Underage Players

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't seen any age requirements for online poker sites.

Does anyone think there are underage players in online poker rooms?

For the sake of argument under the age of 18.

A friend tells me about a bad-beat online. And asks me what the player was possibly thinking.

Aside from a misclick my answer was, "You know the player could be 14 years old."

He was stunned and agreed that it was possible.

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't seen any age requirements for online poker sites.

Does anyone think there are underage players in online poker rooms?

For the sake of argument under the age of 18.

A friend tells me about a bad-beat online. And asks me what the player was possibly thinking.

Aside from a misclick my answer was, "You know the player could be 14 years old."

He was stunned and agreed that it was possible.
No. Absolutely not. Children have no idea how to use the internet. Also, children are definitely not already used to gambling from all the ****ing lootboxes in video games these days. There is absolutely no way any under 18 plays poker online. Just like there is no such thing as girls on the internet.

A more rational explanation for the bad beat your friend suffered is that he lost it to a cat, dog, or monkey that plays poker online. Have you seen the cat playing piano? They are getting smarter

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably not nearly as many as you would think. Do many young people have any interest at all in poker?

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably not nearly as many as you would think. Do many young people have any interest at all in poker?
In all seriousness, I started playing when I was 19. I'm 21 now. You'd be surprised how many young people find their way to poker to or from similar strategy games like StarCraft or league of legends or other esports games.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If an 11-year old sees big poker on television or an older sibling playing - then they want to be cool too!

"Hey Dad/Mom I want to buy something online can I use your credit card?" LOL

Anything is possible.

But I would agree with you Matt, "...not nearly as many as you would think."

Good luck !

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Must be 18 to play in online rooms.

There used to be a lot of underage Poker players right after the Poker Boom. I don't think there are many nowadays.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it is,the account was older,and minors play...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I'm sure they do. When did you start playing poker? I started when I was 5yrs. old and if there was such a thing as the internet when I was a young teenager I am positive I would've been playing poker online.

Previously it was pretty common to hear of many top online players confessing that they'd played underage when starting out.

Must be 18 to play in online rooms.

There used to be a lot of underage Poker players right after the Poker Boom. I don't think there are many nowadays.

I don't think there are near as many after Black Friday but it wouldn't surprise me to discover there were still quite a few from Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Serbia, etc. (as Phil H. would say... "those northern Euro donkeys").

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Try getting your winnings from a site after they confirm you are under 18 or were you won the money.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Try getting your winnings from a site after they confirm you are under 18 or were you won the money.
That's right, when you make an illegal account you must make it able to be withdraw from.

:rofl:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A 15-yr old may not have any winnings to cash out.

Unless they are a math wizz - I think they will lose any winnings as quickly as they ran their account up.

When people think poker is gambling they behave accordingly - big gamble - must see lots of flops and chase. No real understanding of pot-odds, etc.

Still keeping up my end of the provocative conversation......

Good luck !

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally started playing before I was of age! I would have been playing online before 18 as well if such a thing existed but legal age for the river boats back home was 21 I was in there regular at 17/18 once in a great while I'd get carded but not often