Running Hot!

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when my hole cards run hot!!!
Like the potential to win over 70% in the short-run of hands, if played.
For the most part I've tried to stay away from this observation inducing me to play hands I normally do not play.

When you guys see this happen, do you just start jumping in the pot with any two hole cards?
Do you have a loose call approach or just keep playing as you normally would?

E

EthanR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to take a mathematical approach. Winning the last 3 hands in a row is no indication that you are going to win the next one. Stick with appropriate ranges, and when the cards fall your way be happy, but don't let it fool you into thinking they always will. Your goal is to play well and get it in good, not to try and win pots with bad hands just because you are running hot.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Man, running hot is the best poker feeling I can think of just short of taking down a massive pot or trny win. That urge to play any2 cards while running good can be beneficial if you make good reads, bluffs, and the occasional fold. If I'm hammering away at a table and stacking up chips then that's what I'm going to do. If the run seems to dry up then I'll switch gears and make the (I hope) proper adjustments. I don't think that playing any2 cards is a bad thing at all if the table dictates it. Picking up a rake-free pot is always a good thing. :rock:

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, running hot is the best poker feeling I can think of just short of taking down a massive pot or trny win. That urge to play any2 cards while running good can be beneficial if you make good reads, bluffs, and the occasional fold. If I'm hammering away at a table and stacking up chips then that's what I'm going to do. If the run seems to dry up then I'll switch gears and make the (I hope) proper adjustments. I don't think that playing any2 cards is a bad thing at all if the table dictates it. Picking up a rake-free pot is always a good thing. :rock:

It's nice to be in the rhythm of playing many pots when the cards start to run; the challenge is when the cards run hot from nowhere when your in a disciplined and selective mode. You almost have to jump in on a winning pot or jumping in can be a disaster, especially if you lose a pot or two. I've also noticed that it can open up multi-pots with more contestation because of the number of pots played. Interesting situation because all you have to do is win the pots, but the image of playing so many pots can be adverse down the line when all of a sudden everyone is calling.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's nice to be in the rhythm of playing many pots when the cards start to run; the challenge is when the cards run hot from nowhere when your in a disciplined and selective mode. You almost have to jump in on a winning pot or jumping in can be a disaster, especially if you lose a pot or two. I've also noticed that it can open up multi-pots with more contestation because of the number of pots played. Interesting situation because all you have to do is win the pots, but the image of playing so many pots can be adverse down the line when all of a sudden everyone is calling.

I agree w/you about the 'image of playing so many pots'. I play mostly micro to low-limit games. I think my best ring game experience (most profitable) came when I noticed that most of the players at the lowest limit where I was playing at the time, which was at intertops in a $.02/.04 NLH 6-max table, wanted to see a flop no matter what was going on pre-flop. I decided to move up a cpl of levels, $.10/.20, and just do my thing. After an hour or so I was up $40. I noticed that the players there were a bit more nitty and I could exploit that aspect which allowed me to run the table a bit and peak my initial buy-in of $14 to just over 10x that amount. After almost 4 hrs of grinding I left the table w/almost $130. Not bad, in my opinion; averaged around $33 an hour that night/morning. In hindsight I felt I could now feel comfortable pushing w/any suited or wired hand, betting with and folding crap hands just to pit other players together, gaining info along the way. ;)

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play the same, cards don't always come when you want. However, if I have a big stack, I will start raising suited gappers and connectors no matter if I'm running "hot" or not

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was running hot one time; like 5 good starting hands in a row. Nobody believed me.
Although I won 4 hands in a row, my aces were cracked by K 4 in the big blind against a x3.5 pre-flop raise.
Maybe I should of showed my hands, but that does not matter; most people feel you cannot win two big pots in a row.
That second win could be big, but hard to know what type of hand your opponent has.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play my cards based on how my opponents are reacting. I see no reason to play any two cards if I'm running hot because I should be getting a lot of playable hands anyway.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If by observation your getting good cards and you notice lose players, would it not make sense to open up your range if your in position?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gaming mindset....the random hands are random.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed recently that with the right bets (and calls) you can play just about any connected cards and do well most of the time. This is my experience, however, on MTT freerolls. Take control of the betting as soon as you can and put fear into the other players, especially as you build your stack. Know when to fold though... if someone raises your bet, they probably have you beat. I've cashed in four freerolls in the last week doing this and it's been fun playing. :)

L

lTangmanl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish

To run well, would be nice but lately keep losing hands when I'm 99% favourite and it infuriates me.

