Confusion with river raise...

W

Whammy88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

Just looking for opinions on a specific situation that happened at a game I was at during the weekend. Tried looking for examples online but didn't find anything.

Player A bet 2000 on the river. Player B raised to 4000, verbally stated it and put the chips down. Player A thought it was just a call but instantly turned their cards over.

As this was happening, there was a lot of chatter at the table. Player A didn't hear the verbal raise and thought it was a call.

Player B did have the winning hand but should player A have to pay the additional 2000? There was no verbal call from Player A but the cards were flipped thinking it was a showdown.

I would imagine the cards were classed as mucked and the extra 2000 shouldn't be given to Player B.

Flipping it round, if Player A had the winning hand, they still wouldn't take the pot as the cards were mucked.

What do you think?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Hi all

Just looking for opinions on a specific situation that happened at a game I was at during the weekend. Tried looking for examples online but didn't find anything.

Player A bet 2000 on the river. Player B raised to 4000, verbally stated it and put the chips down. Player A thought it was just a call but instantly turned their cards over.

As this was happening, there was a lot of chatter at the table. Player A didn't hear the verbal raise and thought it was a call.

Player B did have the winning hand but should player A have to pay the additional 2000? There was no verbal call from Player A but the cards were flipped thinking it was a showdown.

I would imagine the cards were classed as mucked and the extra 2000 shouldn't be given to Player B.

Flipping it round, if Player A had the winning hand, they still wouldn't take the pot as the cards were mucked.

What do you think?
If the chips went over the line verbalised or not, then it is a raise and as player A showed his hand face up then to me that is a call, if they were face down then it's a fold only if they are in the muck. If player A isn't paying attention then it's his own fault, if he flips his hand up and wins it's still a call afaik.

There may be some rule that covers that last part if player A wins. :dontknow: Flipping your cards over doesn't muck your hand.

:top:

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Player A hand is supposed to be dead but difference places have all sort of different rules and interpretations a tournament official might rule otherwise.