Angle shot and/or reason to call floor, or mistake?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was playing live other night at my local card room. Table was pretty active, good mix of players. Player to my immediate left appeared to be a typical aggro player who engaged in quite a bit of speech play.

Earlier in session I was on button with AJ off, I open raise, he calls, flop blanks but K on flop, he checks, I c bet 3/4 pot, he calls, turn is whiff, no obvious draws, he checks, I check, river is blanked, he checks, I bet about 1/2 pot, he thinks for a minute then calls and shows AQ to my AJ so he wins high card A Q kicker and goes "I put you on that exact hand AJo I knew that was what you had" which I took as clear speech play. It was at showdown after all action was complete, fair enough.

Now here's the hand where I wonder:

A little later I get A10 in SB and open raise as most of table has folded (a bit loose here but table was limping a lot and I was getting pots with most of my flop c-bets this evening) and this guy calls.

Flop has a K on it and also a 10, so I've paired up, he checks, I bet about half pot. He calls. Before next card is even fully down on table he goes "I check." Now at my local room it's common to see some like to "check dark" but he didn't say "check dark" but "I check" and did so out of turn. It's debatable how far the turn card was in the dealing motion so unclear if he saw the next card or not.

I decide to bet about 3/4 pot and he insta calls...

In hindsight I think he announced check out of turn intentionally and was holding a hand like KQ or something like two pair and figured I'd c bet here. Obviously if he announced check in turn there'd be no issue and it'd be a basic check/call move. Sure it's possible he figured he was beat and just checked but then the insta call was odd. It did not appear he was distracted either.

Should I have called this out or asked floor for ruling? Was this an angle shooting type speech play ?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I'd have to experience the player doing it 2-3 times more before calling the floor about it. It's the dealer's job to 'admonish' players for speaking actions out-of-turn so maybe just a reminder to the dealer would have sufficed.

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I'd have to experience the player doing it 2-3 times more before calling the floor about it. It's the dealer's job to 'admonish' players for speaking actions out-of-turn so maybe just a reminder to the dealer would have sufficed.

Yeah, i agree. You really have to be sure that he's doing something with malicious intent, otherwise we open the flood gates to any criticism any slowpoke points out that makes them uncomfortable.
It seems like it probably was kind of sketchy, but again, it's super subjective. And i think we should all err on the homeostatic side, just take it easy and ask the guy not to act out of turn.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yeah, i agree. You really have to be sure that he's doing something with malicious intent, otherwise we open the flood gates to any criticism any slowpoke points out that makes them uncomfortable.
It seems like it probably was kind of sketchy, but again, it's super subjective. And i think we should all err on the homeostatic side, just take it easy and ask the guy not to act out of turn.

Thanks! Makes sense to monitor and see if it happened more than once at the table rather than immediately call it out.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Doesn't seem like a big issue to me. Am I reading it right? It was his turn to act after the community board card was dealt.. but he announced his action as the card was being dealt? No real difference in outcome. If there's a rule against this, the dealer should be correcting the player.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was playing live other night at my local card room. Table was pretty active, good mix of players. Player to my immediate left appeared to be a typical aggro player who engaged in quite a bit of speech play.

Earlier in session I was on button with AJ off, I open raise, he calls, flop blanks but K on flop, he checks, I c bet 3/4 pot, he calls, turn is whiff, no obvious draws, he checks, I check, river is blanked, he checks, I bet about 1/2 pot, he thinks for a minute then calls and shows AQ to my AJ so he wins high card A Q kicker and goes "I put you on that exact hand AJo I knew that was what you had" which I took as clear speech play. It was at showdown after all action was complete, fair enough.

Now here's the hand where I wonder:

A little later I get A10 in SB and open raise as most of table has folded (a bit loose here but table was limping a lot and I was getting pots with most of my flop c-bets this evening) and this guy calls.

Flop has a K on it and also a 10, so I've paired up, he checks, I bet about half pot. He calls. Before next card is even fully down on table he goes "I check." Now at my local room it's common to see some like to "check dark" but he didn't say "check dark" but "I check" and did so out of turn. It's debatable how far the turn card was in the dealing motion so unclear if he saw the next card or not.

I decide to bet about 3/4 pot and he insta calls...

In hindsight I think he announced check out of turn intentionally and was holding a hand like KQ or something like two pair and figured I'd c bet here. Obviously if he announced check in turn there'd be no issue and it'd be a basic check/call move. Sure it's possible he figured he was beat and just checked but then the insta call was odd. It did not appear he was distracted either.

Should I have called this out or asked floor for ruling? Was this an angle shooting type speech play ?

How did the hand play out? Did he bet or check the river, and did you bet or call? Who eventually won? If he was check raising a monster hand, he could have been trying to convince you that he has nothing. So, I'm inclined to think that, even in the worst case scenario, he was guilty of being a jerk, but not something that would require a floor manager ruling.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doesn't seem like a big issue to me. Am I reading it right? It was his turn to act after the community board card was dealt.. but he announced his action as the card was being dealt? No real difference in outcome. If there's a rule against this, the dealer should be correcting the player.

Nope I was first to act, he announced check before the turn card was even down on the felt and before I could act.

How did the hand play out? Did he bet or check the river, and did you bet or call? Who eventually won? If he was check raising a monster hand, he could have been trying to convince you that he has nothing. So, I'm inclined to think that, even in the worst case scenario, he was guilty of being a jerk, but not something that would require a floor manager ruling.

I checked the river, he shoved.

Often when players act out of turn the dealers call it out and/or the player apologizes. This guy maybe made an error but seemed like as you said maybe just being a bit of a jerk.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope I was first to act, he announced check before the turn card was even down on the felt and before I could act.

I checked the river, he shoved.

Often when players act out of turn the dealers call it out and/or the player apologizes. This guy maybe made an error but seemed like as you said maybe just being a bit of a jerk.

He was clearly feigning weakness because he was strong. Or at least that is the story he is trying to sell and he is in position.

In our room his out-of-turn verbal is binding if you check to him. If you bet, then he could call-raise-fold regardless of OOT action.

Good fold I think ?

Good luck !