5-10 Persons, 5 colors, 500 chips

S

Salomo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First time playing poker. Usually around 5-10 players. I have 100 white, 100 red, 100, blue, 100 green and 100 black. We prefer quick rounds to keep it fun. How should I distribute the chips and how should I set up the “tournament”. We play without real money.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I see that you are searching the site for tourney setup info. There is lots of it. Most of it is pretty good, but remember, your situation is unique. Try to adapt the specific info to your situation and change your situation to match the general guidelines.

From this thread:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/home-poker-games-how-set-them-362307/

I responded with this:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gen...r-games-how-set-them-362307/post-4129257.html

Specifically;

In a ten player (starting) tournament, decisions must be made regarding the length of time you desire the tourney to run, and whether or not to allow re-buys. Chip values should increase by 4-5X between denominations. Structure the blinds so that they become about 20% of the TOTAL CHIPS IN PLAY (including re-buys) when you want the game to end. For example, if you want a 10 player tourney with no rebuys to end in less than 3 hours, schedule the BB to reach .2T at the three hour mark where T equals 10X the starting stack. In other words, a ten player, 3K starting stack game will tend to be over by the time BB reaches 6K, if you want a three hour game, make the BB reach 6K at the 3 hour mark. Note that a crazy home game will probably end before this depending on the aggressiveness of play.

Once you know the number of players and blind timing, assign values to your (I’m assuming non denominated) chips. The smallest denom may be eliminated during chip-up – will it be? If it will, then it doesn’t have to be (read “should not be”) the most plentiful chip on the table. If re-buys will be allowed, don’t give players a fully broken down starting stack, use a few large chips for each re-buy – the change is already on the table.

For example, starting with 5K per player, the following starting stack size, with the blind level structure listed in the article, allows for the 25’s to be eliminated after the fifth (200/400) level
8X 25
8X 100
8X 500
1X 1000.
If there are ten runners and one rebuy allowed per runner, then you need 80X 25, 80X 100, 80X 500, and 60X 1000 plus 2K in “chip up” chips (20X 100, 4X 500, or 2X 1000). This is a total of 302-320 chips in a world of perfect breakdown.

*Note - If you can smoothly run a home tournament with antes involved – you are a Home Tournament Director God!!

I would recommend determining how long you want each tournament to last and working backward from there. Blind level jumps are usually double or less and dictated by timing that allows everyone to play at least one hand from each position at each level. In a home game where you want things to move quickly, don't try to make it an online turbo with 3 minute blind levels, people just won't be able to keep up. To move along a live tourney, make the blind increases a little bigger and keep timing at least ten minutes per level.

S

Salomo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see that you are searching the site for tourney setup info. There is lots of it. Most of it is pretty good, but remember, your situation is unique. Try to adapt the specific info to your situation and change your situation to match the general guidelines.

From this thread:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/home-poker-games-how-set-them-362307/

I responded with this:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gen...r-games-how-set-them-362307/post-4129257.html

Specifically;

In a ten player (starting) tournament, decisions must be made regarding the length of time you desire the tourney to run, and whether or not to allow re-buys. Chip values should increase by 4-5X between denominations. Structure the blinds so that they become about 20% of the TOTAL CHIPS IN PLAY (including re-buys) when you want the game to end. For example, if you want a 10 player tourney with no rebuys to end in less than 3 hours, schedule the BB to reach .2T at the three hour mark where T equals 10X the starting stack. In other words, a ten player, 3K starting stack game will tend to be over by the time BB reaches 6K, if you want a three hour game, make the BB reach 6K at the 3 hour mark. Note that a crazy home game will probably end before this depending on the aggressiveness of play.

Once you know the number of players and blind timing, assign values to your (I’m assuming non denominated) chips. The smallest denom may be eliminated during chip-up – will it be? If it will, then it doesn’t have to be (read “should not be”) the most plentiful chip on the table. If re-buys will be allowed, don’t give players a fully broken down starting stack, use a few large chips for each re-buy – the change is already on the table.

