Is Luck the Most Important Thing in Poker?

Redbull199030

Redbull199030

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many newcomers to poker believe that the most important thing in the game is luck. In fact, this is not so. Professional players believe that only 10% of success depends on luck in poker, and the remaining 90% depends on the player’s skills. Experienced players can even win with the obviously worse cards among their rivals. I use various psychological techniques and expertly bluffing you can beat an opponent with the best combinations on the table, but what’s your opinion?

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can observe the truth in this just by looking at cc leader boards 1 person tops almost every list and the same handful of people always follow suit. What are they just real lucky?

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you rely on poker luck then get ready for the loss of your funds! If you are a beginner my advice is to first read the basic rules of poker, there are many books, articles about poker.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think luck plays a bigger factor in the short run than people realize. Whether or not you win or lose in a session is highly dependent on luck, but over time it begins to balance and favors making good decisions. The longer you can keep your head and count the sklansky dollars instead of the $ involved than eventually the odds will break your way imo .

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is going to win a lot of hands but I think over a long period of time the person who relies on luck goes broke. Skill and patience have to be the 2 things I would rather have in the game of poker.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bankroll management overrides both. Without that as the fundamental foundation, it's all whistling past the graveyard. Nobody cares how skilled, lucky, or unlucky one was when they're broke. Except for the person that got broke. Harsh but the truth.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management overrides both. Without that as the fundamental foundation, it's all whistling past the graveyard. Nobody cares how skilled, lucky, or unlucky one was when they're broke. Except for the person that got broke. Harsh but the truth.

Think this says alot. You can be as skilled as any and if you dont use proper BRM none of it matters
With that said i think plays much more a roll in online poker then it does in live poker. Just isnt near as much info online to gain as live. So many more tells live.
Good luck on the felt everyone

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management overrides both. Without that as the fundamental foundation, it's all whistling past the graveyard. Nobody cares how skilled, lucky, or unlucky one was when they're broke. Except for the person that got broke. Harsh but the truth.

Yes. I agree that managing money is the hardest and most important.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, luck in poker is needed. But I agree with the professionals. Success in poker depends on how the player feels the game, feels the actions of opponents and how he can play different hands. The more experienced the player, the more chances he has to win. Loose players fully hope for good luck. Tight players, first of all, hope for their experience and then for good luck.

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say skill, poker is littered people who won a big prize once and never got close again. But when players win consistently or place consistently over the span on 4-5 years then surely it can't be luck. No one runs good for years??

M

moonshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
long haul, luck is when preparation meets opportunity. some guys make final table at wsop ME, or win it, only to fall off face of the poker world for a myriad of reasons. yes, luck is important, but if you put yourself in good positions to win any given hand over and over, your bankroll will head in the right direction.

also, have to take chances here and there and hope to bink something, whether it's a higher buy in cash game or a tourney. dont be scared to take shots, just not all the time. calculated risk, as always.

Sokolik

Sokolik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you only hope for luck, you will get little profit. This doesn't just apply to poker.

fenoz

fenoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we talk about tournaments, then on the final table you can’t do without luck)

F

Fryesmetalroofs777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think luck is more than 10% of it. Some tournaments you might get pocket A's preflop two or three times. Other times it seems like you wont get any good hands.

estefanetti

estefanetti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In pokerstars is more than 10% .....

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that online poker luck is a major component of the game, but luck and skill requires practice.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is necessary to be a winner but it’s nit the most important aspect. Poker is a skill that requires the ability to read an opponent, aggression, especially at the most opportune time, patience, discipline. Discipline to be able to fold aces or a big hand when its called for. Mathematical ability and being able to deduce probabilities and likelihood of what cards may or may not come up. Self control is key, especially being able to handle tilt and the emotional swings that losing a big pot. Luck is certainly on the list of what attribute will make a good player but its not number one.

HathelFoster

HathelFoster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm relatively new to playing Poker, casual micro stakes for a couple years now.

Whenever i catch myself thinking it's a game of luck i tend to play more reckless and loose and ultimately start losing money.

When i refresh myself and come back to the game more focused and determined to play correctly my balance starts to go back up.

Just my personal observation.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck vs Skill?

I agree that luck is a big part of any gambling situation but in Poker, at times the game type being played is just as important. I recently played in a $3-$6 Limit hold'em game and quickly found that due to the low cost of blinds that most players called and limped all the way to the river, hence luck on card draws was a factor however getting to the River was more of a $ cost than either luck or skill. Invariably those players with mediocre hands would catch and win on the river..Skill - nope, Luck-nope just stick to it ness and no concern for cost.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many newcomers to poker believe that the most important thing in the game is luck. In fact, this is not so. Professional players believe that only 10% of success depends on luck in poker, and the remaining 90% depends on the player’s skills. Experienced players can even win with the obviously worse cards among their rivals. I use various psychological techniques and expertly bluffing you can beat an opponent with the best combinations on the table, but what’s your opinion?

Skill in poker brings good money, but luck in poker can bring you a lot of money

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the short term a luck advantage is always more significant than a skill advantage. If you manage to cooler the competition in massive pots it doesn't really matter how much better they are than you. If it wasn't for this losing players would pack up and leave

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In addition to luck, controlling your emotions is a very important aspect of the game. I often lose because of my lack of control over myself. It is also very important to use bluffing properly and effectively. And of course it is necessary to constantly change the strategy in the tournament and even in a separate handout so that no one can understand what you have in your pocket ...

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No skill no win.

Without skill your luck doesnt matter. Just 1% skill is all you need to the 50/50