Slowing down our thought process

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all I’ve noticed that I tend to rush through the throughs in my guy I hardly stop to think about pot odds ranges etc has anybody else had this leak? If so what was a effective way to plug it as I’m studying a lot and not able to put what I’m learning into practice

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I would advice to you is play with a notebook right on your hand and with a pencil have your strategy step by step something like an organize process that leads you to think what you have study and put it on practice on the table this helped me cause playing online everything happens so fast when you're learning that is easy to forget your studies... I used to have something like this:
1- what's my position ?
2- How strong is my hand ?
3- which stage is this tournament? (starting - close to the bubble - bubble - ITM )
4- I'm in position (IP) or Out of Position (OP)
Flop
5- How has my hand change is it stronger or weaker?
6- What range could my opponent have...

etc you can create your own questions basing on your studies this helped me a lot after a while you does this process on auto pilot
Good luck!

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Yes I play too fast sometime and make errors.

Above post#2 has excellent pointers we can follow to make better decisions.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that is a common theme for ALOT of players these day. Maybe if people stopped to think about things we wouldnt have all the bad beats we have online

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am guessing many of us have the same habit.

My excuse is I like to attempt to get into an intuitive, flow state. I know that is a little pretentious but at the same time we all should know ranges, can read the board and after some hands have picked up on how opponents are playing. That's great when you are on, not so good on low energy and a little unfocused.

I wish I could develop the habit to deep dive every hand and then make a play but I think that is something I am not (I suspect the majority also) built for. Additionally, it's also mentally taxing. So I do two things.

Once an orbit I will deliberately pay very close attention to a hand (actually whether in it or not). The second thing is to play a strong hand with intent. By this I mean have a plan from pre-flop to river and hold to that (unless the board develops in a patently negative way). Doesn't mean I win the hand but it does raise up the attention level to optimal - you are immediately aware of position, who is in the pot, bet sizing...all those basic things you should be zoned in on every hand.

In part this idea comes from listening to a few pros being interviewed over the last couple of years admitting it is very hard to play your game 'A' game all the time. Its fine to play a lower level of game if you are not casually getting dragged into pots. But when you get pot committed you need to be mentally committed.

A

AAndi72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I would advice to you is play with a notebook right on your hand and with a pencil have your strategy step by step something like an organize process that leads you to think what you have study and put it on practice on the table this helped me cause playing online everything happens so fast when you're learning that is easy to forget your studies... I used to have something like this:
1- what's my position ?
2- How strong is my hand ?
3- which stage is this tournament? (starting - close to the bubble - bubble - ITM )
4- I'm in position (IP) or Out of Position (OP)
Flop
5- How has my hand change is it stronger or weaker?
6- What range could my opponent have...

etc you can create your own questions basing on your studies this helped me a lot after a while you does this process on auto pilot

Good luck!

Very nice tips here no. 1- 6. Thank you very much!
Best way, print it and put it over your pc / computer :)