Online bankroll management vs live play

Y

Yaholnitsky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, im new to the forum and this is my first official post. I wanted to discuss proper bankroll management for online poker. I play live cash regularly and find my bankroll management for online play a lot different and more challenging due to the amount of options for chaseing losses when you are running bad.

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
That's right, playing online you will have to know how to overcome the bad times to manage your banckroll well, you will have more opportunity to find where to develop your game better and you can find games every hour throughout the day, until you play at more than one table At the same time you can't live. But if you have a problem with this you can propose to enter the same money that you dedicate to play live and look for similar games.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My online bankroll between a number of websites is around $1,000 right now. I started at $100 and built up playing up to $2 MTT. I think most bankroll management sites would say a $2 is too high for that bankroll, you should being playing for 1% of your bankroll. Currently I'll bump up to $5-6 MTT and play some cash, I'll go as high as the $7 sit n gos if I choose to play those.

General rule I believe is you want to have 100 buyins. So if you're bankroll is $100,000, you can play up to $1,000 tournaments or comfortably play $5/$10 NL.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll also add I play as a hobby, I'm not trying to win millions. Good luck!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important is to set up some rules for yourself and then follow them. Especially rules for when you need to move down. A daily stop loss is also a good idea and more important than in live poker, because you can play such a large volume online. So if you run bad and start to tilt, it can get really expensive in just a few hours. For me some reasonable miminum numbers are:

* Full ring cash games 20 x a full 100bb buyin
* 6-max cash games 30 x a full 100bb buyin
* Single table SnGs 50 x the buyin
* 45 man SnGs 75 x the buyin
* 200 player MTTs 100 x the buyin
* 500 player MTTs 150 x the buyin
* 1.000 player MTTs 200 x the buyin

The exact numbers can always be discussed, and if you want to be more conservative, that is fine. But if you stick to the above, the worst, that will ever happen to a winning player, is, that you might need to move down.

Organize a Home Poker Game Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management