Long poker sessions with mouse = cramping hand.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I didn't think it was an issue but after playing online poker for a while (a few hours) the hand that I use to move the computer mouse around starts to cramp. Not a good thing when selecting bet sizes, raising and folding.

Does anyone use their keyboard hotkeys exclusively or use something other than a mouse to play online poker?

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In your case, I recommended using special mouse mats with a roller or gel pillow. And also do exercises for the hands that should be performed in breaks.

Attachments

• mouse.jpg
    mouse.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 46
N

NJW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had a lot of wrist problems over the years of playing video games (poker has never seemed to bother me that much).

I encourage you to think about the shape of your mouse in relation to your hand. Certain hands may require a different shaped mouse to feel comfortable.

Additionally, your chair and desk should be set up so that you can rest your forearm on the arm of your chair and still use your mouse with a completely straight wrist. If your desk is too high/low you will be constantly bending your wrist to reach the mouse.

Moving betting actions to the keyboard and using the mouse can help to even out the load between hands, but can lead to less comfortable sitting positions for long hours as you need both hands forward at all times.

To add to what the above poster said, exercises like the ones below should be done regularly (every 1-2 hours max) when playing multiple hour sessions.

By fixing my set up and taking regular stretching breaks my wrist has gone from the point to where I could barely move it after long gaming sessions to basically pain free.

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I use only the mouse .. I advise you to perform a couple of simple exercises for the hands and everything will be fine!

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just rwlax your hand every once in a while. Stretch it and you will never experience cramps. At least i dont .

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for the responses. I am following the tips provided and am looking at a different style of mouse.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd advise get a different mouse as you just suggested above. Get a light weight one as well. Until recently I was using a gaming mouse on the heavier side, I got a new lightweight one as I dont play games on PC anymore and my hand feels much better than before even after hours of usage.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also use higher DPI (check your mouse driver software), you wont have to move your mouse a lot to move the cursor around. It might take a while to get used to but its worth it.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always use a mouse to play poker. Almost never I use a keyboard.
If your hand is starts to cramp, then this is not a problem in the mouse. This indicates a general health issue. You should consult a doctor.

xxxREAPERxxx

xxxREAPERxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing online poker for 15 years and almost everyday i average about 12 to 16 hours a day and sometimes have played for well over 24 hours str8..just relax,your hand will cramp up if you keep it on the mouse.I usually rest mine in my lap in between hands.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't think it was an issue but after playing online poker for a while (a few hours) the hand that I use to move the computer mouse around starts to cramp. Not a good thing when selecting bet sizes, raising and folding.

Does anyone use their keyboard hotkeys exclusively or use something other than a mouse to play online poker?

This is a very important topic.

You want your entire body properly fit to your environment You would be surprised how much better a properly supported body and sized desk with properly angled screen would feel. Even if it's just your phone in the filed. Yes even your cramped hand and can be affected by bad ergonomics.

Stretching excercices? Yes.

Alternate between mouse - keyboard - voice control - your non-dominant hand - or some other method (even a differently fitting mouse) - to give your hand a break.

Some musicians have similar use of the hands and have to break for 15 minutes every 30 minutes when practicing to avoid repetitive motion disease.

Make yourself comfortable now instead of later....it will help in the long run.

Good luck!

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When my hand starts to cramp during a long tournament, I begin to use hotkeys.
Sometimes I need to take a longer break than 5 minutes.

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you spend more hours than usual every day to get to have these problems.
Or what happens is that you have a problem with the tendon so it would be advisable to go to the doctor.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play most of the time on a laptop with a touch mouse and for me the game normally passes, I do not use hot keys on the device!

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use hot keys if your poker App has. Really useful

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one mention a ball mouse. they are great. curves to your hand and buy left or right. Wireless is key.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive used Microsoft wireless laptop mice for years (the small ones). They are the best and I have never had any trouble, even after hours.. and hours of play :)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Touchpad is good.

Hotkeys are good.

A mouse with a different layout that won't cramp your hand as badly is possible.

I'm not aware of voice control yet.

You should at least switch to one of those for at least 1/2 hour to let your hand un-cramp.

Good luck !

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Touchpad is good.

Hotkeys are good.

A mouse with a different layout that won't cramp your hand as badly is possible.

I'm not aware of voice control yet.

You should at least switch to one of those for at least 1/2 hour to let your hand un-cramp.

Good luck !

Much appreciated Mike.
One of these days I'll challenge Alexa and Siri to a game but not yet..

P

T

t0b4cc0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise you to lower your sensitivity so that you move your hand more.

You should also check for a good ergonomic desk postition. Theres lots of online resources about what arm height and desk height and stuff you have to have to sit good.

I also had great sucess and fun using sitting air balls when I had a problem from sitting so long infront of the computer. (back, neck, anything...)

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
The most effortless way to play online poker is to use the keyboard. It's way superior to mouse/voice.

When I used to play poker a lot (years ago), I used an AutoHotkey script in order to control everything I wanted, regardless of the integrated hotkey features in the poker client. I rarely touched the mouse. Nowadays, I am very far from playing as much as back then, so I don't have an autohotkey setup. When I find the time and motivation, I am going to recover my old setup, even if I am not going to play that much again, just because of how superior it was to the mouse.

If you prefer to stick to the mouse, make sure your mouse is ergonomic enough. My old mouse was causing me troubles, because it was too fat at the back. Also make sure your hand is well supported. Most of the weight should be rested on a flat surface. Don't rest it on the edge of the table or anything else too pointy.

If you ever feel you are making too much damage to your hand, and you start to wonder about RSI or CTS—DON'T PANIC! Most of that is just psychosomatic. I used to destroy my hand for hours, and I still do it sometimes. At one point I began to worry about any possible long term effects. This worry only worsened my condition. I had no idea how much physical pain your subconscious can induce, just to prevent you from doing something YOU THINK IS BAD for your health... until I stumbled upon some article on the internet. I probably have the link to it somewhere in my old bookmarks, but I just googled and found this site. It sounds very familiar. Perhaps it's the same article. It's worth reading anyway.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Instead of mouse control I use the keyboard to control the decisions therefore less wrist and hand strain.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot of online poker, been a gamer for yrs and work on computer a bit. I have found raising the platform the moue sits on helps a lot, small table or box slightly smaller than the length from your wrist to elbow is perfect. It just feels right. Hot keys are also a quick and easy fix.:)

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use small and medium wireless mice. They can run on almost any surfce but I use them with small mouse pads.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands