Is this a Tell?

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,
I have noticed this on most if not all players i played before especially on those i have sat with a couple of times before.
It is the way you bet with your Chips.
Example;
NLH 1/2
Chips Denomination are $1-$5-$10-$25-$100

Scenario;
Villain bet into a pot of $150 on the river for $100

A) He chip it with 4x$25
B) He chip it with 1x$100
C) He chip it with a mixture of $1 to $25

I don't know if anyone does take note on this but i always if not 100% sure that when (B) occurred, it's always the Nuts or monster hand. Which means it's never a bluff.
But whenever i saw (C), it's like more of a bluff.

I thinks it's more of a psychology mindset of a player that he is confident with his bet so he is giving all out attempt to take the pot. Which is why the willingness to ship out the biggest Denomination.

Please share me your opinion.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never paid much attention to that, but it would seem remote to me that any player would play the same denominations the same way all the time.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never paid much attention to that, but it would seem remote to me that any player would play the same denominations the same way all the time.

From my observation, there's alot players are behaving that way. Whenever they use those big denominations chips, it's always a confident bet.

Chechiing

Chechiing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,
I have noticed this on most if not all players i played before especially on those i have sat with a couple of times before.
It is the way you bet with your Chips.
Example;
NLH 1/2
Chips Denomination are $1-$5-$10-$25-$100

Scenario;
Villain bet into a pot of $150 on the river for $100

A) He chip it with 4x$25
B) He chip it with 1x$100
C) He chip it with a mixture of $1 to $25

I don't know if anyone does take note on this but i always if not 100% sure that when (B) occurred, it's always the Nuts or monster hand. Which means it's never a bluff.
But whenever i saw (C), it's like more of a bluff.

I thinks it's more of a psychology mindset of a player that he is confident with his bet so he is giving all out attempt to take the pot. Which is why the willingness to ship out the biggest Denomination.

Please share me your opinion.
Sounds interesting. Makes me think about what goes in my mind when I apply either A,B or C. Mind if I take your thread and send it to a Tell expert?

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds interesting. Makes me think about what goes in my mind when I apply either A,B or C. Mind if I take your thread and send it to a Tell expert?

No i don't mind at all.

To explain more clearly;

Villain have $562 stack consist of 1x$100, 8x$25, and remaining balance of smaller denom.
Villain bet on river $100.
Villain ship the $100 denom instead of 4x$25 or whatever combination of smaller chips.

I observed that whenever this happened, surely it's a very confident bet that he will have That $100 chips back to his stash.

Example, If i flop nut flush with KQd,
flop Ad 2d 5d
turn 7h
river 7s

If villain bet $100 with that $100 denomination chips, the brain will want me to fold even if my heart refused to.

Last edited:
FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its interesting, I don't remember if I am A, B or C.
It can be the bigger denomination the stronger the hand is instead of looking for smaller denom.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be the bigger denomination the stronger the hand is instead of looking for smaller denom.

Exactly what i mean.
It's abit of psychology thingy. Just like if you have a piece of $100, 2x$50, 8x$10 and 4x$5 in your wallet, will you pay your $100 for gas at the station with;

1) 2x$50
2) 1x$100
3) mixture of denom

Normally we would love to keep the bigger notes in our wallet. Take me for example, in my country, Singapore, we have denomination of SGD$1,000 (USD $725) and even a piece of $10,000
Whenever i go out clubbing, i will have a piece of $1000 note tucked into the side pocket of my wallet and of course a couple hundreds and fifties. I will not use that piece of big denom unless i HAD to.

So to conclude, usually we will not use the big denom unless wo don't have enough of the smaller ones to make up the number or, we are really confident that the bet will win and have the big chips back.

Poker Tells