Stakes and Gameplay

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've essentially been a small stakes, freeroll, low buy-in tourney player.
While there are occasions where I find great games.
I'm often overwhelmed with the abundance of erratic play.
This is a great thing when winning but can be frustrating when multiple players with a vast range of cards complicate flop play.

I'm hoping to get feedback from players who play or has played a range of cash stakes and buy-in amounts for tourneys.

How much does gameplay vary from Micro all the way to High stake games?
What differences can be expected and do certain buy-ranges better serve certain types or play? or is buy-ins essentially a function of bankroll?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure what your highest buy in is to date, but I'm in a similar boat. Typically I'm in a ten or fifty cent buy in tournament where there still an element of erratic play from some of the other players; those who really don't care too much if they win or lose.

However, I've gone up to a five dollar buy in and it was like night and day. The players were far more serious and were looking to win that larger prize package.

In short, I felt I could play a better game the higher the stakes were. You start talking about winning a couple of hundred dollars or a couple thousand in a tournament and there's way less messy play.

For what it's worth, while I can/must respect the grind to get into higher stakes, I think you're going to feel and perform better in the higher stakes games over all. The question is: can you build your bankroll enough to get there and play regularly?

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck to you at the tables! :)

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure what your highest buy in is to date, but I'm in a similar boat. Typically I'm in a ten or fifty cent buy in tournament where there still an element of erratic play from some of the other players; those who really don't care too much if they win or lose.

However, I've gone up to a five dollar buy in and it was like night and day. The players were far more serious and were looking to win that larger prize package.

In short, I felt I could play a better game the higher the stakes were. You start talking about winning a couple of hundred dollars or a couple thousand in a tournament and there's way less messy play.

For what it's worth, while I can/must respect the grind to get into higher stakes, I think you're going to feel and perform better in the higher stakes games over all. The question is: can you build your bankroll enough to get there and play regularly?

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck to you at the tables! :)

Great thoughts. Thanks for the reply. We have/had differing opinions on some social threads, but as always you offer very thoughtful replies. I totally relate to you on this post. Making my way up the scale will have a lot to do with BRM in relation to the games I play. I often overplay and fail to make the transition. The consequence is playing a boring game that causes me to engage in villain tendencies unmerited, where if I simply increased the stakes I would be back to normal play.

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly micro stakes. Also in micro satellites at the entrance to low tournaments. On the game, micro on high rates all the same in my opinion.

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a pretty hard time adjusting to the erratic play myself in microstakes/freerolls, finding myself matching that style in frustration or boredom. Especially in freeroll tourneys where the blinds go up quickly and I'm getting dealt nothing to play with or to rationally call an insane raise with. Determining someone else's hand strength has been difficult for me to figure out when it comes to low stakes online play

K

Kaban

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played at the micro and medium-sized buy-in, and then I noticed a difference in the micro lot of people talking ALL in, on average, not every sweat even keeps a raise, for me personally, liked to play the medium buy-in.

Top 10 Games