Pocket Pair vs. Same pocket pair

WeBeMerkinEm

WeBeMerkinEm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Guys,
Hows everyone doing in the poker community. I have been running into alot of the same pokcet pair vs pocket pair hands lately. Queens vs. Queens, 8s vs. 8s, 7s vs 7s, and then twice in the last week I have had Aces vs. Aces all in to a split pot. Any of you guys run into this often?? :icon_prof :jd4::confused::confused:

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's weird. I haven't experienced it may be just once or twice in the past year but not so much often. Where did you play ? pokerstars or other room ?

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had it happen 2 times that I can remember, the last being yesterday. The other time I remember well as they actually won the hand on a flush. Its going to happen but not often, I have folded a few pocket pairs as they were low and someone pushes. I wonder If I ever folded to the same pair I was holding.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had Jack's against Jack's not yo long ago. I think it's all about numbers and percentages I guess. But you might be playing alot more hands too than average. Good luck

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there Partner. I have had that happen a couple of times even with AK, But it is poker it happens. You know what is really cool, is when that happens and you get a flush, not so fun though when they get one on you :O) Good luck out there and keep grinding

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Certainly not often, but it does happen. Losing to a flush in this situation also is not common, but it does happen. Play a lot of poker, see a lot unusual results. For the record, if you are one of those who thinks this proves online poker is rigged, stop playing now afore you drive yourself bonkers. :)

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Often enough. I have both won and lost due to flush draws. You need to play chicken once in a while to see who will swerve off the road first.:driver:

Rodolfo888

Rodolfo888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What is the best poker room 888poker, pokerStars, Partypoker

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, as a matter of fact, yesterday I run with JJ against JJ and I lost, he made a flush-terrible bad beat

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Rediculous moments , 2 players to be all in and either one of them to win with a flush , or a 3rd player with another pp , higher than theirs to win , or another with a lower pp to make a set and win (or have another big hand , hit on board and win ) . The last one , if it happens when you both are really short stacked , it's really for laughs .... or for tears .....

damkoMTK

damkoMTK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there Partner. I have had that happen a couple of times even with AK, But it is poker it happens. You know what is really cool, is when that happens and you get a flush, not so fun though when they get one on you :O) Good luck out there and keep grinding

Yes, had similar thing happened to me few weeks ago on CC freeroll.
Only it was AQ, all in preflop, spades against clubs ... luckily for me i got flush right on the flop :five:

Blurt Reynolds

Blurt Reynolds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn’t say that’s happened to me that often that I can remember but it’s bound to happen at some point.

I did used to think every time I got a pocket pair there was usually one or more players who had another different pocket pair but I reckon that was just chance as well

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

I play quite a bit, but I don’t often have that. I think if someone plays a lot then it can happen several times. If you play 10 MTTs and 30 SNGs a day then it’s not a big deal to meet such a thing once or twice a week that you have the same pair. But if someone plays only one MTT a day and encounters the same pairs, you can tell that something is wrong.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Guys,
Hows everyone doing in the poker community. I have been running into alot of the same pokcet pair vs pocket pair hands lately. Queens vs. Queens, 8s vs. 8s, 7s vs 7s, and then twice in the last week I have had Aces vs. Aces all in to a split pot. Any of you guys run into this often?? :icon_prof :jd4::confused::confused:
Sometimes there is much more "dangerous" situations.. I have KK, two other guys all-ins to me on preflop and... I have spent a few seconds, but folded it, because it looks for me as coin flip this time for all of my stack and was too risky to loose it in the middle off tournament... And I was damn right because one of the all-ined guys aslo has KK, but another one - AA))
Also once I have AA and other guy with hand like 96o called me and he get flush...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a table with 9 players the chance, someone else has the same pocket pair as you, is around 1:150. The chance of getting dealt a pocket pair is 1:17. So around every 2.550 hands this is supposed to happen in a full ring game. So its not quite as extraordinary, as it might seem. In a typical session I play maybe 1.000 hands, so once in every 2-3 sessions I should expect this to happen.

But I wont always know it. If its AA vs AA or KK vs KK, then normally the chips or money go in, and we get to showdown. But that is totally not the case, if its 22 vs. 22 or 33 vs. 33. So these instances mostly fly under radar, especially because per definition neither player is able to make a set.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had it but very rarely. Even on the table, such cases are very rare.

F

FluDhs

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today i got AA vs AA. Very disappointing :(

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it’s sure to happen more often these days than it should.
And such are the A, K vs A, K more and more times lately.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
On a table with 9 players the chance, someone else has the same pocket pair as you, is around 1:150. The chance of getting dealt a pocket pair is 1:17. So around every 2.550 hands this is supposed to happen in a full ring game. So its not quite as extraordinary, as it might seem. In a typical session I play maybe 1.000 hands, so once in every 2-3 sessions I should expect this to happen.

But I wont always know it. If its AA vs AA or KK vs KK, then normally the chips or money go in, and we get to showdown. But that is totally not the case, if its 22 vs. 22 or 33 vs. 33. So these instances mostly fly under radar, especially because per definition neither player is able to make a set.
Thanks fundiver. I always appreciate the people who provide the mathematical answers to these kinds of questions. Rather than guessing, or using anecdotal evidence, it is the pure math of 52 cards and the probabilities.
Yes - I saw it last night in a 2 hour session - AA vs AA. Only way to win - catch a flush.
Another example - in a live tourney a guy in front of me went all-in on the first hand. I had AA so I also shoved it in. You guessed it - we both had pocket rockets and split the blinds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes - I saw it last night in a 2 hour session - AA vs AA. Only way to win - catch a flush. Another example - in a live tourney a guy in front of me went all-in on the first hand. I had AA so I also shoved it in. You guessed it - we both had pocket rockets and split the blinds.

Its always a bit of an anticlimatic feeling, when its AA vs. AA. You are so excited, you got action, until you see his cards. What really sucks though is, if the opponent then makes a flush. I have been on both the good and bad end of that outcome :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find myself in such situations very rarely. But the most interesting thing is when you see opponents go all in preflop aces against aces, but one of them collects a flush on the river.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Of course,it has happened to me , even with AA.By the way,yesterday on 888, I was all in with AKh vs AK off and, as in most of the cases, we split the pot.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're lucky !

For me it's higher pocket pair vs. lower pocket pair and i loose....

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks fundiver. I always appreciate the people who provide the mathematical answers to these kinds of questions. Rather than guessing, or using anecdotal evidence, it is the pure math of 52 cards and the probabilities.
Yes - I saw it last night in a 2 hour session - AA vs AA. Only way to win - catch a flush.
Another example - in a live tourney a guy in front of me went all-in on the first hand. I had AA so I also shoved it in. You guessed it - we both had pocket rockets and split the blinds.

Hi. About the only way to win a flush in such cases, I completely agree with you. In my case, there was a division with mismatched AQ, I was not particularly pleased with this:eek: