Online poker and bodybuilding

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys, someone else has a good experience combining online poker and regular exercise in the gym?)
I ask the question because bodybuilding requires compliance with the regime: full sleep, nutrition, etc.
I want to play a lot and not quit training in the gym, plus job. Who succeeded?)

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is such a game that it can be combined with everything and even sports

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can combine poker with a lot of sports. When we talk about gym, after a long sessions of poker i take a break and go to gym. This sport relax me a lot

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me there is no connection between these two sports

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Having worked out for years I would say at first glance poker and training have little to do with each other.

By this I mean from experience, you either are interested and disciplined to work out regularly or you are not. It is something to be thought of independently - you work out because it makes you feel better. People fail when they tend to use 'working out' as an ends to another means (losing weight etc.). Of course it is beneficial in those terms but to last in the gym long term you really need to enjoy it for what it is (generating a sense of well being) and then it becomes an integral part of your life. You cannot couch it in terms of being a task or taking an effort.

Having said this, I absolutely believe being fit improves your game even if by marginal degrees. Being fit takes discipline and focus (mental and physical) which are both required in poker. But, it improves everything you do, period, how you live life in the whole.

As for scheduling...everyone has to find what suits them. I have been the early riser all my life and for years hit the gym pre-dawn. I love starting my day by working out, but for others they either dislike the idea or it is simply not convenient. If you prefer working out in the evening, then go for that- but just make sure it becomes a routine.

Whatever you choose, weights, cardio, squash or whatever, just start and then stick with it until it becomes a habit you do not even need to think about. It needs to become integral to your daily routine as simple as taking a meal.

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me there is no connection between these two sports

This.

It's like asking "guys, how do I combine playing poker with eating? I like eating and I like playing poker... how do I find a good balance?" :p

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This.

It's like asking "guys, how do I combine playing poker with eating? I like eating and I like playing poker... how do I find a good balance?" :p

It is strikingly obvious the majority of pro poker players in today's game are fit. Poker (and other pursuits) follow the influence of likes of Tiger Woods who turned the idea of fitness on its head within the golf world.

Sportsmen and competitive people (in any field) are now more concerned about fitness and nutrition etc than they have ever been -simply because it can give them an edge, no matter how small. Increased endurance, increased focus...a calmer overall sense of well being.

As someone who keeps fit, I have had countless discussions regarding keeping a routine. Mostly I cannot be bothered anymore because people either grasp the benefit or attempt to persuade themselves it is not worthwhile. Each to his own...but this is not having a real dialogue.

So I always finish such an interaction with one simple question. Name one single downside to keeping a regular fitness routine?

There aren't any. If anyone argues time, I'd point out that once you have a level of fitness, 3 serious weights sessions per week will keep you in good shape. For most people that does not even equal half a nights TV watching.

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I always finish such an interaction with one simple question. Name one single downside to keeping a regular fitness routine?

There aren't any. If anyone argues time, I'd point out that once you have a level of fitness, 3 serious weights sessions per week will keep you in good shape. For most people that does not even equal half a nights TV watching.

No downside.
Neither is there a downside to keeping regular sleeping patterns, clearing your credit card or keeping on top of dental hygiene, which are as probably just as relevant as the OP question.
I was simply stating that the correlation between poker and bodybuilding (NOT basic keep fit, which you diverted to) is none existent.

D

dcipher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardio

This thread has inspired me to get out the exercise bike while playing today. Good ideas.

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker and bodybuilding seem to be in different stratospheres at first but they may have many similarities and could prove beneficial if packed together imo. both require commitment, dedication, education, physical and mental endurance. an individual also needs exercise especially if he/she is a poker play and forced to play years in a sitting lifestyle of limited activity. also bodybuilding might give you a better table image, and give you the endurance needed to play long hours. at the very least it wont harm any aspects of your health and game imo.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys, someone else has a good experience combining online poker and regular exercise in the gym?)
I ask the question because bodybuilding requires compliance with the regime: full sleep, nutrition, etc.
I want to play a lot and not quit training in the gym, plus job. Who succeeded?)

Well, then go to the gym in the morning and play poker in the evening, or Vice versa, I don't see any problem

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No downside.
Neither is there a downside to keeping regular sleeping patterns, clearing your credit card or keeping on top of dental hygiene, which are as probably just as relevant as the OP question.
I was simply stating that the correlation between poker and bodybuilding (NOT basic keep fit, which you diverted to) is none existent.

