Spin and Go - am I a fish?

E

E V A N

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all,

I want to start a discussion about spin and go’s. Are they a lure for fish? Are they too high variance to make a profit? Can skilled players truly make profit off of this game type?

My personal story is that I deposited to pokerstars, and doubled my money in a week playing only spins. Then the next week I started playing for much higher stakes ($30-$50) and blew out my bankroll.

Am I a fish? (I want honesty, not a sugar coating)

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spin and go can be very tilting causing you to chase losses and forgot bankroll management if your in the wrong state of mind,
Its easy to win or lose a huge bankroll in hours never mind weeks as each game you play you are 33.33% to win 67.67% roughly to lose.
Variance and luck is huge in this shortstacked turbo game,
If you are landing on many 2x not hitting and winning the big multipliers it can become a real struggle.
Blinds get high you can not fold KK or QQ get all in preflop but can lose to AJs or worse type of hands all day long sometimes.
The higher stakes on pokerstars are played by many good serious regulars and pros too.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
blew out the bankroll first time is ok, but learn with your mistakes and don't be a fish, because they don't learn (fish don't have memory or seems not) understand the pun :D

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spin and go can be very tilting causing you to chase losses and forgot bankroll management if your in the wrong state of mind,
Its easy to win or lose a huge bankroll in hours never mind weeks as each game you play you are 33.33% to win 67.67% roughly to lose.
Variance and luck is huge in this shortstacked turbo game,
If you are landing on many 2x not hitting and winning the big multipliers it can become a real struggle.
Blinds get high you can not fold KK or QQ get all in preflop but can lose to AJs or worse type of hands all day long sometimes.
The higher stakes on pokerstars are played by many good serious regulars and pros too.

Very well explained. That part about chasing losses in spin n gos was such a huge leak for me when I first started.

E

E V A N

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the advice guys! I definitely see myself learning from this mistake and not continuing to “chase the dream”.

Very well said from all of you :)

B

BozzyNeil

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have recently discovered Spin & Go's on PokerStars, but I only use my free tickets on there. Like you i have doubled my money.

Once I've gone through all of my tickets I'll be using the winnings for Tourneys.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The combination of short stacks and fast structure plus the lottery factor with multiples of the price pool makes this one of the higher variance games that the sites offer.

Have AT LEAST a 100 BI on every level.

Did you really have 5000 dollars when you played 50 dollar buy-ins? If not you were just gambling.

They are very soft at the lower levels (up to 5 dollar) but after that there are a lot of players that know hot to play a short stack mathematically correct - so it is very hard for a non professional player to win in the long run.

There are also teams and schools that stake and help players to play a almost perfect spin & go strategy. Personally I would stay away from them at over the 10 dollar level if you are not an expert and want to win in the long run.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all,

I want to start a discussion about Spin and Go’s. Are they a lure for fish? Are they too high variance to make a profit? Can skilled players truly make profit off of this game type?

My personal story is that I deposited to pokerstars, and doubled my money in a week playing only spins. Then the next week I started playing for much higher stakes ($30-$50) and blew out my bankroll.

Total gambler/fish game. I wouldn't recommend this game to any real player unless they just want a quick little gamble. It may be possible to win more than one in a row but if you do consider yourself very lucky, its just such a gamble. So many other games you can make a respectable profit on. GL at the tables. Spins are a true fish/gambler game, if your a real player at all lay off them.

D

Dlbcanuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Total gambler type of game. I will play them if I get a free ticket but trying to build your bankroll with them is crazy.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spin and Go turns into a lottery as the game progresses, and so you don’t need to burden yourself with a problem. If you are lucky, it is possible to win the jackpot.)) Only you need to play small sessions. Just play your game without fanaticism. Good luck.:driver::D

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A lot depends on why spinning is also a strategy game, my advice and you can change the game.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot of fishes or new players tend to play on spins.
Yes, there is the highest variance.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
spin and goes are not for the beginner players. They can be easily profitable if you work hard on your game. Most of people think it's a gamble game. But how much time did they spend on learning to play spins? how many games they played? because even winning player who crushes micro games can have downswing on 1000 games+ and it's pretty normal. This game has much variance, thats why you need to play a lot and learn a lot to avoid many mistakes. Going on higher stakes because you won some money it's the fastest way to lose it all. Because in spins it doesn't matter how much money did you win. You can be a fish and win thousands of dollars on small sample and be a pro and lose a lot of money at small sample. What matters is your CEV. Google it if you want to know what it is.

anyways spins are boring:D

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Loosing does not make you a fish you can play well and still loose.

Spin n go can be profitable to good players. It can be profitable to bad players if they hit a huge multiplier.

Players use excuse of variance and excuse of it being a lottery game when they are not skilled enough to beat it.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why everyone thinks it's a lottery. In fact, this heads-up of pure water. Difficult but can be. Another thing is to Blast 888. Here is there realistically net lottery

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If it was pure gambling like i.e. roulette, how are people making money by staking and coaching beginners? These stables are around for quite some years now and their business model seems to work for them and their horses.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a while i have been very profitable on those spin and gos but you know on PS you run good for a day or two then you go dead for a month and to be able to win on those you need very much luck or a skilled heads up player

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the variance in spin and go is very high , if you want to improve your spin and go games type smart spin on google there is some free interesting videos you can watch

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even a shark is a fish so we are all fish. When you put yourself in categories its called divide and conquer. keep your chin up and play

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hello all,

I want to start a discussion about Spin and Go’s. Are they a lure for fish? Are they too high variance to make a profit? Can skilled players truly make profit off of this game type?

spin and goes are not for the beginner players. They can be easily profitable if you work hard on your game. Most of people think it's a gamble game. But how much time did they spend on learning to play spins? how many games they played? because even winning player who crushes micro games can have downswing on 1000 games+ and it's pretty normal. This game has much variance, thats why you need to play a lot and learn a lot to avoid many mistakes. Going on higher stakes because you won some money it's the fastest way to lose it all. Because in spins it doesn't matter how much money did you win. You can be a fish and win thousands of dollars on small sample and be a pro and lose a lot of money at small sample. What matters is your CEV. Google it if you want to know what it is.

anyways spins are boring:D

Here's ^ a good answer for you E V A N.
As mentioned the SPINS aren't a game for a beginner & yet they attract many beginners. A seemingly simple enough format & with the chances for a huge score! (what could be better?).
One of the reasons these games are profitable for experienced SPIN players is because of the large % of bad players on the tables.
I personally don't play them (but have tried a small sample of them out) as I don't want to put in the time required to study that format (it doesn't really interest me). I've thought about it though.

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would guess that the skill level is better at higher buyins, but EVERY time I put any funds in Pokerstars, it's like they let me win win win, during the time that I can't withdraw the winnings until the funds clear, and then lose lose lose, it literally happens everytime.

E

E V A N

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here’s a quick update for everyone,
(And thank you all for making this thread such a great learning opportunity)

I have stopped playing spin and gos for now, and I have noticed my bankroll is a lot more stable.

Cheers!

Tr0pik

Tr0pik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spin&Go is a not skill game, its many time to lottery, but its funny i like this poker format.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spin & Go games are extremely -ev. Any game where it's a hyper the edge of the better player is completely removed and put into the hands of what poker players like to call "variance". Stick to grinding turbo or regular formatted sng's or cash tables where variance can be controlled more, you will get more play out of your money and can steadly build your roll. Most of all, play what you enjoy the most, if you enjoy 3 handed hyper sng's stick to that and good luck.

Last edited:
akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I can't label a player simply because he busted his bankroll 1 ,2, 3... etc times or without watching him play so let that part out of discussion.

What matters is how you perform in a large sample of those high variance games like spin and goes or 6 max hypers. You may have played 100-200 and have a downswing but nobody can be labeled in a tiny sample.This one applies in poker in general.Even in cash game you need a sample with at least 50.000 hands to be sure if you are beating the stakes.(Misaki can correct me here because he is a cash games regular).

What matters and what was your ''mistake'' is that you tried to generate profit by playing super big buy ins.This is pure gambling in my opinion.It is the same like playing the roulette.

Before taking that shot have you studied what to open shove - call in particular situations or blind levels?!

:)