New to Hosting Home Games - Setup Questions

D

dinokath

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Setting up what I hope will become a regular home game with friends. I want to have something that will feel as close to a real 'tournament' as possible so we can have a little fun while drinking a few beers, smoking some cigars and BS'ing.

Playing No Limit Texas Holdem and I have the App Blinds Are Up to help keep the game on track and I have a set of 800 chips heading my way broken down as follows:
$5: 150
$10: 200
$25: 150
$50: 100
$100: 100
$500: 50
$1,000: 50

I want to give everyone a decent sized stack to start so we all feel like we're rich sitting at the table so everyone gets 79 chips to start broken down:
$5 - 15 $10 - 25 $25 - 15 $50 - 8 $100 - 9 $500 - 3 $1,000 - 4

That gives everyone $7500 to start and there will be 8 players. Big Blinds will start at $10 so that's 750 initial big blind buy ins, so I know that's a long game based on what I have been reading. To try and keep it it reasonable, the blinds will double every 20 minutes and then starting on round 4, everyone will be on the hook for an ante of the same amount as the small blind.

So, questions are:
- Given that setup, how long do you guestimate the game will last, assuming everyone plays mostly loose?
- Does that setup seem stupid? Primary goal is giving everyone a big old stack of chips and having some fun but I don't want everyone here until 5am!

Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance.

J

JZacharyLucas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll never do that again.

W

wstclair777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's going to be a long game, I think that your blinds will increase way to slow in the beginning and then to fast at the end. I also think that having antes in a home game would be a pain.

W

wstclair777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll never do that again.

J, what's the structure of the first game on Wednesday nights? I think that is a pretty good structure for a home game, still to fast at the end for me but, I guess you have to keep it going.

J

JZacharyLucas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
J, what's the structure of the first game on Wednesday nights? I think that is a pretty good structure for a home game, still to fast at the end for me but, I guess you have to keep it going.
15 min blinds with a little over 100 bigs.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One way to speed the game up is to have the big blind post all the antes. That way you don't have to keep telling the drunk guy all night long he needs to ante up.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games