live vs online poker

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is there so much difference between online and live poker?
The live poker flop is much more realistic
And there's not much magic on the river like in online poker
Do you agree or think differently?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Ok, I do not know what you mean by "the live poker flop is much more realistic" other than yes it's realistic because it is actual cards in real life..... I also don't know what " and ther's not much magic on the river like in online poker" other than maybe you are saying bad beats occur more frequently...... So to answer your question about why is there so much difference I would say when you play online you are playing against people from all over the world that have unlimited resources available to them during live play. Computer software, help from friends, HUD's, so naturally online will be much more difficult than playing live where everyone is on the same playing field.

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, I do not know what you mean by "the live poker flop is much more realistic" other than yes it's realistic because it is actual cards in real life..... I also don't know what " and ther's not much magic on the river like in online poker" other than maybe you are saying bad beats occur more frequently...... So to answer your question about why is there so much difference I would say when you play online you are playing against people from all over the world that have unlimited resources available to them during live play. Computer software, help from friends, HUD's, so naturally online will be much more difficult than playing live where everyone is on the same playing field.

If you do not understand, please read it again
I explained very clearly what the difference is
But I really do not understand what you mean when you say : ''online will be much more difficult than playing live where everyone is on the same playing field''
If you play live tournament with different players almost every day how you know to everyone has a same game?:confused:

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you do not understand, please read it again
I explained very clearly what the difference is
But I really do not understand what you mean when you say : ''online will be much more difficult than playing live where everyone is on the same playing field''
If you play live tournament with different players almost every day how you know to everyone has a same game?:confused:

You did not understand my post AT all apparently. first off you did not explain what I quoted very clearly at all. Second when I say "Online is much more difficult than live where everyone is on the same playing field" if you read all the reasons that I commented in that some post about all of the extra tools online players have that live players do not have, you would already have the answer to your question. Since you don't understand I will explain. When you play a tournament or cash game live you have only the knowledge that you bring to the table. Therefor everyone is on the same playing field because you can not bring up your HUD during live play to get instant statistics about players. You also can't use software like flopzilla and shove/fold charts like you can online during live play. Also you can't collude and have other players helping you like you can during online play. Now back to your quote you misunderstood my comment to say that I am referring to all players having the same knowledge base about poker, which isn't true at all. What is said was that all live players where on the same playing field meaning that all live players can only use the knowledge in their head and not other tools. Get it?

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did not understand my post AT all apparently. first off you did not explain what I quoted very clearly at all. Second when I say "Online is much more difficult than live where everyone is on the same playing field" if you read all the reasons that I commented in that some post about all of the extra tools online players have that live players do not have, you would already have the answer to your question. Since you don't understand I will explain. When you play a tournament or cash game live you have only the knowledge that you bring to the table. Therefor everyone is on the same playing field because you can not bring up your HUD during live play to get instant statistics about players. You also can't use software like flopzilla and shove/fold charts like you can online during live play. Also you can't collude and have other players helping you like you can during online play. Now back to your quote you misunderstood my comment to say that I am referring to all players having the same knowledge base about poker, which isn't true at all. What is said was that all live players where on the same playing field meaning that all live players can only use the knowledge in their head and not other tools. Get it?

But I can not see the answer to my question anywhere:
And there's not much magic on the river like in online poker....I really do not see in what part you responded to what I ask
I still see less how you connecting have my question with computer software, help from a friend, HUD....
Obviously, we are not talking about the same problem

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But I can not see the answer to my question anywhere:
And there's not much magic on the river like in online poker....I really do not see in what part you responded to what I ask
I still see less how you connecting have my question with computer software, help from a friend, HUD....

Obviously, we are not talking about the same problem

Let's try this a different way then... shall we.. what differences do you see between online and live poker?

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's try this a different way then... shall we.. what differences do you see between online and live poker?

Ok, for example, a player with 2% chance and only 3 exits on the river on online poker gets in 20% of cases
In live poker, this percentage can be up to 5%

Perhaps now it's clearer what I said

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, for example, a player with 2% chance and only 3 exits on the river on online poker gets in 20% of cases
In live poker, this percentage can be up to 5%

Perhaps now it's clearer what I said

No not clear... when you say 2% chance and only 3 exits... are exits referring to outs? Then you said online poker gets 20% of cases.... 20% cases of what? In live poker this percentage can up to 5% where are these statistics coming from?

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When they have 2% they hit 2% of the time, not 5%, not 20%

In each specific instance they'll either hit 100% of the time or 0% of the time, so you're likely experiencing survivorship bias.

When the long-shot fails to hit you don't take note, because that was "supposed to happen". But when it hits you're shocked and remember it.

Playing online you'll see hundreds of hands per hour, while playing live you're seeing 20-30 hands per hour.

So while playing online you'll experience many more of this low-probability outcomes in a shorter span of time, and then feel like "they're hitting 20% of the time instead of 2%".

If you use tracking software you'll see they're not in fact hitting at a skewed rate.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When they have 2% they hit 2% of the time, not 5%, not 20%

In each specific instance they'll either hit 100% of the time or 0% of the time, so you're likely experiencing survivorship bias.

When the long-shot fails to hit you don't take note, because that was "supposed to happen". But when it hits you're shocked and remember it.

Playing online you'll see hundreds of hands per hour, while playing live you're seeing 20-30 hands per hour.

So while playing online you'll experience many more of this low-probability outcomes in a shorter span of time, and then feel like "they're hitting 20% of the time instead of 2%".

If you use tracking software you'll see they're not in fact hitting at a skewed rate.

That's what he was trying to say................ geese I did not understand. yes I agree with this, if you think your odds change online vs live you are wrong it just seems that way because of more hands per hour

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought he was asking what the difference between online vs live like online being more difficult than live. only reasonable difference I could come up with

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought he was asking what the difference between online vs live like online being more difficult than live. only reasonable difference I could come up with

Statistics come from games

E.g..

In online poker so many hand finish like that:

Now go to sleep...good night!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 47
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Statistics come from games

E.g..

In online poker so many hand finish like that:

Now go to sleep...good night!

that is your opinion that "so many hands finish like that" odds don't change just your perception of them. Any abnormalities are going to happen but they even out over a long enough sample size. anything you are basing your question off is probably from a small sample

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure...you are right (for yourself)
I do not want to philosophy here
I just wanted to hear the opinions of the other players
Good night Memphis!

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The amount of hands you see leads to seeing a lot more situations and when playing online people or much more prone to make bad calls because you can actually see them. Live you see less hands, encounter larger bets and have to face the people you're playing against

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The amount of hands you see leads to seeing a lot more situations and when playing online people or much more prone to make bad calls because you can actually see them. Live you see less hands, encounter larger bets and have to face the people you're playing against

Ok,but I do not write about ''bad calls''
I appreciate your opinion but I can not agree with you
I'm talking about an extremely high percentage of "good calls" that loses on the river

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker omline you can not see the reaction of your opponents, already in live poker, you have how to study the way of playing of his players and some nervous tic that can make him show up to come a bluff.

L

LuckyRamen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's odd that you're asking for people's opinion. And then when they dont see it from your perspective you reject their answers....

Outs, odds, percentages, ratios. Non of these change online vs live. 5% is 5% in either scenario. 3 outs is 3 outs. You could be just "running bad". It happens to everyone. Long term these things even out.

Also dont confuse pre-flop all-ins where sometimes its 50/50 or 60/40 going into it. These numbers are important on decisions you make!

I hope you think about this more and realize what you're proposing isn't logical.

A

amidoingitright?

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it was the other way around. I pulled up a bad beat YouTube video the other day, and literally every river was magic. It was crazy! All live poker players, and they hit the river every time! Like, their 2 outers were hit 100%! Pure magic in live poker

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see that there are many professionals and professional players here

I have not seen this river in live poker for 20 years :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 40
Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker omline you can not see the reaction of your opponents, already in live poker, you have how to study the way of playing of his players and some nervous tic that can make him show up to come a bluff.

It's odd that you're asking for people's opinion. And then when they dont see it from your perspective you reject their answers....

Outs, odds, percentages, ratios. Non of these change online vs live. 5% is 5% in either scenario. 3 outs is 3 outs. You could be just "running bad". It happens to everyone. Long term these things even out.

Also dont confuse pre-flop all-ins where sometimes its 50/50 or 60/40 going into it. These numbers are important on decisions you make!

I hope you think about this more and realize what you're proposing isn't logical.

I thought it was the other way around. I pulled up a bad beat YouTube video the other day, and literally every river was magic. It was crazy! All live poker players, and they hit the river every time! Like, their 2 outers were hit 100%! Pure magic in live poker

Or maybe this in today tournament

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 31
K

KirbyCake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, online seems to have cards to be rigged more towards action to keep players interested in playing and to increase rake. If online was like live poker then players might be bored from folding since they want fast action and hands.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agreed, online seems to have cards to be rigged more towards action to keep players interested in playing and to increase rake. If online was like live poker then players might be bored from folding since they want fast action and hands.

People kill me with this stuff........ do you really believe that?

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people seem to think there are a lot more bad beats online but the thing they fail to recognize is that they play way more hands an hour than they can live.

Organize a Home Poker Game