Poker alias and avatar

S

smulkku123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this might seem really stupid to many of you but I have a hunch I'm not totally wrong.
Do you guys make profiling about the players according to their avatars and aliases ?

Few examples: On unibet I often see ninja-avatar guys always waiting for nuts and then go str8 all in with it.

My aliases "Whatisfold" and "LuckyLuck420" gets much more calls when I try to bluff compared to when I play with my alias that has girls name with it. ( I'm really a guy)

These gangstarapper avatar dudes tend to call everything with top pair.

Those are only few examples but theres also proplayer Durrrrrrrr who said he made his nickname to make other players irrotated (should work if he plays tight).

And last words. There are psychological studies proving that there is correlation between your own personality and nicknames and like suit that you choose for masquerades.

I'm really not saying these things should be the most important things to consider when playing poker xD Just that there might be some extra benefit if my theory has point.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe there is some gamesmanship there depending on the level your playing. although probably 60% of players pay it no mind and hardly think past what they're holding. a good name and avatar combo can bring the right kind of action in the right situation.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always suspected that the chosen login and avatar were interconnected with your character. Your choice of things is always related to your interests. But when I play something on the tables I don’t have avatars of players and their login does not matter to me.

SharkyJohn

SharkyJohn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avatar is super uncertain... That's just an image that a player chooses. For some players an avatar may be a reason to call or fold, but I don't get it. How I understand the avatar conception is it's just a piece of profile, nothing more. For example, my PS username is "HatefulBluffer" and as an avatar I use a picture of Samuel L. Jackson from a movie called "Hateful Eight" makes sense, right?

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My impression is that very often behind aggressive avatars and nick names there is an aggressive player.

S

smulkku123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avatar is super uncertain... That's just an image that a player chooses. For some players an avatar may be a reason to call or fold, but I don't get it. How I understand the avatar conception is it's just a piece of profile, nothing more. For example, my PS username is "HatefulBluffer" and as an avatar I use a picture of Samuel L. Jackson from a movie called "Hateful Eight" makes sense, right?

Yea like I said avatar and alias should never be the main reason for your actions but for example. I guess you like the movie hateful eight and Samuel L Jackson is your favourite character from it so you probably relate to that character somehow and since your name contains the word "bluffer", my fast analysis would be that you like to observe situations and you like to bluff but only when you see great opportunity for it according to the situation so if I'm right, your bluff attempts are actually surprisingly easy to spot.

Still if I would play against you, my psychological analyze wouldn't declare my actions vs you. And just like Durrrrrr, there are people who intentionally give some sort of image of themselves in hope for getting wished reactions from other players.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually pay attention not to an avatar but to an alias
he can say a lot about the player
newbie or already has knowledge of poker
but this is not always the correct judgment about it

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I never pay attention to the avatar, only to the name and then only to a small degree.

But I do not think if someone has named themselves with an aggressive or controversial alias it is particularly revealing - I think many just did not think longer term (and this has been joked about thousands of times as people realize they cannot change their alias).

As for avatars, sorry, I never use them and if possible, if I have the ability to remove them I do so as I find the look of the table infantile. I like to play with cool soothing tones (at least they are to me) of grey felt and cards etc. in tones of grey and black. I switched ACR for example to all grey/black with the playing cards in 4 bright/electric colors and it looks stunning...and not an avatar in sight.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i knew a player from Romania, who told me, that he always uses cartoon avatars just to get easier calls (he was good regular back in the day).

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea. Use anything that helps you see patterns.

Remember, some may have dumb ass names and got better at poker over time.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I do not consider these things but only his style of play.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I tend not to pay any attention to Avatars. Screen names can be interesting. Generally I believe the player to be the opposite of their name, for example "AlwaysBluffing" almost always has the goods while "SolidAsARock" is blasting off his stack all over the place.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing at unibet where you can have more than one alias and avatar I have found things different depending which one I choose to play with. Most other sites don't allow multiple names on an account.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I know this might seem really stupid to many of you but I have a hunch I'm not totally wrong.
Do you guys make profiling about the players according to their avatars and aliases ?

Few examples: On Unibet I often see ninja-avatar guys always waiting for nuts and then go str8 all in with it.

My aliases "Whatisfold" and "LuckyLuck420" gets much more calls when I try to bluff compared to when I play with my alias that has girls name with it. ( I'm really a guy)

These gangstarapper avatar dudes tend to call everything with top pair.

Those are only few examples but theres also proplayer Durrrrrrrr who said he made his nickname to make other players irrotated (should work if he plays tight).

And last words. There are psychological studies proving that there is correlation between your own personality and nicknames and like suit that you choose for masquerades.

I'm really not saying these things should be the most important things to consider when playing poker xD Just that there might be some extra benefit if my theory has point.

Ya, I find myself judging players by their names in many ways, good and bad.
For example, when I see a "sexy" name with a sexy pic, I always assume it's a guy pretending to be female to get men to send them money to play lol (could be a woman as well.. but still looking for $$ or to scam people)

AlexeiShok

AlexeiShok

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not pay attention to avatars. But there are days when I play poker with a person to evaluate his game i see on the profile picture. For example, if there is a person sitting in the eyepieces, then I think that he is very serious, and does not go all in with all hands. And sometimes I think right, and sometimes I laugh with myself.:)

A

Alexkaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that this is complete nonsense. Personally, I never focus on the nicknames of the players. It all depends on your playing skills.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I often look at who the player belongs to and his avatar helps me make decisions one way or the other, or I just wonder where this player comes from with this avatar

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it does not matter what login is at the table. I don’t know English anyway. Avatars are easier. I remove them from the table. I love a clean table not distracting from the game.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Describe my player profile by my nickname then: 1Milhão$emNada Translation: 1Million $ in Nothing
the photo is the same as the cards .hehehe
Liked it

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that these aspects do not affect decision-making within the game, they are aesthetic, and they would not be certain values ​​to take into account.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The choice of avatar

I was reading a post from a Cardschat member and this fact drew my attention to the player's choice of avatar.
Do you take into account any factors for this choice, when it is not your own photo?

In my case, I decided to choose the image of Frank, better known as "Puxa- Frango", a character from a very famous cartoon here in brazil, Woody Woodpecker (Pica-Pau).

And you, tell us a little about your favorite avatar and the reasons for your choice.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like mine because I think it looks cool and it's a dog. I love my two dogs and pretty much all dogs.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it makes no difference to me what avatars other players have, for me the main thing in the game is to concentrate and get results in +, I prefer to put my picture almost everywhere on my accounts!

T

ThisCuteAsianGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because I’m asian I choose the asian characters. My screen name is also ThisCuteAsianGuy. Would be a lie if I chose another avatar lol.