Is Playing Online Anti-social?

Beardownman

Beardownman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that a lot of us have full time jobs etc, and when we get home in the evening cant wait for a quick fix of poker until bed time and the next day of earning a living...But:-Do you think that playing poker online is anti-social or do you try to talk to your wife?

A

anderson1313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I seek to divide my time and put clearances for poker not to become a requirement

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes if your just sitting there absorbing what you are watching with no interaction whats so ever. Than it really becomes an "escape" in a way if you are using it for entertainment purposes.

Djangofreeman

Djangofreeman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how much you play poker online. If all the time without having more time for nothing or if you can still live in harmony with those around you.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
People find a hobby for spending free time. I do not see anything wrong with that.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see poker as an escape from the outside world. Peace and quiet is how I like to play.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it doesn't have to be that's what the chat box is for

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a little bit maybe, but you just have to have balance. And we are being somewhat social here, CC is a great poker community :)

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, a lot! But the secret of online poker is find a way to equilibrate this in your life. For me, the best thing is the quietly ambient, instropective moment, helps me a lot to make good decisions.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Majority of online poker players are introverts. There was a survey about this years ago. I find it difficult to play being extrovert, that's why I have to chat with people and prefer to have someone near me. In my case I'm playing poker during my job, using CAD/CAm software, drawing things and operating machines during poker sessions. It's not bothering me at all, and it brings a social element in my activity, cause most of the time all that I have around me is couple of CNC machines, several screens and lots of numbers to keep in mind, so chatting, playing poker, posting and reading forums is a form of social activity.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online poker used to be pretty social actually in the pre BF days. But it has trended the opposite for me bc of many different things imo ; the player base is vastly different than before, some sites have anonymous tables and even no chat box (the main site I play is like this ignition), and the change of TV poker has overall made the game less social than it used to be in my experience. At least CC games tend to change that a bit :)

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't say it's anti-social, we live in a rapidly changing world and some people forget that. It's like with computer games which are regarded as anti-social as many people forget that those games are played online with other people very often forcing interaction between them... I would even risk saying that it is pro-social as, as it is in my case, if I played live I probably would only meet a small group of people interested in playing in my surrounding, online I am able to meet people from all over the world which is great, and the fact that I have a choice to interact with them is awesome (as in live room not speaking back to people would be rude:p).

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. I have used poker as an isolation tool. Now I get jokes like: I found a quarter in the parking lot, takes you an hour playing poker to make that...ha ha

W

Woburn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anti-social? so what we are doing here? In fact this is social...

fadisn

fadisn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that playing poker online is anti-social, for those who has real life !

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unsure if your reference is regarding online play or in relation to other social activity.
What is not cool is if detachment occurs over time without any warning. Mrs. ____ suddenly wakes up and feels like there is no relationship. Not to give any personal advise, but just a perspective based on my experience and testimony of others.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Some(many)times it is. It's up to the player and her/his playing environment.
Sometimes I play just to to kill the time.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that a lot of us have full time jobs etc, and when we get home in the evening cant wait for a quick fix of poker until bed time and the next day of earning a living...But:-Do you think that playing poker online is anti-social or do you try to talk to your wife?

I don't know if online is "anti-social" but playing live is definitely more social (even if you don't talk with anyone).

Those are my two options? Play online poker or talk with the wife? lol

Good luck !

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online is not antisocial, its just part of technical progress. 10+ years ago poker player got
one option - live poker, now that player have a choice - live or online. i think its wonderfull!

S

sparky112

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anti Social

The wife and I play together. I do not believe it is ant-social just merely convenient.
You can get her involved and teach her how to play.
Our 3 yr relationship has strengthen since I did this, not saying it was bad. LOL
It sure help taking a bite out of Boredom:D..
Good luck
sparky112

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi I do not see the relationship of why being Hi I do not see the relationship of why being anti-social when playing online poker, that is, if you have any hobby that does not include your wife that would make you a bad husband ?, I believe that if we organize our time well always having as priority our partner we can do both and fulfill them correctly, I am not married living with my partner for more than 5 years and she never complained that I play online poker, I think I have achieved a positive balance and that she also respects my hobby and own time as I respect her hobby and her own time

P

pawelmad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When You playing every night its could be anti social youve got to keep mainteine balance in your life

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker, here I get a new friend ...

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker doesn't make you anti-social , neither it's for these kind of people .

Some people can dedicate only few hours weekly on poker cause their work is very demanding so they can play specific games I think , others a few hours the weekdays or Saturday/Sunday , others can play more days cause their business and family affairs allows them and gives them more freedom . So poker is entertainment , it doesn't consume allthe time , everyone chooses the games he likes according to the time he wants and he is able to dedicate to , playing to make money or have fun . Everyone plays whatever suits him best when he wants , not everyone plays tournaments everyday all day .

He can play alone , he can play together with friends , he can play in an online stream which do many nowadays to socialize thegame evenmore . Moreover with poker you play with people , you can talk to them at the tables , there are poker forums to get along with them and learn how to become a better player . I don't understand the accusation of antisocial , at least for the great majority of poker players . Now , if sb is actually antisocial , poker won't make him more antisocial , but it brings him in contact with players and people , so he is being socialized more imho .:)

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is said that most professional poker players are lonely people without a family. I do not agree with this, think it depends on the person. As already noted above, everyone chooses a hobby for himself, I think that poker is a great pastime that complements life, and does not complicate it.