneys i saw more combat hands than i saw in four hours at the card house. All hands that made sense for everyone to play. I seldom get into the post flop all in with less than trips or better online. A bit conservative but with so many straights and flushes and boats online i feel its best. I just dont fall into the theory online you get cards faster so you see more beats. Which probably is true but i should see around the same numbers per 500 hands. Percentage wise should be around the same.

I do appreciate the comments if you play both and comment. I am surprised so few play both live and online. I to have never got a straight flush live. Never got the royal yet on either. Seen quads a hand full of times live and see quads everyday online. But in defense of online more people are willing to go to showdown. So its like comparing oranges to grapefruit. Both same food group but one is sweet and the other is sour. I just so happen to like both. :aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

I use percentages as oppose to number of hands. Seeing 1000 hands online vs 100 live you would clearly obviously see more bad beats and weird stuff in 1000 hands. I dont argue that not one iota. I have the problem with things like A junk vs AK AQ AJ. I might lose the bigger ace 1 in 5 or 6 hands live. Online, its just a little above 50% over 3 years worth of hands. This isnt weird, or variance, or because more people play bad hands. Its flat out because online software is rigged for action. If A7 donk loses 4 out of 5 against AJ+ he will quit playing. Or he will quit putting more money in the pot at the very least to build that rake.

I use to think the cheerleaders for online poker "never rigged" crew just knew more than me. So I worked at my game, read everything readable, even devised strategies that went totally against reason.......with success somewhat. And my conclusion is its obvious. Software isnt random at all. And cheerleaders are way way to smart to not notice exactly what I have recording every hand for 3 years. So they must have an agenda one way or another. Not mad at um. Poker rooms got to make money. Cheerleaders got to do what every they do. I just know better than to risk a single penny to online bingo. Ran $100 live up to $4850 in a year playing on occasion. Had only a few losing sessions. 1 where I just got bombed. Lost 3 coolers in 12 minutes. Didnt have 5 coolers all year. So weird stuff does happen. Online though 3 coolers/suckouts is per 6 hands played let alone per tourny or day or week.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only have one of my acquaintances that play both. He does much better than i do live at the tables but he does it day in and day out. More than a hobby and he gives me respect at the tables. He says he farts around with online a few times but just couldn't get a feel for it. Couldn't prove anything just seemed way higher pace for action. He ask me every Saturday if i made any profits online and he would say he hasn't either.
I gave him my theory that the system is presenting like a handicap. Meaning it wasn't geared more to any player unless you mean bad players willing to look at all in 7,2 because its suited. Against a regular whose handicap is nil those aces become a fifty fifty.

Keeping everybody around longer keeping a steady flow of rake. Just makes to much sense. Sad is i get frustrated but normally make it or around the money. Even made it to step five for venom. Imagine if i got those aces like i should and they won more than 68%. id be the man. to funny:ciao:

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play both, i think online poker its full of combinaison, ofently badbeat.
Live poker its all about feeling and goods cards.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a big difference, online poker software/hud help players to see pot odds etc.. Live its all on you, you cant see stack size without counting... Thats why Charlie Carrel beated a LLinusLLove (best online poker player in the world) where he made a bluff after Charlie had put pretty much his stack in the pot and he couldnt fold

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use percentages as oppose to number of hands. Seeing 1000 hands online vs 100 live you would clearly obviously see more bad beats and weird stuff in 1000 hands. I dont argue that not one iota. I have the problem with things like A junk vs AK AQ AJ. I might lose the bigger ace 1 in 5 or 6 hands live. Online, its just a little above 50% over 3 years worth of hands. This isnt weird, or variance, or because more people play bad hands. Its flat out because online software is rigged for action. If A7 donk loses 4 out of 5 against AJ+ he will quit playing. Or he will quit putting more money in the pot at the very least to build that rake.

I use to think the cheerleaders for online poker "never rigged" crew just knew more than me. So I worked at my game, read everything readable, even devised strategies that went totally against reason.......with success somewhat. And my conclusion is its obvious. Software isnt random at all. And cheerleaders are way way to smart to not notice exactly what I have recording every hand for 3 years. So they must have an agenda one way or another. Not mad at um. Poker rooms got to make money. Cheerleaders got to do what every they do. I just know better than to risk a single penny to online bingo. Ran $100 live up to $4850 in a year playing on occasion. Had only a few losing sessions. 1 where I just got bombed. Lost 3 coolers in 12 minutes. Didnt have 5 coolers all year. So weird stuff does happen. Online though 3 coolers/suckouts is per 6 hands played let alone per tourny or day or week.

