Starting to think that online play is unbeatable

T

twiztedtony

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the amount of poker I've played in my day in wondering if online is even able to crush. I get ran over some days and some days I do really really good. But when I'm running bad I try and get up and it fails half the time. I ran stuff that said my leaks are AJ suited and off and A7 so what yall think. Just fold them hands 100% of the time to plug it. Or just play them more passive check fold? Any advice should help.

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the amount of poker I've played in my day in wondering if online is even able to crush. I get ran over some days and some days I do really really good. But when I'm running bad I try and get up and it fails half the time. I ran stuff that said my leaks are AJ suited and off and A7 so what yall think. Just fold them hands 100% of the time to plug it. Or just play them more passive check fold? Any advice should help.

No you don't need to fold them all of the time. AJ you want to play in position more often than play from out of position. If you don't hit you can fold or play more face up. A7 is just a hand that doesn't play well against multiple opponents. You can play in position again, but it isn't something you want to play UTG. I will fold that until I am in position and I rarely call a raise with a weak ace. You just get dominated too often.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What exactly are you trying to beat? In poker, you don't need to constantly win in order do well and make a profit. In fact, it's possible to win every hand you play or every tournament you enter, so it's best to get out of that mindset that you need to in order to be successful.

It's been years since I've played MTTs online and I just back into because of the covid-19 shelter in place. I play microstakes ($1-$3) and I've played 91 MTTs so far. My ITM is 16.5%, which means I've only cashed in ~15/91 MTTs. I even went on a 31 and 17 game downswing since I've started playing. However, even given my large downswings or the fact that I busted out of 86 MTTs without cashing, my RO1 is 95.56%, and I have a profit of $155.35.

So, am I beating online poker? It depends on what the goal is. My goal is to profit off of it and I'm down that. I don't need to win every hand or cash in every MTT to do so because, again, it's impossible. If you think you need to win every hand you play in order to be successful, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Just keep making those +ev decision, run well, and that's all you can do and that's really takes. Get your money in good and, in the long run, it'll show.

Also, talking about my stats wasn't a brag and I apologize if it came off as such. It was just to get a point across. I used to be where you were when I started playing and I had the same mindset you did, so I understand where you're coming from.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the amount of poker I've played in my day in wondering if online is even able to crush.

What exactly do you mean by "crush", and which games are you playing? Micro stakes online games are easily beatable, but of course you are not going to become a millionaire from playing them.

Just to give an example of, what is realistically possible, when the corona lockdown started 5 weeks ago in my country, my balance on pokerstars was 320$. After putting in a decent amount of hours but not full time, it is now 1.360$. This is from playing 2-11$ tournaments and 16-25 NL cash games, and these games are currently very soft.

But if you want to play for, what most people would consider "real money", like maybe 200NL cash games or 50-100$ tournaments, then you will run into much better players, and it is no longer going to be a walk in the park.

So can you make money in online poker, absolutely yes. Is it difficult, absolutely no. But is online poker an easy way to get rich fast, also absolutely no. If those basic expectations are set, then just play along and enjoy :)