Resistance or fold?

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For us to be a good poker player we must learn to fold big hands, not only preflop, but also postflop, fold big hands on the turn and also on the river. This is why it is very important to know how to observe your opponents at the moment of play. Would you like to know when to fold a pair of AA pre-flop? When should we fold a three of a kind on the flop? Or even fold a straight or flush in a given game?

Last edited:
B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose whenever there is danger of not having the best hand, and you can sense that based on the board and the bets, etc. then it's time to fold. However, sometimes some aggression (when you're in the right position and have a stack) can save you.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on how the hand plays out with what cards come when and the mindset of the villian(s). Of course if someone out flops you with a cooler you are guaranteed to lose money.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, being more cautious with relatively strong hands, as opposed to universally strong hands, is a good idea.

I was saying yesterday how often a flopped two pair, especially the bottom two pair, ends up getting beat by a counterfeit or better two pair on the turn or river. You have to keep in mind that if the opponent has flopped top pair with a good kicker, they are not likely to fold even if you move all in on the flop to try to get them to go away.

It is a good idea to slow down and take a moment to consider all of the factors in any given hand, at any given moment or street. You are trying to make the best decision, and sometimes the best decision is to fold your two pair or trips.

However, I am not sure folding a set postflop is ever really a great idea. I can see the logic behind folding if the board flops three of a suit, or three straight cards, but you have to remember that a lot of players will likely slow play a flopped nut flush or straight, and often they will lead out when they only have the draw. So I don't see too many spots where you will be put to the test and have to think about folding a set on the flop.

Consider that a flopped set of 10s on a board where your opponent flops the broadway straight is still at 38% equity when the backdoor flush is in play, and at 34% when it is not. The set is also at 34% equity when the opponent flops a flush. So I think anytime you flop a set and move all in or call an all in from an opponent who flops a straight or flush, you are excused from questioning yourself when you don't hit your quads or full house.

I have folded sets on the river. Only twice that I can remember; once the guy showed me his bluff, and the other time they showed me the nut flush that my set card hit for them. But I have never, ever folded a set on the flop. I am not sure I ever will either.

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well this is true and it depends a lot on the other players on the table if they make big bets or if they always call whatever they have and other things.As long as I remember I have never fold AA preflop.

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The topic in the discussion of online poker, and then explore the enemy is almost impossible ..he can have 7-2, 7 on the flop and two sevens..little depends on us in online poker, the main thing is not to fall into the slope, there will be a downward flow and movement ..distance will return...Texas hold'em is called lawlessness .

P

Plan_l8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very depends on game flow I think.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is virtually impossible for players to fold AA pre flop unless faced with multi way callers, at risk of elimination, on the bubble or trying to avoid the big stack confrontation at the table. With regards to folding trips on the flop, again - very few players will fold this, the considerations would often be if the flop is all one suit, but then players will bet out in the hope they hit a boat.
Folding on the turn and river can be easier if the board runs out and the runners offer the opponent(s) outs to beat you but by then you may be pot committed, sometimes you just know when the other player has got there!
I played a guy to the river once for a very big pot on full tilt poker..i had KK and needed to max value up..i knew his range was ace anything as he was a big stack fish and was playing every pot..the blinds were cruel and i was 76k off laddering, by the time the dreaded ace hit the river..the pot was 256k, i was sick here, i knew he had hit and was pot committed but that was the risk and strategy i took and it would have paid off as he had A9 spades on a 10h, 6d, Jh flop, turn was 7sp and river Acl - he jammed at the end..

odranorkan

odranorkan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, there is no fold A-A preflop, even if it's almost popping the bubble, you have to take the risk, this is poker, get used to it.

But postflop you have to analyze the circumstances always and know when to drop A-A, two pairs, trips, straights, flushes, even full houses.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is essential and as said, it will depend on the context and having the discipline to do it is not so simple, If you do not have a strategy previous defined it will give you headache

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when to fold a pair of AA pre-flop?
Only in satelites where your target tournement is secured

When should we fold a three of a kind on the flop?
Never ever ever fold 3 of a kind on flop, maybe on turn or river, but not on flop :D

Or even fold a straight or flush in a given game?
Straight are foldable when theres a 4 card flush or a boat possible, or better
Flush are foldable if its obvious theres a possible boat or better

It all depends on how the hands are played, and who your up against.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When trying to figure out if your opponent has a monster, you need to first come up with a general impression of his style of play. That is one of the keys of folding a good hand.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only in satelites where your target tournement is secured

Never ever ever fold 3 of a kind on flop, maybe on turn or river, but not on flop :D

Straight are foldable when theres a 4 card flush or a boat possible, or better
Flush are foldable if its obvious theres a possible boat or better

It all depends on how the hands are played, and who your up against.
I actually really like this explanation.... I think this is easily the most simple way to explain it.

Folding in Poker