What's the Point of Throwables?

B

bigrog70

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of throwables. At best, they are a bit juvenile and at worst, they can be somewhat distracting when they are being launched non-stop. Maybe they're a lot more prevalent at play money tables as I guess I don't notice them as much at real money tables?

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Well somewhat similar was first implemented in 888 poker ages ago, with recent addition of similar features to partypoker. So pokerstars, probably assuming that this attracts/is liked by recreational players as it adds some extra fun, introduced these "throwables". But took it to the next level - you need to pay with rake to unlock them :D Greedy even here lol

Personally I play on the old interface, not Aurora one, and these throwables are not available there, so I see no problem in their existence :)

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only throw them at people who run the clock, why do they have too take so long to call , fold or raise it a click of the mouse..

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to make fun out of people. to upset them, to send a message!
so much to use

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never use and I really didn't like, it does not make much sense to me. Usually when I play I rarely see the players using, so, I guess is not just me that didn't like..

W

wulfeman007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of throwables. At best, they are a bit juvenile and at worst, they can be somewhat distracting when they are being launched non-stop. Maybe they're a lot more prevalent at play money tables as I guess I don't notice them as much at real money tables?

them things are fun
all sites need them
its really funny when all the players start throwing at one player
boom boom boom

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In my opinion they only use it to annoy the other. There should be one to thank or congratulate for a good hand or play. Regards.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the most part they can be distracting, annoying, or even rude but I use them at certain times. There is a trophy on 888 that I send to a good hand. Or sometimes when its on a break a whole table of people are just being silly playing with them so I usually join in. I also have used them when someone continually uses up their time every hand.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I only throw them at people who run the clock, why do they have too take so long to call , fold or raise it a click of the mouse..

Okay hopefully we will share table real soon then ;)

B

bigrog70

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I wonder what percentage of these people are multi-tabling.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe because of having the lowest possible risk of money, for that reason it is not noticed in cash or real money games, because not everyone risks those levels

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Throwables are a way for poker sites to cater to recreational players. I use them some times on 888 Poker. A tomato for a bad beat, or a trophy for a really dumb play, which lost someone most of his stack :D

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I've only used once cause the person was timing out, I was hoping the sound would attract them back to the game. I do think some people are juvenile that constantly throw them.

thaleshpa

thaleshpa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Distraction. Annoying other players into making bad decisions. They are the equivalent of Negreanu's non stop talking.

B

bigrog70

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the most part they can be distracting, annoying, or even rude but I use them at certain times. There is a trophy on 888 that I send to a good hand. Or sometimes when its on a break a whole table of people are just being silly playing with them so I usually join in. I also have used them when someone continually uses up their time every hand.

Thanks, Gecko. I now enjoying throwing the trophy in 888. I also like throwing the champagne bottle at everyone on Party when we make ITM.

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they did it for people to have fun, since there are several languages online, and everyone knows what the images mean:D:D

Mityamoriss

Mityamoriss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like them,they’re entertaining to use

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they did it for people to have fun, since there are several languages online, and everyone knows what the images mean:D:D

I considered this too; no language barrier for simple throwables ;)

I like them,they’re entertaining to use

I kind of like them too; I see it as an attempt to add a bit more of a "human element" to the online realm that stereotypically becomes robotic. I don't use throwables much, but I like having the option. The one that I think is used most differently is the rocket one.

Some people use it to "celebrate" and tell someone "nh" [nice hand]. Others use the rocket obnoxiously to annoy others. Some players use the rocket to "sound" and alert players using up a lot of their clock. Finally, some people even use the rocket if they are upset at someone/tilting. These are just a few ways I see this one used; maybe it should be standardized a little more on what the intended meaning is?

A few throwables are more obvious in intent such as throwing the clock.

Who thinks throwables should have a limit on use though? Something time sensitive or hand sensitive. The hope would be to limit throwables to a "short message" and not for spamming just to annoy or entertain themselves...

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they made it just to trigger a tilt lol

B

blun777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they're a nice thing to have until people start spamming them non stop

S

Stollpe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use them sometimes when I am tilted or when the others make good or bad play.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think they were intended for a little bit of fun, but some players use them to try and insult other players to put them on tilt, like giving some one the tissues when they lose an all-in situation, I find them hilarious and some times a little childish, so they don't bother me that much.
PKR.com had emoticons you could have your avatar say to other players like "Loser" and the avatar would even use the right thumb and forefinger to show the table the "L" on the forehead, it was all a bit of fun but over used it could offend some players.
I grinded up a $150 bankroll from nothing on PKR from freerolls and then 10 cent buy in SnGs, mainly because it did not get to me, and it was easy money.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure why they thought it would be helpful in there business model. I just never makes any sense to me and why would I want to use them. That being said they are fun when just playing with friends.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now a throwable is the only challenge I have on offer from pokerstars---unreal --they need to hire some new people