Do you try to read your opponent's face in live poker?

gabrielcsgo93

gabrielcsgo93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you try to read your oppenent by his face in live poker?

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but I probably spend more time focusing on the hands. Most players are fairly good at dissembling and not showing emotion with their face. But they usually find it difficult to keep their hands out of the picture. They reach for chips but do it a little differently when they have a hand. They move a little faster or maybe a lot more slower. Some times they will hesitate just a little little and so on. I watch the face when the board is being dealt. If they hit the board they tend to tighten up a little...you can see it in their face. often around the jaw. I'll watch the eyes to see where they look and how fast they move....speed sometimes indicates hidden excitement.

The hardest read is the player who called preflop and missed the board. He has nothing and is therefore not emotionally cranked up. His relaxed posture and slow movements often lead to a fold but sometimes he's also thinking thru a bluff. Face reading doesn't help a lot in this case. That's when you will often see a player start talking to his relaxed opponent to try and provoke a reaction. It is certainly an art learning to read a player and not one easily mastered.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The underlining question is: "Do I search for reliable poker tells in a live game?" The answer to that is "yes." Do I try to decipher a "poker face?" Sure, if I can, but real life psychology (and in poker is no different) is nothing like Hollywood poker depictions. In real life, a good poker player knows that the face is one of the most deceptive parts of the body. Obviously it isn't too hard to fake a smile or squinting eyes (fake "well" is another debate in itself).

As the post above mentions: hands are much more reliable than the face. However, most people will probably learn more from betting patterns than they will about some tell that may or may not be a fake tell (opponent doing this intentionally to "double-cross" your thinking).

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I m not a good player in online poker, but i m worst in living poker. I cant hide my emotion. then i dont play live poker

C

Csharp123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker read

I try to read players eyes that's why I wear shadesomething when playing live

C

cartonand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Body, hand, movement, face, anything count

DanyDiablo

DanyDiablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I always try to read the signals of my opponents playing poker offline ..... and many times I am wrong !!:confused: loloThat's what I miss most about offline poker. Good hands.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The underlining question is: "Do I search for reliable poker tells in a live game?" The answer to that is "yes." Do I try to decipher a "poker face?" Sure, if I can, but real life psychology (and in poker is no different) is nothing like Hollywood poker depictions. In real life, a good poker player knows that the face is one of the most deceptive parts of the body. Obviously it isn't too hard to fake a smile or squinting eyes (fake "well" is another debate in itself).

As the post above mentions: hands are much more reliable than the face. However, most people will probably learn more from betting patterns than they will about some tell that may or may not be a fake tell (opponent doing this intentionally to "double-cross" your thinking).

I also think that the body can say much more than facial expression. It's harder to control)

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would honestly say no...the cards and the way the action proceeds tel a lot just like online play works. So being able to pick up a live tell for me is just a bonus. So i don't rely much on life tells

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have tried in the past but I am not very good at it.:):):)

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. My answer is always. Yes sir.

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

It is mandatory to monitor the reactions. I can't put the holdem manager there. :) I always have to bring my own hm into the room in my head :)

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I practically never played live poker, only with friends, but one thing I'm sure, it must be very easy to notice when I have cards or I'm bluffing, because playing at home in front of the computer I'm already sweating...

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes! Is very important try read the opponent face.. its the way to play live poker and be more profit![emoji41]

Captain Harlock

Captain Harlock

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A good book written by a former FBI agent, I believe, is called "What Every BODY is Saying". While not directly related to poker it is good book on reading people in stressful situations, which translates to poker well.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think that looking for tells on opponents in live poker is one of the most parts of the game.

What do you think? You like to go for reads and feel people out?

I do find though, that rather than looking for specific little maneurisms like the KGB oreo tell that it's more effective to just gauge the general comfort level. Do they seem confident and comfortable, or nervous and anxious.

That generally gives me the information I need to help swing close decisions to a clear choice. It's something that Joe Navarro talked about in his book read em and reap as well, to get a feel for their overall baseline and noticing when they deviate from it.

Hope that helps! :cool:

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, sometimes it helps but if you don't know people their emotions are so polar and unreadable

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, in live poker this is one of the important points. The main thing here is to pay attention not only to the face, but to how your opponent sits, what he does with his hands, whether he is tense or relaxed. In order to learn how to read your opponent, you need to fully study the psychology of his behavior. Because when you watch the professionals play on TV, their facial expressions are always the same and it is practically impossible to read their hand only by the expression on their face, especially if they are wearing glasses.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In live poker, it is imperative to be able to read the players, not everyone succeeds right away, but over time this skill comes.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
time is ticking in live poker I always look for the best hands to play and when I am not betting, using hand analysis to determine a level for each player I seek to be aggressive

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think that the body can say much more than facial expression. It's harder to control)
I'd say if you concentrate on face your body can give something and if you concentrate on your body your face can show something.

F

FluDhs

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes but I probably spend more time focusing on the hands. Most players are fairly good at dissembling and not showing emotion with their face. But they usually find it difficult to keep their hands out of the picture. They reach for chips but do it a little differently when they have a hand. They move a little faster or maybe a lot more slower. Some times they will hesitate just a little little and so on. I watch the face when the board is being dealt. If they hit the board they tend to tighten up a little...you can see it in their face. often around the jaw. I'll watch the eyes to see where they look and how fast they move....speed sometimes indicates hidden excitement.

The hardest read is the player who called preflop and missed the board. He has nothing and is therefore not emotionally cranked up. His relaxed posture and slow movements often lead to a fold but sometimes he's also thinking thru a bluff. Face reading doesn't help a lot in this case. That's when you will often see a player start talking to his relaxed opponent to try and provoke a reaction. It is certainly an art learning to read a player and not one easily mastered.

Wow! I liked that! I really didn't thought of it being really usefull but maybe i will start paying more attention to it.

Thanks for you tips.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say if you concentrate on face your body can give something and if you concentrate on your body your face can show something.
Therefore, as Miyamoto Musashi said, one must concentrate on the spirit of victory))

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not just their face but every action and mannerism. What they are trying to tell me and anything that contradicts.

One person I was observing had a vein in his neck that would throb whenever he had a monster hand. Poor guy. I hope he is playing in a hoodie and turtle neck sweater these days because he would likely have gone broke otherwise.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The face doesn't do that much for me.

Like another poster said - the eyes have more information.

In general I like to observe my opponent's body stature.

I'm always looking for Strong/Not Strong binary reads.

Good luck !

Organize a Home Poker Game