How much to make add on for home tourney?

C

Cormack1234

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
At My monthly poker Home tournament we start with 2000 in chips have blinds starting at 10/20. We allow rebuys if you bust out in the first hour and next game we are going to have an “add on” at the end of the first hour for anyone who wants to boost their chips. What would be the ideal amount of chips for this add on? I was thinking 500 or 750 but could be way off.

Any input would be helpful.

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
At My monthly poker Home tournament we start with 2000 in chips have blinds starting at 10/20. We allow rebuys if you bust out in the first hour and next game we are going to have an “add on” at the end of the first hour for anyone who wants to boost their chips. What would be the ideal amount of chips for this add on? I was thinking 500 or 750 but could be way off.

Any input would be helpful.
In my opinion, taking into account the fact that the starting amount of chips is 2000 and the add on is available over an hour from the beginning,it should be at least 5000 chips.

C

Cormack1234

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh for some reason I was thinking the add on would be less than the initial amount of chips but yes what you are saying does make sense.

The only other thing is we try and keep the game four hours long (8-12).

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know what the point is. One says about the existing game and the number of chips, the other confirms what is not known.

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most poker houses make the initial stack value in the range of 3x. Credits should be at least 6000 o add on

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ahh for some reason I was thinking the add on would be less than the initial amount of chips but yes what you are saying does make sense.

The only other thing is we try and keep the game four hours long (8-12).
Generally, the Add On for an online tourney is larger than the starting stack for a little less than the cost of initial Buy In. Also, the site's profit is (again generally) not part of the Add On, so it's a "bargain". You can tweak this any way you want to for a home tourney.

There is a home game guide in the Strategy section here (way down):

https://www.cardschat.com/organize-home-game.php

The article suggests that the tourney is sure to end when the total chips in play are 20X the Big Blind (BB=5% of Chips). I wouldn't argue against that implication. I prefer a little less pressure to finish, and a little more pressure to play well. If you cap the level increases at 40X (2.5%) BB, the tourney may take a little longer, but shove fests are avoided. It can be done any way you wish, but remember that the total chips in play, in addition to level timing will determine when the tourney ends.

You can recalculate the total chips in play after Add Ons and perhaps skip a level or two, or adjust level timing. Or you can add a level or two by adjusting level timing to hit your target time. Just make sure the players know the potential level shenanigans before you perform them. Once you've done this for a few games, you will be able to more accurately predict what will happen at the end of the first hour and you can dispense with "adjustments" and just take your chances with total run time.

S

Spns777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for add on good amount of chips about 50% from buy-in.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It should be at least 4000-5000 chips.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game is going to be very long with a large add-on.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think with a starting stack of 2k an addon of maybe 3k or no add on at all and just continue rebuys for a full hour and once the hour is up your tourney just turns to a freezeout , and also you can adjust how fast your blind levels will be as well just do some tweaking play around with it for awhile until your fully comfortable with how the tourney goes ,also the people you play with should have some input as well considering they have to sit there and play and whatever the majority agrees on go with that hope ya have some luck pal .

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely 5000-6000. They are boosting the prize pool. If it runs an hour before add ons and blinds are raised every 10-15 minutes its only fair. Hope this information helps.

Organize a Home Poker Game