Multitasking while playing online poker

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By far my biggest problem in online poker is how easily bored I get. It's not just a problem in online poker either--basically if I'm in any position where I'm absolutely focusing on just one thing, I get bored and want to start doing other things at the same time. I could try multitabling maybe, but I have a feeling that will be more stressful than stimulating, maybe.

My worry is, if I distract myself from the boredom of focusing totally on poker, then I'll start to make bad moves because I'm distracted from it. But if I don't distract myself, I tend to make reckless moves out of sheer pique. Has anyone else struggled with this kind of thing? And whether you have or not (but especially if you have) is there any advice you think would help me with this?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more games I have going the less I try to do other things while playing.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I multitask, I play very bad, that's why I play only one table. If I put my headphones on, I can focus on the game really well and I play good poker. If I try playing without my headphones(speakers on) I can't focus, don't know why.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same problem, but since I don't take Poker really seriously, I always end up doing something else while playing to entertain myself when I get tired of playing and the tournament isn't over yet.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play cod or gta 5, or i watch youtube videos or netflix while i play.

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to watch poker while I play but movies or tv works too. It's not difficult to keep up with 1-2 tables. Maybe I miss out on some info but it balances it out to not burn out as quick.

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is, yes it is sometimes boring, however if you try to analyze villain style or pattern, you will find it's interesting to stay on the table.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, guilty also. But...as with most things it's a question of balance.

I'll have music playing, I will have You Tube and websites up. Sometimes I will play a podcast.

Just playing poker does get boring and is not 'enough'. However, when I feel I am getting too distracted or see a hand is developing, I will put everything on hold for a while, and that includes even playing music in the background.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I multi-task when I am playing poker it is because I have to .. I try to set aside time and clear the deck so to speak and I won't watch TV or play other games on my phone or something.. I don't get bored ... but family comes first and so sometimes I try to juggle things if something comes up, and keep the game going .... and sometimes I just have to quit ....mostly that decision is based on if I am in some kind of tournament or a cash game I can just walk away from ..........

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am often trying to cook or clean up kitchen when the freerolls are on. If I don't have to do that I sometimes surf around on internet.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Add more tables until the boredom vanishes

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really cant to much multi tasking , cause I play to many tables. If I only played 2 tables then I would be able to. Never going to happen tho like poker to much to do anything else.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most multitasking I'll do is listen to music. If I try to actually multitask while playing poker, I don't play nearly as well.