Online Tells

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What types of tells can you pick up playing online? When you cant see the other person it seems tough to do.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are not 100% reliable but they are usually based on timing or bet amount.

One well known one is letting the clock and reserve time count all the way down to near zero to make it appear they are having to make a tough decision and its the nuts more often than not.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They are not 100% reliable but they are usually based on timing or bet amount.

One well known one is letting the clock and reserve time count all the way down to near zero to make it appear they are having to make a tough decision and its the nuts more often than not.

Like ChickenArise said it's about betting patterns. There players that min bet when they have little or no hand. One reraise and they fold their hand. While other players might min bet with the nuts. Learning a players betting patterns is a key to online poker.

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start tagging your player locations. people play from diffrent parts of the world and have very adverse styles

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with onion6ix. I've noticed players from a certain country are very aggressive and play a lot of hands.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesnt this depend on the player? I'm not sure there's exact set of tells that fits most players. It comes to mainly betting patterns/bet sizes I'd say. And to avoid givng tells through bet sizes yourself, your bet sizes should differ from person to person depending on their play style.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Betting patterns are one of the best ways to read a player. Also take into consideration of what stake, table size and player volume are being played. Other factors such as playing a cash-game or tourney may also have an affect on players' tells like betting 3-5 times the BB which usually indicates a big pair, depending on their relative stack size, as apposed to someone shoving which usually indicates AK-A9 or a small pair. It's when players mix this up that you've got to watch them closely. A nice 3 bet or check-raise can usually give you a better read, as well. Good luck. :as4::ac4:

S

Sp0own

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the main reliable ones are : huds , search players with tools such as sharkscope, betting patterns and timings .

i don't think that tell such as profile picture, country or username are useful.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting amounts and patterns are tells.

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Timing, bet sizing, and also watching players in previous hands. Some players may be on tilt from a hand before.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the only online tells are your opponent's bets

kleopatra123

kleopatra123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start tagging your player locations. people play from diffrent parts of the world and have very adverse styles

"people play from diffrent parts of the world and have very adverse styles" - Truth!! You right!:)

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bet sizes and patterns says a lot.. timing can say something, but sometimes it depends on the number of tables the player is playing... at this point it gives you 1-2 other usefull infos!!!

-TRP-

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing online actually will improve your live tell making ...well in most cases. Because you're focused more on betting language then you do body language.

Usually how they streamline their bets is how I can tell if I'm ahead or behind. If they are jamming on the flop (outside of a freeroll) they are behind almost always. Usually the ones who are trying to trap always throw out some min bet to build the pot , those people I love because I catch up a lot of the time.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are specific tells for the online poker. Size of bets along the streets; player timing; betting/calling/folding from determined position..., despite they are imperfect informations, they still are good start point so.

Best of Luck

M

maxboy44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having read many of the replies on this thread, I have formed the opinion that there is no such thing as tells in on-line poker.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I distinguish 3 groups of tells.
1)the behavior in the chat people talking about the game, insulting others, complaining of bad luck it is possible to determine the degree of tilt.
2)the time for making decisions. If a person made a decision quickly, and then took a pause - maybe he is thinking about value-bet or preparing a bluff. Here you need to follow his style of play - maybe he plays on several tables
3) all the other tells - he puts a big blind without waiting for the queue - beginners and fish; does the moves automatically: call BB, check fold, automatic raise - plays on several tables, often goes to the sit-out - the game is not particularly interested in.

F

flamerozzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well..

Alll those tells said plus the gameplay mode (tight, loose) should help in making decisions

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When the villain takes a long time to make a decision. It could be a sign of strength.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
observe is the key. i don't use a hub so betting size is a usual tell. if you can afford a showdown to see if a guy bluffs it's worth it imo.

Poker Tells