I think you hit the nail on the head. lets face it most players (online) are pure trash donkeys but if online looses them where are they at? They wouldnt survive. It really is as simple as you just put it.

Ive had some really decent wins live and im usually final table bound, im a TAG, dont play many hands but i play them heavy preflop online it doesnt matter how heavy you play them(you have to get lucky which is sad) you have 2 or more idiots willing to gamble with 56 79 84 95 etc... and in my experience online is, against my better hands they win a helluva lot more then my hands do. But if online treated them as real cards do, then they wouldnt be playing and there wouldnt be many sites operating.
People say you have to have a large sample and i just dont buy it. 100 hands is 100 hands live or online, or 500 vrs 500. you will virtually see same results online constantly that vary from live. I love playing against those LAG players live cause you can tell there use to hitting there bs online and dont know when to back off live. Ive played against LAG players live thats never played online and they get frustrated and quit playing cause they will never have the results that keep them coming back live as they would online.
My problem online is i keep expecting results like i do live for the cards to fall the way they should.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DON'T play live as much anymore but i can can play months on the same amount of money i lose in an week online. I hope its because you see a lot more hands but have a feeling online might be fixed.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DON'T play live as much anymore but i can can play months on the same amount of money i lose in an week online. I hope its because you see a lot more hands but have a feeling online might be fixed.

500 hands is 500 hands dont matter how quick or slow u get there

JReg1322

JReg1322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I have only ever played online and I've been probably playing online consistently I mean four five different sites 678 hours a day maybe a little less you know when I get to my days off way more and I've only ever played online and online you can see that the RNG definitely sets out cards to favor the game with big hands I haven't played live yet and I'm kind of nervous too because I'm sure I have behaviors and tells that will show but I don't think my bad beats will be as harsh playing live what I want to know is since the random number generator is software and every account that I have has an account number and hand history does that software pick up your tendencies and your habits and the card you like to play? once you start winning and you continue to play it's almost like they trick you ...almost like they know what hands you like and they'll throw out the cards and throw out two more cards that look like "okay" that's going to be a big hand but then that last card it'll be for somebody else cuz I'll win win win I think that I'm doing great then all of a sudden hands and cards and situations that I thought I had for sure end up being bad beats I'll get up maybe $100 plus and within the next eight to 10 hours lose it all

JReg1322

JReg1322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you hit the nail on the head. lets face it most players (online) are pure trash donkeys but if online looses them where are they at? They wouldnt survive. It really is as simple as you just put it.

Ive had some really decent wins live and im usually final table bound, im a TAG, dont play many hands but i play them heavy preflop online it doesnt matter how heavy you play them(you have to get lucky which is sad) you have 2 or more idiots willing to gamble with 56 79 84 95 etc... and in my experience online is, against my better hands they win a helluva lot more then my hands do. But if online treated them as real cards do, then they wouldnt be playing and there wouldnt be many sites operating.
People say you have to have a large sample and i just dont buy it. 100 hands is 100 hands live or online, or 500 vrs 500. you will virtually see same results online constantly that vary from live. I love playing against those LAG players live cause you can tell there use to hitting there bs online and dont know when to back off live. Ive played against LAG players live thats never played online and they get frustrated and quit playing cause they will never have the results that keep them coming back live as they would online.
My problem online is i keep expecting results like i do live for the cards to fall the way they should.

Great point bro... I played in a 6 Max small sNg tourney the other day this one guy went all-in first had another guy called the the first person that went all-in and I'm starting to see a trend generally if you have a decent hand and you got maybe at least one or two cards out there especially a face card if you go all-in first you're going to win it... I would warn people online if you're the second person to go all in I'd be weary especially if that person has anything that's decent and you know you'll beat 33 44 but if they have 8's or above I would be weary about going second if you were going all-in... So after he won that hand you know there was five of us left he went all in every hand... the next two guys and it was me and one other guy left and I knew what was coming I called which was just twenty bucks he goes all-in I fold the next Hand, I'm so annoyed with the guy by now I'm like I'm going all-in regardless I go all-in he goes all-in I win now our money is about even so the third guy calls the gentleman or the donk decides to go all in again he folds so it's my turn up again I have suited like Jack 9 or something I go all-in he goes all-in he has suited Ace 8 he wins I don't know if he won the tournament but I'm assuming he did but he went all in every hand from the time he won the first hand... At a live tournament he would have been gone he definitely wouldn't feed his family playing that way but online going to set you up with unrealistic expectations if you play live I believe which I have yet to do