If we talk about bodybuilding, albeit amateur, it will correlate with poker. at least 90% of the poker game takes place in the evening and at night. and you, as an athlete, need a night's sleep. Add daily work here. I would love to see your workout in the gym if you hadn’t slept before that night. Therefore, it is not so easy to combine these two matters ...

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this, the problem is that I will be easily too exhausted if I go to gym before poker session. So, I try to exercise more often, but lighter, almost everyday, but work out only some specific muscle group.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In addition to poker, you can do anything, do sports. You just need to be able to schedule your time well. I don’t think regeneration will bother you if you sit in front of the machine and play poker instead of watching TV.

So the point is if you have enough time and energy to fit in smoothly with poker and sports. Indeed!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
One needs to try to work at having a healthy balance. Poker playing typically takes A LOT of time and many (I wanted to say 'most') online players tend to get overweight & lazy.
If playing MTT's it is a bit difficult to even eat well. One needs to prep. meals in advance because a 5min. break isn't very long and typical sessions are 8 to 10hrs. long!

I was a fully addicted bodybuilder/powerlifter/workout freak for many years (& probably still would be if it weren't for health complications... I couldn't picture myself not working out regularly for the rest of my life... but it has happened). Both things, poker & working out take a lot of discipline & TIME (if you want to excel in either of them). IF poker is your focus, then you could probably have a workout schedule of just 3 sessions per week (maybe a shorter 4th on a poker day).

Trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle will obviously benefit the poker playing. Helps you to focus, think at a high level, and feel positive. I find when I only play poker for long periods of time (without any intensive physical activity) I get a bit depressed almost.(maybe not a good description.... more like 'lost a bit'. I look away from my computer screens after 10hrs. of making multiple decisions every minute (every second?)... head outside and try to get grounded again. I find it can take a lot out of me.

BALANCE is key to anything..... but also.. "NOTHING EXCEEDS LIKE EXCESS!" lol (a friend of mine had this on his t-shirt when we were young). I have personally never met a bodybuilder (or workout freak/addict/MMA fighter) who had any balance in their lives... it takes Everything to get to one's full potential. And for poker players, I often hear of top (or good) grinders who are seeking to improve upon having a balance in their lives... looking for other activities to help with their overall health & well-being.

Where I live, poker is in the mornings (& afternoon). At night the games are quiet. I believe we are living in opposite sides of the world. (GMT-8hrs)

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One needs to try to work at having a healthy balance. Poker playing typically takes A LOT of time and many (I wanted to say 'most') online players tend to get overweight & lazy.
If playing MTT's it is a bit difficult to even eat well. One needs to prep. meals in advance because a 5min. break isn't very long and typical sessions are 8 to 10hrs. long!

I was a fully addicted bodybuilder/powerlifter/workout freak for many years (& probably still would be if it weren't for health complications... I couldn't picture myself not working out regularly for the rest of my life... but it has happened). Both things, poker & working out take a lot of discipline & TIME (if you want to excel in either of them). IF poker is your focus, then you could probably have a workout schedule of just 3 sessions per week (maybe a shorter 4th on a poker day).

Trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle will obviously benefit the poker playing. Helps you to focus, think at a high level, and feel positive. I find when I only play poker for long periods of time (without any intensive physical activity) I get a bit depressed almost.(maybe not a good description.... more like 'lost a bit'. I look away from my computer screens after 10hrs. of making multiple decisions every minute (every second?)... head outside and try to get grounded again. I find it can take a lot out of me.

BALANCE is key to anything..... but also.. "NOTHING EXCEEDS LIKE EXCESS!" lol (a friend of mine had this on his t-shirt when we were young). I have personally never met a bodybuilder (or workout freak/addict/MMA fighter) who had any balance in their lives... it takes Everything to get to one's full potential. And for poker players, I often hear of top (or good) grinders who are seeking to improve upon having a balance in their lives... looking for other activities to help with their overall health & well-being.

Where I live, poker is in the mornings (& afternoon). At night the games are quiet. I believe we are living in opposite sides of the world. (GMT-8hrs)

thanks for the nice post) Yes, we live in different time zones, I have time in Moscow (MSK) and all the good game takes place in the evening / night. I completely agree with your thoughts. I also have not seen a real balanced bodybuilder or grinder)). But I am sure that if you wish and discipline, you can combine these two things and achieve success in them. I am 39 and I do not set too high goals in the gym, I just want to gain muscle mass and strength). But in poker I would like to achieve a lot, despite the fact that already 2020)) For a good healthy balance in our lives!)

