What's the Correct Play

E

EthanR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a $2.20 win the button on pokerstars, down to 12 people.

Stacks:

Button: 30 BB
SB (me): 60 BB
BB: 50 BB

Button opens to 3BB and I'm sitting with 66, what is the correct play to make here?

Because it is a win the button, people tend to open significantly wider from their button so this guy's range wasn't insanely tight or anything, and there was some ICM given that we were essentially on the FT bubble. I didn't really wanna take a flop when he makes it that big but I didn't really want to fold either. I ended up shoving and he called with 99.

A

agachegabriel1986

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Password cardsches pokerstars?

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a $2.20 win the button on Pokerstars, down to 12 people.

Stacks:

Button opens to 3BB and I'm sitting with 66, what is the correct play to make here?

Because it is a win the button, people tend to open significantly wider from their button so this guy's range wasn't insanely tight or anything, and there was some ICM given that we were essentially on the FT bubble. I didn't really wanna take a flop when he makes it that big but I didn't really want to fold either. I ended up shoving and he called with 99.

Given you were 60BB deep I think you can afford to speculate and take the cheap flop if you’re not worried about the BB squeezing. If your BB has been active or if I know he likes to 3 bet a lot I’m probably just folding to avoid spending the entire hand OOP with a mediocre holding. I’m pretty much just trying to set mine as cheaply as possible in that situation. I think when you stack off that deep with 66 at best you’re flipping and a lot of times you’re already crushed.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a $2.20 win the button on Pokerstars, down to 12 people.

Stacks:

My basic thought on this situation is that you were trying to come up with a reason to play a hand. Perhaps you had to fold a lot of hands and were wishing to get in the action. It's the nature of hold'em that we spend a lot of our time in MTTs sitting on the sidelines so sometimes we get into a situation as described here and we lose our focus.

My focus would be that I am out of position and holding a hand that is simply not in my range in early position. But...if your emotions get the better of you and that happens to all of us then remember the magic words.....Check Fold

E

EthanR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay thanks for the info. Looking back on it I think it's already a sketchy spot but the ICM just makes it a fold.

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the stack is above average on such cards is not worth playing at all.Can be go in flop to make sure that there is no availability of set ,but not more .

You can first raise, and in the case of aggression to throw the hand.

P

Pillivey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Geez

You have great odds to hit a set . It's at least a call all day . If I had to guess you didn't make the top 3

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay thanks for the info. Looking back on it I think it's already a sketchy spot but the ICM just makes it a fold.

Depending on the stake vs ur bankroll... I've found myself folding AK suited and even KK or lower when larger stacks are on the line. ::2in1: