Poker Name Regrets

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone else regret the name they picked for their poker name when they first started out? I just recently found out you can't change your player name once picked, NOT EVER.

For me, it's not that big of a deal. I was simply wanting to change my name on pokerstars from MAM1981 to MMaki81 to match all the sites I play on. When I created my other accounts I totally forgot that I had an account at PokerStars from back in the day that the poker name was MAM1981. Had I remembered this at the time of downloading 888 and ACR I would have just created the accounts using the same poker name as PokerStars.

Anyways, this got me to thinking:rolleyes: about people that pick really awful names and then either instantly or later down the road regret it.

So tell me your stories...what made you pick your name to begin with, why do you want to change it and what would you change it to?

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hehe...I spelled Deuces wrong as part of my handle (Dueces) on one of the first sites I ever signed up on years ago. I kind of liked the looks of the wrong spelling so I just started using it at most places. Took a lot of guff in chat for a long time. "This guy can't even spell Deuces right, how the hell can he play poker" and so on :) Good luck in the games out there by whatever name.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually yeah I did regret choosing Etheric Wiki. I had no idea why I chose it and couldnt come up with anything cool so when asked by friends I would just say I must have been really high or something.

I thought I had changed it to oleaginous at PokerStars when I moved to Panama and opened up an account here.

The meaning of oleaginous as I had heard it used was to be extremely polite, kind, or helpful in a false way that is intended to bring some advantage to yourself. I thought how fitting for poker. But it also means very oily so maybe that wasnt a great choice either. LOL.

I thought after Black Friday and moving from the US that PokerStars would require me to open a new account anyways, as party poker required this, but then I told PokerStars that I used to have the Etheric Wiki account when in the US and to make sure I didnt leave any money in it.

They then told me I had to keep that account and forfeit the new one.

So I decided to own it and have used it at other sites and will continue to use it. Its not so bad after all. Ive definitely seen lesser names out there. Maybe when I win the Millions with it I will come up with a cool story to go with the name. It would be nice to have to worry about it.

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hahahahah yes. I opened an account on PokerRoom.com (now extinct) and created the name, "WateryFeces."

I am confident that you know the reason why I regretted this username.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I believe i have almost identical username (name + 3 numbers) in most sites except this one our local pages where i use slightly (completely) different name ... So no regrets i'd imagine ?!?

E: it's probably well-know fact that you can have up to 4 aliases in unibet and recently one of their missions was to create new alias so i tried certain unusual name but sadly it was already taken so it's probably my only regret with usernames (so far) ...

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have used name natashailoveyou at Party poker, but Natasha is my ex-wife...

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I do. I signed up to a lot of sites during the poker boom and my name was similar on all of them so people can follow me around and know i'm a fish. now I use different names when I can

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey there!
Great topic!

Well this is something that often discuss with myself, especially when I cross the path of a great poker name (I don't remember any right now)! Mine is FF2586, very simple, I don't hate it.

I just wonder what would I came up with if I did not choose this one, but I don't have the answer yet.

byee gl gl gl

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hihi i remember the day i chose my nickname. I was with friends and I took the nickname of one of them just to laugh. It is true that if I could change my nickname on poker star. I will take one that suits me more. for example "la tauri".

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I started out as Conron then it went to UncleConRon. In between I would make these accounts and play for different teams. Teams included the Strat family. They were an anal family that the kids would goto if they decided not to take the dark path. There was also the bender family. That as a playful drinking family where the kids would go if they ventured that path. There were animals involved too. Like PseudoDragon, BEERnWEED, and shadow.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there
Fully agree
Sites should alow us to change name
Dont know why they do not allow
At least once
Rgds

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A long time ago when American players could play every site, I had 3 nickname sign ins at party poker. They didn't care then.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well , I regret for using my real name on many online poker rooms , cause I really don't like now when totally unknown players (not from CC ) call me with my name , sometimes in a way as if they know me , especially the greek players , lol , it's kinda freaky , lol .

Also recently I was looking on the internet for some funny alias to use on bwin/partypoker after the alias change , I chose two that now I don't like , one is a little provokative , silly and shows that I am a fish probably , although it's kinda funny , the other one for bwin.gr , another meaningI though it has at the beginning , but after some time that I saw it again I see it might have one more meaning , an undesirable offensive one , maybe not but I am not sure , really sad ...

Even my Pokerstars username , it might not have my name , but it's like a password , lol . I swear it's not any password I use , pls don't try it , lol .
At least it's not lke a phonecall number , lol

Btw , there are worse poker names/alias out there , this brings a smile on my face :)

player from Morocco , I wonder what does his username mean , LOL

3a15bff7548226ce3f7a333e2cf28b6b.png

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

B

BundesBurger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe i have almost identical username (name + 3 numbers) in most sites except this one our local pages where i use slightly (completely) different name ... So no regrets i'd imagine ?!?

E: it's probably well-know fact that you can have up to 4 aliases in unibet and recently one of their missions was to create new alias so i tried certain unusual name but sadly it was already taken so it's probably my only regret with usernames (so far) ...

Hi, I see a lot of players with names + 3 - 4 numbers. Is that a requirement?
Why always the numbers? Can you tell me that?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes.

When I created my account I was extremely eager to get onto the tables and had no idea you can basically never changed ID.

My usual username was taken so, thinking I could easily change it later, settled on Tr4cid just to get into a game and later I will change it to something better..

Nope!

I have swapped many emails and tried many different approaches with Stars to adjust a single, solitary digit of my username, but alas.

They will not play ball.

The only chance you have is to become team pro/team pro online/stream team..

These people can change their usernames upon joining the team..

Because it's totally fair to allow this for them, but no one else..

I'm salty about it of course... I understand why they don't allow username changes..

Reading other people's stories here makes me feel better about my 4... :)
Hi, I see a lot of players with names + 3 - 4 numbers. Is that a requirement?
Why always the numbers? Can you tell me that?

People add numbers usually when their name is taken..

'George' will quickly be taken, 'George784591' has less people racing to get it... ;)

Personally, I abhor having numbers tagged on the end or substituting letters (unless it's a good likeness)..

B

BundesBurger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People add numbers usually when their name is taken..

'George' will quickly be taken, 'George784591' has less people racing to get it... ;)

Personally, I abhor having numbers tagged on the end or substituting letters (unless it's a good likeness)..

with George I still understand it, but with e.g. Tcz4189 or Marci5063 or KJJJT14 or kevm1811 or daniel4115 etc. i can't understand it. These names don't appear very often!:confused:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I picked some with naughty words but I got in trouble for it.... which I regret :(

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
with George I still understand it, but with e.g. Tcz4189 or Marci5063 or KJJJT14 or kevm1811 or daniel4115 etc. i can't understand it. These names don't appear very often!:confused:

Tcz, Marci, KJJJT, kevm and Daniel are all going to be gone lol.

Bad examples! :laugh:

B

BundesBurger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tcz, Marci, KJJJT, kevm and Daniel are all going to be gone lol.

Bad examples! :laugh:

You are right, Tcz4189 was probably born in 41 week 1989. LoL :bandit:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are right, Tcz4189 was probably born in 41 week 1989. LoL :bandit:

What was meant was, all those examples you gave (without numbers) will be taken soon enough.

So the next people along who want those names will have to add numbers (or something).

Tcz might not sound like something 'popular' to you, but...

What if you name is Thomas Charley Zachundra?

Or..

Toby Cedric Zachery..

I would gladly bet (even with an unusual 3rd letter) that there are quite a few people on the planet with the initials Tcz.. Or Tz and their nickname begins with C.

How & why is irrelevant, the point is... If a game/website/whatever is popular enough, soon, almost every single word/thing/name you can imagine- will be gone & taken as usernames..

Eventually, most three letter combinations will be gone...

Look at internet domain names...

Go and try to find a three letter .com that isn't owned...

If you find one, buy it! :laugh:

Daniel?

Because that isn't a popular name or anything...

Just a Biblical name.. :biggrin:

Probably not that many 'Dan's' about..

Oh wait... I know loads...

My brother is a Daniel!

He's not as 'into' poker as I am, but if he hurries, maybe he can snag 'Daniel' on Stars...

;)

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I also wanted to change my nickname.

B

BundesBurger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would gladly bet (even with an unusual 3rd letter) that there are quite a few people on the planet with the initials Tcz.. Or Tz and their nickname begins with C.

How & why is irrelevant, the point is... If a game/website/whatever is popular enough, soon, almost every single word/thing/name you can imagine- will be gone & taken as usernames..

Eventually, most three letter combinations will be gone...

Look at internet domain names...

Go and try to find a three letter .com that isn't owned...

If you find one, buy it! :laugh:
;)

That may apply to poker stars, but certainly not to 888! They only have a total of less than 10,000 'players' LoL:dancing2: