Negreanu's title was taken away

D

Dmytrych

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Negreanu tried to made that kind of money and simply threw!maybe next year will take 1st place?

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at this time he is the top player without even a title.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Daniel seems like the kind of guy who would not want to win by error, so he's probably OK with losing the POY to the guy who deserved it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Daniel seems like the kind of guy who would not want to win by error, so he's probably OK with losing the POY to the guy who deserved it.

How is that any different from the rest of the population? I mean "who would want to win it... if they didn't really win it?" You don't get any extra money for it. It's just for bragging rights.

B

Biibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I adore DNegs, but he is far away from fair play with his angle shootings.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How is that any different from the rest of the population? I mean "who would want to win it... if they didn't really win it?" You don't get any extra money for it. It's just for bragging rights.

Unfortunately, there are many who would want to win at all costs, regardless of how they do it...one only has to watch soccer games to find so many players feigning injury to get a free kick or penalty shot...happens in other sports too...happens in politics...right?

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's the full story https://calvinayre.com/2019/11/12/p...campbell-is-awarded-poy-win-after-wsop-error/
Aaaaand here's Negreanu's very classy (in my opinion) blog about it all:
https://fullcontactpoker.com/the-wsop-poy-oopsie/
I put some choice quotes from that blog on a different thread on here yesterday, so if you can't be bothered reading the full articles, do a quick search of my username for the posts I posted yesterday! ;)
Thanks, that is an interesting read.

B

Biibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Angle shootings? When did that happen?

Theres been couple of cases where DNegs have done it, i'm not talking about that "missclick" hand but it was other hand (and i cannot from this sitting find it)
I believe i saw it on some Doug Polk Poker video, maybe some1 can confirm this and give a link also.

We all heard his opinion about angle shooting as well, and he has been defending players which have done this. "angle shooting is part of the game"

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres been couple of cases where DNegs have done it, i'm not talking about that "missclick" hand but it was other hand (and i cannot from this sitting find it)
I believe i saw it on some Doug Polk Poker video, maybe some1 can confirm this and give a link also.

We all heard his opinion about angle shooting as well, and he has been defending players which have done this. "angle shooting is part of the game"

I thought you were talking about something more recent. I think I heard about what you are referring to. I don't agree with angle shooting when it is done on purpose but I also think it is a part of the game that can happen sometimes happen. We as players just need to do our best to try and prevent it from happening while not being so quick to throw around accusations when we do think we see it.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Angle shootings? When did that happen?
He angle shoots a fair amount, such as for example putting in a really big raise with a very strong hand and then saying "Oops! Misclick!" as if he's read the chip values wrong, so that someone with a semi-strong hand calls his raise. But I don't personally consider that stuff to be unfair play. Bad etiquette, hmmm, okay maybe, but poker's a game of deception, so as long as a player isn't BREAKING any rules, it's all ok by me!

B

Biibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought you were talking about something more recent. I think I heard about what you are referring to. I don't agree with angle shooting when it is done on purpose but I also think it is a part of the game that can happen sometimes happen. We as players just need to do our best to try and prevent it from happening while not being so quick to throw around accusations when we do think we see it.

He angle shoots a fair amount, such as for example putting in a really big raise with a very strong hand and then saying "Oops! Misclick!" as if he's read the chip values wrong, so that someone with a semi-strong hand calls his raise. But I don't personally consider that stuff to be unfair play. Bad etiquette, hmmm, okay maybe, but poker's a game of deception, so as long as a player isn't BREAKING any rules, it's all ok by me!

Yeah, i'm not throwing stones at him because of that/those, but like i posted, it's not fair play. Bad etiquette would be correct phrase. Poker is totally game of deception, but when you try to find spots where you can get to see other players hand, that's a bit too much.

Tony Gs play against Hellmuth where he "didnt watch his cards" is something else, that was pure act of genius and a little dirty play, but i loved it. He didnt gain any advantage from Hellmuth, he just lied and that's OK.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It was a mistake in counting the points, it simply did justice by giving the title to Robert Campbell, the errors have to be corrected even so that there is no injustice.
:dancing2::confused::icon_rr::ahhhhh:

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough luck for Kid Poker but he seems to be handling it well.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, i'm not throwing stones at him because of that/those, but like i posted, it's not fair play. Bad etiquette would be correct phrase. Poker is totally game of deception, but when you try to find spots where you can get to see other players hand, that's a bit too much.

Tony Gs play against Hellmuth where he "didnt watch his cards" is something else, that was pure act of genius and a little dirty play, but i loved it. He didnt gain any advantage from Hellmuth, he just lied and that's OK.

Funny, I mentioned that same Tony G/Hellmuth hand on the Cardschat facebook page, only yesterday! I think that's maybe the worst example of bad etiquette I've personally ever seen from a pro player, without them actually breaking the rules - especially when you take the post-hand needle into account (Hellmuth leaves the game, Tony stands up and shakes his hand but then says something like "I think you should retire, I think it's over, Phil, you're not there anymore!" What. A. D**k! It's still ok, though, cos, c'mon Hellmuth, pay attention to the table when you're in a hand!

When you talk about players trying to find spots where they can see other players' hands, you're not talking about Negreanu, are you? I've never known him to do that...

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if Negreanu didn't win the POY, he still gets all the benefit of the hype and of being in the race. The biggest value for Daniel probably isn't the title itself but the attention from the conversation around it, and therefore a situation like this is almost ideal.

Props to him for always being so dedicated to the game and working so hard, showing up at every event etc. If POY was based on who cared the most about the wsop and was also a top player I'd have to give the Nod to Mr DNegs :)

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How exactly does he angle? I've watched hundreds of hours of his play from the last two decades and haven't seen him angle shoot once. Soul reads aren't angling.