For example, starting with 5K per player, the following starting stack size, with the blind level structure listed in the article, allows for the 25’s to be eliminated after the fifth (200/400) level
8X 25
8X 100
8X 500
1X 1000.
If there are ten runners and one rebuy allowed per runner, then you need 80X 25, 80X 100, 80X 500, and 60X 1000 plus 2K in “chip up” chips (20X 100, 4X 500, or 2X 1000). This is a total of 302-320 chips in a world of perfect breakdown.

*Note - If you can smoothly run a home tournament with antes involved – you are a Home Tournament Director God!!

I would recommend determining how long you want each tournament to last and working backward from there. Blind level jumps are usually double or less and dictated by timing that allows everyone to play at least one hand from each position at each level. In a home game where you want things to move quickly, don't try to make it an online turbo with 3 minute blind levels, people just won't be able to keep up. To move along a live tourney, make the blind increases a little bigger and keep timing at least ten minutes per level.
I used this version 10×5 10×25 7×100 1x500 1x1000. But everyone lost all there small chips in the first rounds. Do you have a tip for that. Also thanls for the reply but it soujds really difficult. English is not my first language :/. Can you maybe make a simple personal version for me

S

Salomo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday we played with 2500 poijts each. 10×5, 10×25, 7×100, 1×50,0, 1x1000. The poker round went a bit to quick. Because nobody was really good so whe went way too fast through the rounds. Also people got rid of there chips way too fast. The 25 chips are in 2 rounds gone.

Can you maybe make a simple set up for me or explain your set up in an easier way. English is not my first lamguage.

S

Salomo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinkijg about a round of 1:1/2 - 2 hours. But already in a quarter everyone had to chance chips from the bank

S

Salomo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We started with 5/10 and theb after 15 min we already head to bank. I have 500 chips, 5 colors. Each is 100.

S

Salomo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

From this thread:

I responded with this:

Specifically;

8X 25
8X 100
8X 500
1X 1000.

I have a few questions?
I read the Cardschat pdf for information. They used around 19 chips. How can you use 19 chips? In 5 minutes all your chips are gone right or not? Also if you have 19 chips how can you color up? Because with a color up you get less chips but with a higher value right?
Last question is there a minium bet in after the flop?

Thanks!

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have a few questions?
I read the Cardschat pdf for information. They used around 19 chips. How can you use 19 chips? In 5 minutes all your chips are gone right or not? Also if you have 19 chips how can you color up? Because with a color up you get less chips but with a higher value right?
Last question is there a minium bet in after the flop?

Thanks!
I am so sorry that I did not see your questions until today. Usually I ask questions of the OP and they never respond. This time, a response, but no response from me. :(

Assuming 10 players, if you have 19 chips per player, as soon as one is eliminated, you have 21 chips per player. When five are gone, you have 38 chips per player, etc. Colour up should eliminate chips but there should be players eliminated by then as well. Colour up is not absolutely necessary. If you want to play 10 players ending in two hours, I would recommend 15 minutes blind levels that result in 8 levels until total chips in play are equal to 20 Big Blinds. Using the chart in the CC page, some of the blind levels 1-5 (25/50 - 150/300) require T25 chips. With 15 minute blind levels, you take a break at 1:15 of the tourney and replace the (80X) T25's with 20X T100's, or 4X T500's, or 2X T1000's. You are only taking, at most 78 chips off the table (if you use 2X T1K). If you are down to two players, you will be very happy about this, if you still have 8 players, you may want to use T100's and only eliminate 60 chips. you will see by the chips on the table and how the players are acting with them whether or not you have too many small chips.

Minimum bet after the Flop is the same as before the Flop. Min Bet = 1BB

After a raise, the minimum reraise is the amount of the previous raise.

I will read and respond more thoroughly to your above questions as I reread them. I hope this game hasn't died because the chip issues were causing lack of interest in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poker Chips - History of Chips