Gross outs and hazards of live poker

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I was playing in a touney and reached down and grabbed my water bottle and took a swig. Not water. Some kind of sweet stuff, ugh. I realized it was the bottle of the guy next to me, and although it was in a water bottle by my feet it was soda or something, something pink. Kind of grossed me out a bit although the guy looked pretty healthy so I hope didn't catch anything. I'm sure I'm not the first to make this mistake. Any other hazards to watch out for at the poker table?

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many hazards in live poker:
1) Sitting beside someone who is very big...the problem may arise if you adjust your seating position angled away, as long term, this may cause back soreness.
2) Someone at the table hacking, sneezing and wheezing...stay out of pots with them...trust me, you don't want THEIR chips!
3) Finger food eaters at the table...if they are eating wings, find another, less greasy table.
I am sure others will add to the list.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you are right! There's something to be said for the comforts of online play.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amanda, I noticed that you are on the list for participation in the Colossus this year...remember to take plenty of hand sanitizer and granola bars that you can eat with one hand...
and hope to meet you there in person...I shall be the one in rubber gloves and a surgical mask! LOL

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wait until you are sitting next to The Smell

M

martycaridi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, the smell...it never fails. When I sit at a table, and there are open seats are either side of me I start praying that it is somebody with a halfway decent sense of hygiene.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you are right! There's something to be said for the comforts of online play.

Plus you dont have to pay for hand sanitizer lol. I used to get colds all the time live

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I was playing in a touney and reached down and grabbed my water bottle and took a swig. Not water. Some kind of sweet stuff, ugh. I realized it was the bottle of the guy next to me, and although it was in a water bottle by my feet it was soda or something, something pink. Kind of grossed me out a bit although the guy looked pretty healthy so I hope didn't catch anything. I'm sure I'm not the first to make this mistake. Any other hazards to watch out for at the poker table?

I've had this problem at events other than poker as well. Nothing quite like taking a swig of your iced tea, only find somthing fizzy instead. I have taken to bringing my own steel bottle that attaches to my bag via a snaplink. That way not only do I find my own, but other people leave it alone as well. At least it helps prevent the unintentional grab. Another thing to remember is that live games in a friend's house/flat are different than live public access games. I used to play tournament chess and the same is true. Big difference between a club tourney and a public one. Standards of cleanliness and hygiene and even inter-personal politeness/rudeness vary widely as the possibilities for variety among entrants go up.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, the smell...it never fails. When I sit at a table, and there are open seats are either side of me I start praying that it is somebody with a halfway decent sense of hygiene.

Another thing that is tricky to negotiate is over-powerful eau-de-toilet. I suffer from pollen allergies, and I mean suf-f-fer. Whenever a dame sits next to me with flowery scent piled on too thick, I not only am miserable, but I may have an allergy attack and have to leave. Some strong perfumes don't aggravate, but the eau-de-toilet are the worst, especially if floral scent is the main focus. If they bought the really expensive stuff, it usually doesn't bother me.

M

martycaridi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing that is tricky to negotiate is over-powerful eau-de-toilet. I suffer from pollen allergies, and I mean suf-f-fer. Whenever a dame sits next to me with flowery scent piled on too thick, I not only am miserable, but I may have an allergy attack and have to leave. Some strong perfumes don't aggravate, but the eau-de-toilet are the worst, especially if floral scent is the main focus. If they bought the really expensive stuff, it usually doesn't bother me.

How do you even approach somebody about that? “Excuse me ma’am, could you please wash your neck and behind your ears so that I don’t throw up all over the table?“.

lackerboy

lackerboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, I understand that you need to monitor hygiene and health, but I think that nothing terrible will happen.

Organize a Home Poker Game