Do you play worse when YOU'RE hosting poker night?

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On average, I do MUCH better at my friends' house games than I do when I'm hosting poker nights at my place. I'm wondering if it's cos subconsciously I feel guilty about taking money from friends and friends-of-friends whom I've invited to come over to mine - or more accurately, maybe I don't fully concentrate and play my A-game, cos I don't want it to APPEAR like I've only invited them over to win money from them. Does anyone else experience similar?

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is possible to experience this type of feeling at some point but remember that poker is a game where money comes and goes and most likely, they do not experience that feeling when taking your money would advise you not to play with people with whom have or feel that kind of feeling of friendship so you will be less affected. luck

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is possible to experience this type of feeling at some point but remember that poker is a game where money comes and goes and most likely, they do not experience that feeling when taking your money would advise you not to play with people with whom have or feel that kind of feeling of friendship so you will be less affected. luck

That's the difficulty, though, I WANT to host poker nights for my mates round at mine cos it's a really fun social activity, I always have a great time when any of them host poker nights but they don't do it very often, so more than two thirds of the time it's me arranging and hosting them. But most of the lads who come aren't very into poker, certainly less into it than me, they just come for the drinking and the banter, so I guess that's why I feel guilty about taking the game seriously and beating them when it's at my place... And then I DON'T beat them, I seem to keep being the bubble boy!

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live poker always after 6pm. So usually there is a night. It's really too hard because you want to sleep, you should think quickly but you are slowpoke... So it's difficult but not impossible :) So try it at night, try it at 6 hours before it :D And you will be always prepared for game :)

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I do an event I always worry that everyone is having fun, maybe this concern can affect me but I never thought about it.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I do an event I always worry that everyone is having fun, maybe this concern can affect me but I never thought about it.

So, you haven't noticed whether or not it affects your results?

romka

romka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live poker with friends, on a trifle, to be honest, to play live is more interesting, more emotions, very cool, I advise everyone

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol so true , I play like crap when I host and play just about every hand mabe its a state of mind where u don’t wanna feel like your robbing your friends.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol so true , I play like crap when I host and play just about every hand mabe its a state of mind where u don’t wanna feel like your robbing your friends.

Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head. At the last poker night I hosted I surprised myself by winning the warm-up tourney, but it was absolutely an example of luck overpowering skill, I sucked out soooo many times! But then, maybe cos of guilt at "robbing my friends" I played reeeeedonkulously loose in the main event tourney, busted out first and found myself dealing cards for the remaining 3 hours!