JReg1322

JReg1322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thank you for that bro I play online lot pretty much only do you have any suggestions I was I'm not really up on I guess poker terminology a whole lot cuz I'm kind of new to it... What are coolers in suckouts and I saw you mention something about every six hands have you may be figured out the pattern that goes on in the software and online poker I just noticed when I win and I play on the same site for a while and I get up it seems like all of a sudden the hands that I get that I won with I get those same hands I start to lose the only do I lose the profit I made I lose my investment till it's damn they're all gone I think once I lose and start to see maybe a chunk of the profit I made I should probably switch sights and play somewhere else and then come back to it because it's happening way too much work I'll use $20 get up 80 pick up doing great stay there on that same site and end up within the next eight to 10 hours losing it all because the same hands I was winning with I'm now getting my ass chewed with

JReg1322

JReg1322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I've never seen four of a kind live and I saw a guy hit four of a kind back-to-back on BetOnline once with Jacks I think once with Kings

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great point bro... I played in a 6 Max small sNg tourney the other day this one guy went all-in first had another guy called the the first person that went all-in and I'm starting to see a trend generally if you have a decent hand and you got maybe at least one or two cards out there especially a face card if you go all-in first you're going to win it... I would warn people online if you're the second person to go all in I'd be weary especially if that person has anything that's decent and you know you'll beat 33 44 but if they have 8's or above I would be weary about going second if you were going all-in... So after he won that hand you know there was five of us left he went all in every hand... the next two guys and it was me and one other guy left and I knew what was coming I called which was just twenty bucks he goes all-in I fold the next Hand, I'm so annoyed with the guy by now I'm like I'm going all-in regardless I go all-in he goes all-in I win now our money is about even so the third guy calls the gentleman or the donk decides to go all in again he folds so it's my turn up again I have suited like Jack 9 or something I go all-in he goes all-in he has suited Ace 8 he wins I don't know if he won the tournament but I'm assuming he did but he went all in every hand from the time he won the first hand... At a live tournament he would have been gone he definitely wouldn't feed his family playing that way but online going to set you up with unrealistic expectations if you play live I believe which I have yet to do
Number one j.9 suited is not a all in hand ever. unless the street that gives you the str or flush. Ace high beats you if you dont hit.

This is my opinion but stay away from all in with anything less than kings. A.k if your heads up. Online is designed for long haul to the river. Sets or better after flop. Two pair if heads up. I see some issues with these hands. Tighten up leak less. I usually make it to bubble and i know software is weird. Just trying to help. :wavey:

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it official, i made us all into RIGTARDS. :wavey:

JReg1322

JReg1322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Number one j.9 suited is not a all in hand ever. unless the street that gives you the str or flush. Ace high beats you if you dont hit.

This is my opinion but stay away from all in with anything less than kings. A.k if your heads up. Online is designed for long haul to the river. Sets or better after flop. Two pair if heads up. I see some issues with these hands. Tighten up leak less. I usually make it to bubble and i know software is weird. Just trying to help. :wavey:
Thank you bro yeah I knew Jack 9 suit it wasn't a strong pair or strong combination at all but I knew that every time he was going all-in he couldn't have had a great hand I was hoping to catch him on one of those the first time that worked the second time he actually had ace 8 suited

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you bro yeah I knew Jack 9 suit it wasn't a strong pair or strong combination at all but I knew that every time he was going all-in he couldn't have had a great hand I was hoping to catch him on one of those the first time that worked the second time he actually had ace 8 suited

A.8 suited is a terrible all in hand unless your checked by a heads up player. You want to win look at a poker table chart. You start off only playing the cards that can be played from any position. As you go further you pick up mid position hands. Then finish with late position. If you follow table it will get you to bubble. Gets tricky there because aggression really over takes At the final tables. Once you get these down pat you look to add bluffs. Bigger your stack after bubble better your chances. :wavey:

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played a long time live and on line amd I dont want to jump aboard the rigged nor action train just yet, but I wont rule them out.