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My most infamous run... was 0-2500 in 3 days... (with no deposit) ... After the first day it felt like i was a poker god, and i was playing extremely loose and winning with so many hands it was actually insane. To give you an idea, the hand I ended that run with, winning an 11$ entry 2067 up top tourney.... J7o... I had quads 8 times that weekend, once back 2 back on the same table.... sometimes the poker gods just.. want you 2 win.. ROLL with it!

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My most infamous run... was 0-2500 in 3 days... (with no deposit) ... After the first day it felt like i was a poker god, and i was playing extremely loose and winning with so many hands it was actually insane. To give you an idea, the hand I ended that run with, winning an 11$ entry 2067 up top tourney.... J7o... I had quads 8 times that weekend, once back 2 back on the same table.... sometimes the poker gods just.. want you 2 win.. ROLL with it!

Amazing story!
I have a general idea how much I normally make an hour based on the table amounts. Hard sometimes to adjust when things are slower/faster. It is my thought playing with the momentum is critical to be a long-term success. It seems like typically there is a break-even analysis; but when running I always ask myself why I was not just patient during the tough patches.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you get on a burner just make sure you don't blow it by playing too loose.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advise on how a nobody can be a winner!​

Listen up newbies and those willing to gain solid knowledge.
What is considered normal distribution, may not be random distribution when it relates to software design.. Many people refer to random distribution as a statistical measure based upon the bell curve. However, to make that claim from a design perspective only requires outcomes to fall within normal distribution based upon the given sample size to the degree of error assumed. Anyone with a math background knows this. A prejudice may statically occur without recognition, so as long as it cannot be defined by outcomes based on a normal distribution curve contingent upon inputs and sample size.
This means short-term outcomes can have prejudice and still fall within normal distribution because it does not consider the wagers made (even relative to bankroll).
That logical decision making can fail based upon numerical evaluation, as it relates to the weight given to any sample size; with normal distribution based on a sample size of infinity and specific constraints measured.
When playing something that is designed, know that and apply your decision making accordingly. It does not mean that some one cannot be successful, but that there may be something in place to ensure the probability/profitability of favorites without proof or numerical recognition!

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I tend to do the opposite. When I'm getting good hands I feel much less inclined to go in with marginal cards, mostly because I'm aware that I am setting up a loose table image by playing a high volume of hands. Most players tend to be more inclined to call at this point, so I feel this is when I am most likely to be caught out on a bad hand.

Conversely, when I am running bad I am much more likely to play speculative cards for exactly the same reason. If I've been playing tight, other players will probably assume that I woke up with a monster once I finally enter a hand. This conceals any marginal hand I might be playing, and that has two direct benefits:

1. It gives good bluff value if I miss
2. It gives fantastic value if I connect, as it is less likely that my opponents will accurately spot me at the lower end of my range

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I tend to do the opposite. When I'm getting good hands I feel much less inclined to go in with marginal cards, mostly because I'm aware that I am setting up a loose table image by playing a high volume of hands. Most players tend to be more inclined to call at this point, so I feel this is when I am most likely to be caught out on a bad hand.

Conversely, when I am running bad I am much more likely to play speculative cards for exactly the same reason. If I've been playing tight, other players will probably assume that I woke up with a monster once I finally enter a hand. This conceals any marginal hand I might be playing, and that has two direct benefits:

1. It gives good bluff value if I miss
2. It gives fantastic value if I connect, as it is less likely that my opponents will accurately spot me at the lower end of my range

I think this is a great point of view. Noting how there are other dynamics that go into successful play then just the cards!

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it is very important to have the initiative of the game and with that to be an active player and that imposes the rhythm of the hand. To play passively is to depend constantly on the luck factor, and this is certainly not the best way.

C

cypherpup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if my hole cards are running hot I know that the streak will end at some point. I play each hand the same way with the same mind set on raising or folding. I dont typically fall into the rut of calling with any two cards if I am on a hot streak. Poker isnt always about luck. Skill does come into play here.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's important not to change the game pattern a lot, because opponents start to notice these changes and learn to defend against the pitfalls, so in my opinion, the less change in betting for me is better.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand that hole cards and potential wins should not necessarily govern play.
However, have you ever seen someone run with a large chip stack and take down your Aces with rag rag.

May not be willing to make such an absurd move, however that does not mean that standard play is not vulnerable to someone running and giving the boot to a player by playing the most ridiculous hand (I suppose all in or sitting out would be the best play, because they for sure will call any x4 bet and there will be no idea what hand they have)

If you have a healthy stack, why not throw a couple of hooks out there if it does not cost much? The up side would be greater than the potential loss.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't ever think that past hands will have any effect on how the cards are coming out for future hands, but I will take advantage of my "hot streak" if I know I can use that image against my opponents into dropping out of hands.

R

rgp007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play street for street and see infos of vilian