Playing Poker with Sunglasses

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some players choose to play with glasses in order to cover their emotions. But in my opinion the glasses don’t serve to anything, simply because nobody can read anything through your eyes!
The eyes don’t give any information, but your body can give some informations if you are shaking or your face becomes red... So, you have to control theses things if you don't want your opponents to read you.
You have to learn to laugh and to make jokes when you are under pressure, for example in the case when you make a big bluff and your opponent is thinking... I can tell you by my experience that this thing may allow you to win too much money.
So, take off your glasses and learn how to control your nerves.

Last edited by a moderator:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Well, the glasses cover more than just your eyes. A lot of humans start blinking or twitching with the muscles surrounding your eyes.

The glasses can also be used as a cover to hide what you are looking at ( and when).

But I agree what you should try to train yourself to act natural (with or without glasses). And if fake tells work use that too.

Last edited:
FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some players choose to play with glasses in order to cover their emotions. But in my opinion the glasses don’t serve to anything, simply because nobody can read anything through your eyes!
The eyes don’t give any information, but your body can give some informations if you are shaking or your face becomes red... So, you have to control theses things if you don't want your opponents to read you.
You have to learn to laugh and to make jokes when you are under pressure, for example in the case when you make a big bluff and your opponent is thinking... I can tell you by my experience that this thing may allow you to win too much money.

I have never played poker with glasses. But if the player shakes and has a red face, then it is better to stop the game and see a doctor. :D

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I only play poker online, so I do not have to hide my emotions from my opponents. Although I think that controlling emotions is a very important part of a successful game.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Some days ago i was reading interview of Mariya Konnikova (PS team pro). There was intresting point about play with glasses in live tournaments. You can find it and read.

A

aasdehaas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually the eyes tell alot, ur pupil widens or becomes smaller depending on your state of mind, a bit like it reacts to light or even drugs, so even when u lie there is a small change in ur pupils for most people. Now imagine playin against someone like phil ivey who can see pixel differences on cards(so they say) You can actually see alot in someones eyes. If your trained in reading eyes/body language, the eyes give more dependable information as it is harder to fake

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I do not need glasses because, first, I play online, and secondly, through daily meditation, I can easily control my emotions.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once saw a player who's neck vein would throb when he was dealt Aces. Poor guy.

K

Klim007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In live poker, it lets you know absolutely everything about your opponent, eyes, arms, shoulders and even legs. Do not think that playing live poker like online. You confuse these concepts, and these are absolutely two different things.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh dear, there is so much to read in your opponents eyes, the trick is to know what something about look actually means. I'll give you an example, when you are involved in a hand with someone, let assume there was some action before flop just for the example, and if your opponent give a look at your stack when flop reveals it could be a good sign that he has a strong hand. However this is not a win win formula, look itself may be reflexive or with the purpose, someone could do that just for the hand, to play you so you need to be very carefully when reading these signs. Body language starts with eyes, don't underestimate it.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not in the eyebrow but in the eye !!! But for me it’s not so easy, so I roll up and down and look at how beautiful cloth is on the table)))

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"So, take off your glasses and learn how to control your nerves." Even better: take off your glasses and play on the internet :)

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not play poker with glasses since there is no sun inside my house .. and also as I prefer the darkness in long tournaments and I always try to make it dark at night it would make my vision very difficult

Gloria_Legenda

Gloria_Legenda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never played with them, if you know how to control yourself, they're nothing to you

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm against playing glasses and covering your face while it's live because it spoils the beauty of live poker. For players who want to be anonium, there is online poker.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I laugh at players who wear sunglasses, a hoodie to cover their ears, a scarf to cover their throat in case they swallow too hard when bluffing...it's poker, not Halloween...besides, I always worry that someone could see my hole cards in the reflection in the sunglasses (especially mirrored ones).

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I first started playing, I did everything to cover up as much as possible. I'd wear a hoodie, sunglasses, cover my throat, and just straight up hide. I then went to not covering anything and started to give away fake tells. I tried going back to just sunglasses, and a player afterwards told me that I had different tells which was my breathing.

Wearing sunglasses can turn into a hindrance and affect your play negatively in the long run.

T

t0b4cc0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I tried sunglasses, but I was having trouble reading the cards. Getting old sux...

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a lot to learn about poker tells. Generally, glasses keep you protected from others when you subconsciously look down at your chips when you get a big hand. Also, glasses protect me from you noticing I'm watching every single move you make at the table. It would make you uncomfortable.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wear shades and a Justify triple crown hat because, well, I like how I look and it builds my self confidence.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here, We have a Guy, an International Chess Champion! A Guy who has recently been proven to be competent in (purportedly) Higher Level Poker, after being trashed for advice he had given on "How to Play Poker".
Now He is giving Fashion Advice...
I'm just going to say "Thanks Bro, I'll give it a Go"!
Don't Challenge the PRO!

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use when I'm hungover,about utility in the tables,people can fake, it's subjective

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I tried wearing sunglasses one weekend and the funniest thing I noticed was that, when I didn't have them over my eyes, other players would look at me and engage verbally etcetera, yet, when I had them covering my eyes and they were to look or try to engange me, they would quickly shift their eyes away (as if they were caught trying to read me or something). I definitely do think that wearing sunglasses is an easy way to get a read on players and how they play (and maybe see some tells) a lot easier because you could have your head turned yet still be looking at them (and they don't know it). So, I feel that it could be useful for recon into how they play or react without letting them know you are actually observing them. ;)

Good Luck all! :)

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found it.

https://www.pokerstarsschool.com/article/Maria-Konnikova-Tips-for-Playing-Live-Poker-Tournaments

Just in case it gets deleted or moved: Se said Glasses hinder your eyesight and they dont hide the more important parts like posture, gesture etc...

I was at a tourney where "The Mouth" was appearing and he actually took the tournament. Anyways, there were tables all around promoting a new brand of glasses... Blue Shark Optics. I tried a pair on and they were amazing. Could see perfectly yet you were completely hidden. That was like 2008 or 2009? I was just checking their website and they have improved their wearability and most likely what they use in the lenses. I'm not shilling for them :p (I didn't buy a pair because I don't wear sunglasses at the table) but I must say that they were awesome.

Good Luck all! :)