In live I am so used to allowing the opponent to draw on a safer texture so I can spring a trap but if I do this online I feel like I will lose more often than I should. Its still difficult to change but I keep telling myself that you are best playing online as if the draws will hit 100% of the time even if they do not actually always do.

JReg1322

JReg1322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A.8 suited is a terrible all in hand unless your checked by a heads up player. You want to win look at a poker table chart. You start off only playing the cards that can be played from any position. As you go further you pick up mid position hands. Then finish with late position. If you follow table it will get you to bubble. Gets tricky there because aggression really over takes At the final tables. Once you get these down pat you look to add bluffs. Bigger your stack after bubble better your chances. :wavey:
yes I started experimenting with suited connectors and unsuited connectors and really threw my game off when I followed my range chart I started winning are doing better or at least not losing or at least getting to the final table but when I started to mess around with unsuited and suited connectors and trying to every now and go live with an unsuited 3-8 or and unsuited 7-4 just to catch it because I see it thrown out there sometimes I really feel my game off but now I'm getting back to just playing my range and if it's not there fold

Thank you for the advice being new and tasting my first little piece of winning I had one week where I think I won about $600 which was my most winnings ever over that span of time only to turn around not only lose it all but for the last week or so you know when they're small deposits 25 20 40 when a little bit and then lose it all lose it all trying to get the winnings back mainly

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played a long time live and on line amd I dont want to jump aboard the rigged nor action train just yet, but I wont rule them out.

In live I am so used to allowing the opponent to draw on a safer texture so I can spring a trap but if I do this online I feel like I will lose more often than I should. Its still difficult to change but I keep telling myself that you are best playing online as if the draws will hit 100% of the time even if they do not actually always do.

I see way to many drawing hands hit online. Live you want them chasing. Online i even pay a little to see cards i wouldn't chase live. All in on a draw? I would have to be the one pushing as a bluff with possibilities. No other way.:wavey:

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I started experimenting with suited connectors and unsuited connectors and really threw my game off when I followed my range chart I started winning are doing better or at least not losing or at least getting to the final table but when I started to mess around with unsuited and suited connectors and trying to every now and go live with an unsuited 3-8 or and unsuited 7-4 just to catch it because I see it thrown out there sometimes I really feel my game off but now I'm getting back to just playing my range and if it's not there fold

Thank you for the advice being new and tasting my first little piece of winning I had one week where I think I won about $600 which was my most winnings ever over that span of time only to turn around not only lose it all but for the last week or so you know when they're small deposits 25 20 40 when a little bit and then lose it all lose it all trying to get the winnings back mainly

Depends how your losing. Watch for stuff like as soon as you rebuy you get a great hand. New deposit all of a sudden great luck.

I like a challenge just have trust issues with online. I every week play in the Jack pot free rolls. Some sites have daily free roles. Every time i win five dollars i work it. When i have won enough i split it on two tables. I only play two tables im older and cant really pay attention more than two. Once i max those two tables ill move one table to higher stakes. Eventually i have both tables at higher stakes. I turn five into fifty like clock work. If i was smart id quit. For some reason if you go past triple the buy in the most magnificent beats happen usually all in with a boat only to loose. . on both tables around the same time. Coincident maybe. I do this weekly. Everybody has to make up their own minds.
:ciao:

JReg1322

JReg1322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how your losing. Watch for stuff like as soon as you rebuy you get a great hand. New deposit all of a sudden great luck.

I like a challenge just have trust issues with online. I every week play in the Jack pot free rolls. Some sites have daily free roles. Every time i win five dollars i work it. When i have won enough i split it on two tables. I only play two tables im older and cant really pay attention more than two. Once i max those two tables ill move one table to higher stakes. Eventually i have both tables at higher stakes. I turn five into fifty like clock work. If i was smart id quit. For some reason if you go past triple the buy in the most magnificent beats happen usually all in with a boat only to loose. . on both tables around the same time. Coincident maybe. I do this weekly. Everybody has to make up their own minds.
:ciao:
Thank you so much yeah I see that when I got three times my deposit up or more all of a sudden the next few games I'm just boom and then once you lose I'm still so undisciplined I try to make up for my loss and it just more and more lost to where now my lost my winnings and I lost my deposit

Organize a Home Poker Game