New to texas holdem tournaments

M

magonical

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing low limit 4-8, got on to a consistent strategy that keeps me in the game.
I tried to up my game buy playing in a small tournament. Well I had fun while it lasted, began buy 5 betting on the opening if I had a premium hand. The reason behind that is I am not that good of a mind reader I rarely know what the other guy has in his hand. So I read the board and figure my chances. And it all ended when I raised $4,000 on AJ , unsuited, the
next player called, the third player goes all-in and I called so does the KJ. The called shows KJ, the all-in guy shows a pairs of tens. The flop is no help to the caller or the all-in guy. It ends with the all-in guys winning with tens.

I'll be back

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I love these new styles of games and tournaments always have so much fun playing it but never get along always lose, so always play at least not to lose a lot of fun and got me

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing low limit 4-8, got on to a consistent strategy that keeps me in the game.
I tried to up my game buy playing in a small tournament. Well I had fun while it lasted, began buy 5 betting on the opening if I had a premium hand. The reason behind that is I am not that good of a mind reader I rarely know what the other guy has in his hand. So I read the board and figure my chances. And it all ended when I raised $4,000 on AJ , unsuited, the
next player called, the third player goes all-in and I called so does the KJ. The called shows KJ, the all-in guy shows a pairs of tens. The flop is no help to the caller or the all-in guy. It ends with the all-in guys winning with tens.

I'll be back

So you are a limit poker player that is trying to transition into no-limit tournaments.

No limit poker requires a different mindset than what you are used to.

In a no-limit tournament you will often see players with a big pair eager to get all-in preflop or on the flop if they can.

Even AJ (which is a pretty good hand) is a losing dog to any pair or a better ace.

Usually any player willing to go all-in against AJ has it beat preflop in a no-limit tournament. There are exceptions like a player that is very very short in chips.

If you haven't already I would get 2 or 3 poker books that are dedicated to no-limit tournaments only. Different authors will have slightly different perspectives on the game.

You might enjoy a limit tournament better. Because in no-limit - drawing is very very expensive and you will miss your draw most of the time and be out of the tournament.

You need 3 or 4 players in the hand for a draw to be worthwhile so that if you win then you will have a massive stack.

I'm folding KJ to any raise in a tournament and frankly AJ as well. This is a more conservative approach but it gets me further.

I am always looking for limit players in a no-limit tournament because they still play a limit mentality draw-heavy game that is easy for me to exploit.

Good luck !

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules