How to react new players at live table

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When there is a clear new player at the live table how you treat them?

Few weeks ago I played in my local card club 100€ tournament and after that 1/1€ cash games and the new player came to table. He didn't know that if you want to raise the one chip is just a call and so on. He made many mistakes like that but I wanted to help him and he was happy for that and offered me beer and so. When he lost 3 buy-ins and left the table other guys in the table asked me that why you helped him. Next time when he comes back he would still be really fish without your help. He asked me some tips that would I play like that how he played and I said my honest opinion. For me the biggest reason why I wanted to help him was that he feels more comfortable at the table and get good memories from live poker and wants to come later again.

How you treat for the new players at the live table?

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Always make them comfortable. The worse they play, the more you should help them. Need to grow the game!

F

flanylpant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just try to be nice and not let them feel bad for being so new so they stay, u obviously want them to stay

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When there is a clear new player at the live table how you treat them?

Few weeks ago I played in my local card club 100€ tournament and after that 1/1€ cash games and the new player came to table. He didn't know that if you want to raise the one chip is just a call and so on. He made many mistakes like that but I wanted to help him and he was happy for that and offered me beer and so. When he lost 3 buy-ins and left the table other guys in the table asked me that why you helped him. Next time when he comes back he would still be really fish without your help. He asked me some tips that would I play like that how he played and I said my honest opinion. For me the biggest reason why I wanted to help him was that he feels more comfortable at the table and get good memories from live poker and wants to come later again.

How you treat for the new players at the live table?

You did everything right.

Despite leaving 3 buy-ins at the table he probably had as good of a time as he could.

Without your friendly help he would have had a more confusing experience and may not return. But now he will definitely return to practice the few things he learned and try to have a winning session.

Good luck !

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a slippery slope to talk strategy at the table though. I agree you should keep the fish happy but when it comes to asking for advice about how to play a hand it's hard to not go down the rabbit hole. Maybe just offer some common knowledge response to seem friendly and joke and change the subject as quickly as possible. It's one thing to be friendly and polite, it's quite another to help your opponents take your money.

Organize a Home Poker Game