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ITs all about the organization

Man I will just talk what I really do, to you not think Im a kind of a liar.
Wake up 6 o clock eat and workout.
8- have wash and study
10- work on my own company til the 6pm
6- is free to me play poker until the 10 pm when its time to sleep
of course is not every day, we have some sundays without work and whatever.
but if you organise your time you can be bodybuilding, entrepeneur, and player of poker.
sometimes I still foud time to do another things like know english and goes man.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
thanks for the nice post) I am 39 and I do not set too high goals in the gym

You're welcome.

I am hoping to get back to the gym once restrictions are lifted and it's open to the public. I spent many years in the gym but with my current health condition, I am not supposed to do any heavy lifting (due to potentially bleeding to death :( ) but can still do light lifting.
I try to work in 'giant-sets' (as opposed to just 'super sets'), where I mix in 4-different exercises with 2 opposing muscle groups & run them together with no rest between. I've done all sorts of training though in my past... from competitive bodybuilding to powerlifting, to all sorts of stuff inbetween. I also managed gyms (Gold's), worked as a trainer, ran a personal training business and even had a gym for personal training in my home (with thigh ext. machine, lying leg curl, Lat Pulldown, seated cable row (300lb. stack), Squat racks, incline bench, dumbell set, Olympic weight set, etc. etc. (just didn't have a Leg Press... but was planning on getting one, lol).
I wasn't particularly genetically gifted at all (far from it!)... but I was determined to do what I could with what I had.

Good luck with the poker! I'm sure you can do it!

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're welcome.

I am hoping to get back to the gym once restrictions are lifted and it's open to the public. I spent many years in the gym but with my current health condition, I am not supposed to do any heavy lifting (due to potentially bleeding to death :( ) but can still do light lifting.
I try to work in 'giant-sets' (as opposed to just 'super sets'), where I mix in 4-different exercises with 2 opposing muscle groups & run them together with no rest between. I've done all sorts of training though in my past... from competitive bodybuilding to powerlifting, to all sorts of stuff inbetween. I also managed gyms (Gold's), worked as a trainer, ran a personal training business and even had a gym for personal training in my home (with thigh ext. machine, lying leg curl, Lat Pulldown, seated cable row (300lb. stack), Squat racks, incline bench, dumbell set, Olympic weight set, etc. etc. (just didn't have a Leg Press... but was planning on getting one, lol).
I wasn't particularly genetically gifted at all (far from it!)... but I was determined to do what I could with what I had.

Good luck with the poker! I'm sure you can do it!

Oh, I look you're a gym fan) I am also genetically weakly gifted. Moreover, in his youth he made many mistakes: he drank, smoked a lot, and so on ... I did not think about health at all. Now he has dramatically changed his life and I can do it!) Thank you for your wishes! I do not quite understand, your injury will allow you to train in bodybuilding? Without huge weights?

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I used to be gym freak. Girls would run away from me. Grandmas would think I am toxic man.

But I finally gave up on that toxicity and became normally fit person

And now people love to be around me.

#Don'tDoGym

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thank you for your wishes! I do not quite understand, your injury will allow you to train in bodybuilding? Without huge weights?

My injury is chronic liver disease, 'stage 4'. It leads to muscle-wasting. Also, cannot risk lifting heavy weights due to the potential for creating new 'varices' (thinly walled capillaries that help to transport blood that needs to bypass the liver where it is blocked by scar tissue and is more difficult for blood to pass through it). These newly created varices run a greater risk of rupturing from stress of lifting weights (and I will end up bleeding to death). So I take it light for now with many sets... but just getting started at it again.

I

imhereforfreerolls

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I, overall, make better decisions while doing some kind of exercise, so yea, i guess it might be a good experience

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My injury is chronic liver disease, 'stage 4'. It leads to muscle-wasting. Also, cannot risk lifting heavy weights due to the potential for creating new 'varices' (thinly walled capillaries that help to transport blood that needs to bypass the liver where it is blocked by scar tissue and is more difficult for blood to pass through it). These newly created varices run a greater risk of rupturing from stress of lifting weights (and I will end up bleeding to death). So I take it light for now with many sets... but just getting started at it again.

I'm sorry. I sincerely wish to restore health! I am sure you will be able to keep fit with light exercises. And in poker, let there be more luck!:jd4: