Live poker question

A

AZWOLINS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All- I was hoping you might be able to help clarify something that had me extremely upset on the felt yesterday. It wont leave my mind if I am in the wrong so I need some feedback please!

I’m in the big blind with a stack of roughly 34K (200/400) holding 57 of clubs. I defend my blind by calling a raise made by the C-O ($850). It goes call-call by the btn and myself to see a three way flop of 682 (rainbow). I bet $1200 on the flop; C-O and btn call. Turn comes a J of clubs (giving me a backdoor flush draw to accompany my open-ended straight draw) and I check. Cut off checks and the btn moves all in (for around 4.6K). I put out one pink chip (5K and said call) while C-O says “I’m all in too” (for around 4.9K). I turned my cards face up, as did the btn, and we see a river of 7. Btn caught a straight (holding 9,10) and the C-O mucks his hand. I asked why the C-O threw his cards in the muck without showing and he said “I didn’t have to”. I disagreed and grabbed his cards from the muck and flipped them face up. Everyone at the table got upset with me and said that I was in the wrong to show his hand without him wanting to… I said he was all in!!!!!!!! I PAID TO SEE THE CARDS and he should have flipped them over before the river (as we were all in three ways)!!! I believe that all three of us needed to flip face up before the river as we were all in but C-O refused and mucked. Please tell me if I am in the wrong here?

MrShove

MrShove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The house you're playing in may have different rules, but from what I understand all players must show their hands once nobody on the table can make any more moves. Since co and btn were all-in and you call, no more betting can take place so hands must be shown. Again the house may have different rules and if they do then you need to be sure you're playing by their rules.

Now as for etiquette in a live game I have no idea. I've unfortunately only had the privilege to play in one "real" (not a family home game) live setting, so somebody else on the forum will need to bring their knowledge into this situation.

Last edited:
G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I would say you are right and wrong. Yes, in tournaments (but not in cash) the cards should be face up before the river is dealt. However, you should ask the dealer to show and have the floor called over if its that important. I don't think you should ever be the one to turn up your opponents cards.

A

AZWOLINS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not Cash

This was a tourney. I chatted the other day with the TD and he said should have called him over and he agreed that his hand would have been exposed. Understandable.

L

likesithere

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I would say you are right and wrong. Yes, in tournaments (but not in cash) the cards should be face up before the river is dealt. However, you should ask the dealer to show and have the floor called over if its that important. I don't think you should ever be the one to turn up your opponents cards.
i agree the floor and the dealer should be notified and you should register the complaint and ask for a ruling rather than take matters into your own hands. was a ruling called on your actions?

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AZ, you were wrong to flip his cards from the muck yourself. The dealer should have flipped them before going into the muck. I am surprised the dealer did not force them face up, and I'm surprised the rest of the table let that go.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sounds like you were playing with a bunch of amateurs. Cards should have been shown but you shouldn't have been the one to physically do it.

Organize a Home Poker Game