Online is getting on my nerves

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do we lie and say poker is a skill game when everyone online seems like a really bad bad dream. No one ive seen has played any thing remotely GTO even at the 50 dollar buy in levels. It seems as though i play pretty close to GTO everyone keeps getting that runner runner miracle calling with hands that are way behind. 4% to make a runner runner flush but it happens to me all the time when i flop a set. Big Pocket pairs dont win for nothing online because there is always someone calling with a random hand that magically hits two pair on the river or flops three of a king. Gut shot str8s happen way to often. Even when your getting more than a good price to win usually the worst hand wins in those spots. I just dont get it i have never run so bad in my 10+ years of playing poker. I cant wait for the live poker rooms to open up again im losing money to freaking idiots. I checked out a few of these players thinking maybe they make profit or its just there strategy. Nope i lose to players who are down 5 grand sometimes players that are down 15 grands +. and i have a ROI of 54 percent. I just dont get it.

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that one of the reasons you feel like that is because online you see 4 to 5 times the hands you would when you play live...and if you are multi-tabling, I'm sure you get the picture. I used to feel the same way about the bad beats and donk players, then I analyzed my game and found that it wasn't the bad players, it was the way that I was taught to play the game. I made the appropriate adjustments and started killing the online game. We often forget to look at what we are doing and are so quick to point the finger at everyone and anything else.

I'd wish you luck, but we don't rely on luck. Do we?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more hands you play, the more opponents chasing the draw. Sometimes they press the button to continue the hand to see the last card on the river. No responsibility, just click. They can afford to do this and enjoy winning in such cases about 1 time out of 10. I read the other day that one of the best poker players in the world lost about $ 20 million online. This player is Gus Hansen and he knows his mistakes.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one ive seen has played any thing remotely GTO even at the 50 dollar buy in levels.

Now I dont know, where you play, but this statement makes me think, something is seriously wrong. Even in a 5 dollar MTT and much more so in a 50 dollar MTT, the majority of your opponents should be breakeven or winning regulars. There will still be some fish, especially in the 5 dollar MTT, and this is, what you want, because this is, what makes it possible to win.

But if you feel, that all your opponents are fish, that point to a giant ego issue, which probably prevent you from objectively figuring out, what the good players are doing right, and what you are doing wrong. Then you blame your lack of success on those hands, where someone "sucked out on you", while the reality is, that you lose, because you are bleeding chips in small pot, or because you are paying off to much. Or you are simply not patient enough to collect a significant sample like 1.000 MTTs. This might not be, what you want to hear, but its for your own best ;)

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you also have to take variance into account, i.e. the difference between the outcome expected over the long term and the results experienced in the short term.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I checked out a few of these players thinking maybe they make profit or its just there strategy. Nope i lose to players who are down 5 grand sometimes players that are down 15 grands +

Well there you have it. Since these guys are down 5k or 15k, that obviously mean, they dont always nail their gutshot or their runner-runner backdoor flush. So its just meaningless variance over a probably very small sample?

I just dont get it i have never run so bad in my 10+ years of playing poker. I cant wait for the live poker rooms to open up again im losing money to freaking idiots.

I can certainly understand missing the live poker scene, but variance is not smaller in live poker. Maybe its a bit easier to deal with mentally though, because the pace is slower. Live you can usually only get busted from one MTT per day, while online it can easily be 10 or more. And yes this can be tilting, but its something, which it is possible to learn to deal with.

S

scrappypower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it bothers me also people just dont care if they lose there real money onlne cause u cant see it so they play suieted flush draws open ended on chance do care if its pot odds priced in you are calling with nothing and 9 times out of 10 the computer lets them win bad call always win yes i understand once in awhile

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This makes me wonder if the hands are massaged to make the overall game time shorter. Why do yo-yos play impossible hands yet end up with a winning one?

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online, one plays a lot more hands in one sitting so the badbeat slips in many more times and because the human brain is such that failure stays better because of the feeling of pain (and is engraved to avoid the consciousness of such an experience next time).
As they said before me, poker is a long-term game. So I wish you perseverance and good luck. :)

slapmetwice

slapmetwice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to master GTO before thinking about using it..

its not profitable for long run and if you play with enough regs they will exploit it

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Don't forget this >
;)

Attachments

• eagle.jpg