Biggest difference?

T

ThatGuyTim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve only played online poker in my life. Was wondering someone who has played both live and online poker- what’s the biggest difference in playing live to online? The clear one being you could be in your underwear online haha.

Thank you for answering. Goodluck at the tables!

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference between the 2 is Overall Betting circumstances. So playing a 1/2 table Live (from my experiences) A $4 bet is a laughable bet , and most people will call that in a heartbeat. Online I've found out that if you Bet $4 the entire table will fold 9 times out of 10. Again these are my experiences so everyone elses experiences will probably be different. Also I have more fun at live games because I can interact with people. if I'm at a table of unknowns online usually nobody Is speaking in the chat. Tourneys are a little different, theres a Lot of Loose players online in some of these tourneys and im talking like $25+ not micros. It seems to me its because people can use points or do a damn wheel spin to get into bigger tourneys so the value of them being in isn't that high so they can just throw money around. Live Tourneys even a simple $25 one people are SUPER tight usually so you can figure out peoples ranges in a matter of a few hands. Each has their ups and Downs , I like Online because I can literally play anywhere and everywhere. I prefer Live poker though

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience, the differences between live and online is that usually live if you're playing a cash game you usually have to wait until your name is called. However when you finish your session and make a profit, you can get your cash immediately as opposed to waiting 24 hours for your Bitcoin withdrawal. Plus live, you can spot a ton of tells.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You may begin to try to play with some friends, the live experience with people you love, for me, is the most fun thing on poker world. And play with real money, please!

T

ThatGuyTim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference between the 2 is Overall Betting circumstances. So playing a 1/2 table Live (from my experiences) A $4 bet is a laughable bet , and most people will call that in a heartbeat. Online I've found out that if you Bet $4 the entire table will fold 9 times out of 10. Again these are my experiences so everyone elses experiences will probably be different. Also I have more fun at live games because I can interact with people. if I'm at a table of unknowns online usually nobody Is speaking in the chat. Tourneys are a little different, theres a Lot of Loose players online in some of these tourneys and im talking like $25+ not micros. It seems to me its because people can use points or do a damn wheel spin to get into bigger tourneys so the value of them being in isn't that high so they can just throw money around. Live Tourneys even a simple $25 one people are SUPER tight usually so you can figure out peoples ranges in a matter of a few hands. Each has their ups and Downs , I like Online because I can literally play anywhere and everywhere. I prefer Live poker though

Wow thank you for the in-depth reply. Seems like I would be totally lost playing live based on this. Guess when I do I should first stake out tables see the playing styles then return on a different day with a better understanding!

M

MicroBratt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Main big difference is the time, online has a small time level in and breaks. What's the average time per level 10 min +, live a 15 min is considered a super turbo game. Live tournament buy ins are $100 plus, gotta love the $10 buy in online to win the same amount as a live $120, besides the triple field you have to get through.:)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most live players don't got out to play and fold a lot of hands, they go out to play. As has already been said, initial raises are very often 6x or more. And you'll find a lot of players are playing short stacked (<50BB). So you have to be very aware of SPR. Also for most entry level games ($200NLH, $300NLH) you find very little 3-betting and overall bet sizing will be smaller after the flop, For example, $200NLH, UTG opens for $12, gets 4 callers so pot is $60, flop comes and UTG will bet $15 or $20.

For other aspects of playing live for the 1st time, see my post https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/playing-live-1-2-nlhe-cash-204657/

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're trying to start playing live first make sure you can conceal your excitement or anger, when live people can see how you react to looking at your hole cards or what you do when the flop comes out and can quickly figure out whether it was good or bad for you and adjust their play accordingly.

T

ThatGuyTim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most live players don't got out to play and fold a lot of hands, they go out to play. As has already been said, initial raises are very often 6x or more. And you'll find a lot of players are playing short stacked (<50BB). So you have to be very aware of SPR. Also for most entry level games ($200NLH, $300NLH) you find very little 3-betting and overall bet sizing will be smaller after the flop, For example, $200NLH, UTG opens for $12, gets 4 callers so pot is $60, flop comes and UTG will bet $15 or $20.

For other aspects of playing live for the 1st time, see my post https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/playing-live-1-2-nlhe-cash-204657/

Wow very in-depth and throughly thought out thread here! Answered a lot of questions that I didn’t even know I had. Thank you so much for sharing. Would definitely recommend anyone who moght have any questions to give it a read!

T

ThatGuyTim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're trying to start playing live first make sure you can conceal your excitement or anger, when live people can see how you react to looking at your hole cards or what you do when the flop comes out and can quickly figure out whether it was good or bad for you and adjust their play accordingly.

Yeah I feel concealing my excitement will be very tough for me, arghhh.

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more you play the better you will become at it, it just takes time and practice