Online Civility

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was watching a league game yesterday when one player got eliminated and called the player who eliminated him a "lucky donk." I know in the big scheme of things that this isn't too bad but it made me wonder where civility has gone. Especially between members of the forum.

I am used to seeing foul-mouthed jerks lose their mind. Heck, in the regular freerolls, especially late at night, some people just start cursing at everyone at the table from the first hand. This is stuff that I normally just don't pay attention to, especially since it is online.

Just last week, I was playing in a CC freeroll, when I got into the following hand:

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4qeMbbl

I am not going to give it much analysis because that's not really the point of this thread, the behavior is just plain unacceptable without any perspective, but I will give a little perspective regardless.

Levels are 30/60 about to move to 40/80 and I am sitting with about 25 BBs at 1588, but those BBs are about to go down to less than 20 when the level changes. The UTG player: DoubleAA77 had been very active and pushing a lot of hands. A few of them went to showdown and he was pushing hands like Q7o, A4s, JT, ect. So, when he jammed, I knew I was most likely going to be a coin flip with my pocket sixes, or maybe a 60/40 favorite. But I was at the point where the blinds were coming and I probably was not going to get a better hand to showdown on the next hand, so I called. Then another player called out of the blinds, which actually made me somewhat happy because I figured that they would have some blockers with each other (either that or I was in REALLY bad shape). So, it was a loose call and not a call I make all of the time. This just felt like the right spot to do it.

Turns out both the UTG player and the second caller have AQ, making me a big favorite to win the hand. Which I did. It is what happens next that is the point of this thread.

After the hand was over. DoubleAA77 began a tirade of profane insults directed at me. He called me nig***, fag***, then he cleverly combined the two into nig***fag***, dumpster b**** and a host of other names and insults towards my play. Fortunately he was super tilty and went out 5-7 minutes later. I would later find out that this was normal for this player:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/car...eroll-saturday-march-421567/post-5048601.html

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/car...eroll-saturday-march-421567/post-5120071.html

I dare say that this would NOT happen if we were playing live (I am pretty imposing at 6'3" and a solid 240 lbs). So why is it acceptable online? I don't think it is and I really don't think members who are going to treat other members this way should be part of this group.

The player I mentioned in the beginning, I can understand his frustration and I don't think one or two mild comments at another player are ban-able offenses. On occasion I have made back-handed comments. I know that during a league game last season I said something about lucky donks sucking out, but it wasn't aimed directly at the other player (who had given me two bad beats in a row) and I even made sure to say so when I gave him a bad beat on the next hand and basically called myself a donk.

I just think that players (in general) should show more respect for other players, and have better control over their own emotions. And before you write me back telling me not to cry because the bad man called me ugly names, or to ignore chat, or whatever else. Realize that it did not hurt my feelings or get under my skin. I am a criminal defense lawyer who has to visit clients in prisons and jails on a regular basis so I hear A LOT worse.

The point is that we should all strive to be good sportsmen (and women) and treat each other with dignity and respect. This is poker, you ARE going to take bad beats (not that doubleAA77 did, I was about 60ish/40ish favorite in that hand). There is no place for this type of behavior in this community.

Thoughts are welcome and encourage.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If it was a Cardschat freeroll, pass your concerns to the mods, and this player will be severely dealt with.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the smack talk online bothers some but I think its hilarious. Just a few days ago I had someone challenge me to a fight because I rivered a better hand and won a pot worth less than 1 USD. .... Hilarious stuff.

F

FelixTheLord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online cursing is the most common thing you will find. Everyone is brave in front of a screen. Video games are much much worse. You should get used to it

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree it'd be nice if people were more civil. But that's never going to happen.

Personally, I am generally a pretty positive player online until someone start with this BS towards me, then I'm just as bad with the language. However, I don't resort to racist or homophobic terms at all. I usually just call someone a donk-tool-dbag-a$$hat or or something like that... then I move on trying to take their chips.

But donks, with the insane chatter, that really irks me. Can't stand it or them.

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been cursed by the best and the worst and called every name in the book. It's not me though i serve a higher power.People tend to let their emotions get the best of them then their raising shows

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it was a Cardschat freeroll, pass your concerns to the mods, and this player will be severely dealt with.

I did and I am sure it will be. I actually hate throwing the player under the bus publicly like this but maybe it will help others guilty of this type of behavior to straighten up. I really think it is bad for the image of CC.

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many times I've been cursed, sometimes it's really bothering me. Once somebody wish me to die because I but not HE won small pot. Everyday I see so many anger on tables, is it poker doing to people or it's just so many evil mind people around us? I usually turn off coments if it's possible to isolate myself from this negative

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many times I've been cursed, sometimes it's really bothering me. Once somebody wish me to die because I but not HE won small pot. Everyday I see so many anger on tables, is it poker doing to people or it's just so many evil mind people around us? I usually turn off coments if it's possible to isolate myself from this negative

Honestly, the vulgarity doesn't bother me. I have definitely seen and heard worse. There are times I will needle and poke fun at other players, sometimes just in fun, sometimes because I can put someone on tilt. But nothing to the level of this guy. And I think it's crap that I need to turn off chat because of other player's lack of self control and I won't do it. I will generally ask a player to tone it down, but that usually just makes it worse for them. The poker site rep said to screenshot the chat and send it to them. So, I may do that in the future. Like I said in a previous post. I reported this guy to CC Admin and I am sure they are going to deal with it. He is a non-posting member so I am sure he is just here to try and take advantage of the all member freerolls and has no idea about what the CC forum and community is really about.

Last edited by a moderator:
smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try to always be civil to anyone who is a CardsChat member and while participating in CardsChat related events but outside of CardsChat I consider "Online Civility" an oxymoron.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah Iv'e had death wished upon me before .. to be clear not from a cc member ... but I personally don't care what someone says to me .. it makes absolutely no difference in anything .... do I think others should act out in this way .. hell no .. you announce yourself as a child who is incapable of controlling in any way your emotions or probably most aspects of your life online or otherwise .. for me it is just a natural advantage I feel that I have and will push every button I can to make them really slip off the edge at that point .. then I will laugh : ) but to add my two cents I don't think this will ever change and our world, and the USA as a whole, has become more uncivil in the last three years than anytime in our history .. I only see it getting worse because losers somehow feel they have a right to act this way ... my only advice or thoughts would be to grow thicker skin to deal with the asshats, in the end it will always pay off in your favor when you face someone who cannot control their behavior, as long as you can control yours : ) ... Poker can be a rough game .. such is life ....

nikolaevich87

nikolaevich87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a cruel reality! I believe that people do not respect each other because of democracy, the power of money! - it kills in people such feelings as respect, dignity and morality! (

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is a cruel reality! I believe that people do not respect each other because of democracy, the power of money! - it kills in people such feelings as respect, dignity and morality! (
I agree. This would never have happened if Josef Stalin was still calling the shots!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I play poker for my own pleasure. Personally, I respect other players and never insult anyone. I also believe that any insults are inadmissible. But in general, I try not to pay attention to the statements of my opponents during the game.
Good luck.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Do you think that democracy kills feelings of dignity and morality? ..... You need to watch less of your Kremlin channels.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I did and I am sure it will be. I actually hate throwing the player under the bus publicly like this but maybe it will help others guilty of this type of behavior to straighten up. I really think it is bad for the image of CC.

I agree 100%, cc doesn't want that crap that here. The mods take this stuff seriously and since these are private games they can enforce it as they wish.

Personally I have fun with trash talking morons in regular games but seeing it in cc games makes me cringe.

nikolaevich87

nikolaevich87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
channels show what they will be told, both to you and to us! and people become heartless, for the most part! and stopped just respecting each other, regardless of origin! And when the USSR collapsed, and the thief in law of Stalin no longer became! people were kinder than NOW!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately the anonymity that online play provides gives some people ground to unleash their negative emotions knowing that nobody can punish them for that. It is online syndrome not specific to poker (just look at the forums or social networks). I try to simply ignore it or block the chat if it is too offensive. If player is doing it constantly he/she should be reported so that neasures are taken by the room. Of course most of this can not happen in live game because player will be simply eliminated from the game so this is one aspect of the live game that always will be advantage of it compared to online.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You know what I don't understand? Can't understand where all this frustration is in a freeroll game or on micromises ?! Everything is about human education! I do not consider what those people write on the chat, sometimes I am amused by their comments ... the greatest pleasure is when they are removed from the game! :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well that's a yikes...

Enjoy eating that bus! :bike: :vollkomme

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It bothers me when people are insulting at the table when I play online because I know that the person who is being disrespectful would most probably be silent as a mouse if we were playing live. I hate people that are what I call "telephone tough guys".

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, usually this kind of insult does not bother me, it speaks much more about it than about you, but do not blame you for being inconvenienced. I confess that at times I also say something with the donkeys. But just call than they really are, without exaggeration and without dwell!

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.Those players not only should be banned from CC freerolls. but also lose their memberships.Fortunately,in most of the freerolls members treat each other in a friendly way..