Playing fun home game with bad players

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I play a monthly home game, there are two or three guys who are decent enough players but everyone else is terrible (many of them have an image of the hands on their phone because they don't know what beats what). It's the typical scenario, everyone plays every two cards, limps every hand, ranges completely uncapped.

From my point of view it's just a bit of fun and I'm not too results oriented, I'm just having a few beers and splashing around... but it's always nice to win.

So, what's your strategy in this scenario? Do you limp along with the fish, or do you play tight aggressive?

Say for example you're in the CO with AQs, a hand that doesn't play well multi way, and everyone has limped behind. Do you raise or flat call? What are you doing with KQo in the SB? 76s, or QTs (two of my favs)? What do you do with AA or KK, do you just shove them?

I guess I'm happy to set mine for cheap with low and middling pocket pairs, so might limp along.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a home game like that. I almost always win by playing a lot of hands, for cheap, and betting huge when I get big hands. Usually, they get paid off.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like dodging the mine fields. Always like a diverse table. Playing with all skilled players, can get predictable. Sometimes limping in those type of games isn't a bad play. Those willing to call a raise, probably not folding. Trying to isolate with a real strong hand can be good move with less skilled players.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if it's just a game between friends and it's not worth anything, I join in the fun and adapt to the table I'm playing, then I play a looser range and I'm not even sure if I'm going to win or lose. Now if it’s worth money I’ll want to play my A game and win the tournament because when it’s worth it I’m not kidding ;)

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a home game like that. I almost always win by playing a lot of hands, for cheap, and betting huge when I get big hands. Usually, they get paid off.
Yeah, this seems like a good plan. See a lot of flops, and bet anything good, because SOMEONE is always calling.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Those are tough games. Just have fun and you might get lucky!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also play in similar home game with friends. Focus here is on the fun part with alcohol always present and buyin low enough (around 3$ in our case) so that nobody is angry if he/she looses. Regarding the game itself - in the initial stages when we are really deep stack i also play much more hands than i normally do hoping to hit good flop. Raise to isolate rarely works here as most people pay just to see flop and limping is very often also. At later stages i tight my range and play stronger hands looking for double up.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Home Game Strategy

Yeah, this seems like a good plan. See a lot of flops, and bet anything good, because SOMEONE is always calling.

And remember, you're playing with friends and most likely, everyone's drunk.. So, tilting should not apply to your game. Just enjoy!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

+1 I've been in this same situation at home games. Sometimes I play looser than other times, but I am always value betting against these calling stations and players that aren't capable of folding to much unless you bet really huge (and that in itself is risky because they could have any two cards). Just try not to bluff players like this too much - someone will call you: source being 1st-hand experience :D
p.s. It is good training for how to play patiently and tighter though :)

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to limp along more to keep a good table image and a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. You don't want to be perceived as gunning for the money while everyone else is having a beer and none too concerned.

D

Dr_Robert

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not to bluff a lot, stations will call.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games