Letting the clock run out when playing online

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how often you use the extended time of around 60 seconds? Or do you most of the time know what you're going to do so you don't need it? I almost never use it except when I try to sike someone out and make them think I'm going to call there raise!

boo_maju

boo_maju

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Believe that it is very good to take the time to think a little more before taking an action. Even though you know that an action is taken, it is sometimes good to keep a little calm before playing. This is not to induce or villain to make a different decision due to the speed of your bet. :p

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often save the time if I don’t need it and use the clock to my advantage as we near the bubble, especially in large turbo tournaments when you know people are going to be knocked out quickly. You just need to make sure you do it before it gets down to hand for hand play. It can be a useful tool if you are close to the money and short.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I often save the time if I don’t need it and use the clock to my advantage as we near the bubble, especially in large turbo tournaments when you know people are going to be knocked out quickly. You just need to make sure you do it before it gets down to hand for hand play. It can be a useful tool if you are close to the money and short.

I definitely sometimes use this to my advantage as well if I can potentially help me get past the bubble round. I try to hold onto my time bank and just have it be used in the times where I may be occupied with other tasks and lose a few seconds when I realize it's my turn to act.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was wondering how often you use the extended time of around 60 seconds? Or do you most of the time know what you're going to do so you don't need it? I almost never use it except when I try to sike someone out and make them think I'm going to call there raise!

I seldom use the extended time since most decisions take at most 1 to 3 seconds depending on how many tables your running at a time. Using the 60 seconds as a method "to sike" someone out" may work at times I guess depending on the level of play, if it works for you then keep doing what works.

I would say a slight timing difference may be in a different category on it's own versus using the clock. If you typically act within 1 to 3 seconds and then you instead you take 6 to 8 seconds, that may represent a subtle change that other astute players pick up on and could be used advantageously.

Like most things, if something works for you then keep doing what works, if it doesn't work anymore then it's time to try and figure out another way.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alot of times it's a giveaway. iv'e noticed players trying to look weak and use clock before a huge reraise it usually means a strong holding...especially when they run it all the way down.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The normal time is enough for me to take decision in 90% of cases. Of course in some complicated cases i take my time and use part of my timebank to analyze better the situation.

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This time is needed in the later stages of the game when you run into an not so easy decision making against an opponent who played hand not like he supposed to do and / or your tournament live is on the desk
In a few cases to miss the opportunity to become a bubble boy :).

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the timebank mainly when I'm not playing. I mean when I'm on the toilet or smoking a cigarette on the balcony, my time is running out. I just kidding! I think where I spend a lot of time is when I have a top pair early in the game and I have to commit a lot of the stuck to the river to get the pot or call a bet.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
It depends on how many tables I play. If I play one or two tables, then I also do not use this extra time. If there are more than two tables, then this extra time is very valuable and necessary for me.
Good luck.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
There are always decisions that take time to analyze, but there are players who use the extra time excessively, it is a bit desperate.

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time is very valuable in those quick tournaments! Use it and always consider all your options and analyze the hands you playing. You can also use it strategically when your near final table or a payjump etc.. Just be creative with it and use it clever! ^^

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It can be used as a strategy- I also let the clock run out sometimes when we're getting close to the money and if used correctly it definitely helps(or play way faster than usual if I have a big stack and I can 'bully' the players from my table)... but there are lots of players that play slow all the time- even when it's hand for hand- it's a bit annoying and I hate having this kind of players at my table.

SharkyJohn

SharkyJohn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost never use it. I always think further so when it's my time to act I already know what I'm gonna do. Sometimes tho, there's a very hard play so I run out of it😂 I know some players use the time bank to bluff I guess, I don't know if that work in high stakes, or if works at all, I never do that, and I don't suggest it😁

P

Pocmcfc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used it just now, I ended up being seriously card dead throughout a tournament, rather than hitting and hoping I decided to hang on for cards which never came so in response to getting blinded out I used my entire time bank to check on the BB to get past the bubble.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is definitely a good habit to use your time bank, when you are facing a difficult decision in a big pot, especially if its for all your chips. Often the first instinctive reaction is "call", because its human nature, that we hate to give up and fold a strong hand. But if we force ourselfes to slow down, it will allow the more analytical part of our brain to take over. And then we can sometimes find a fold in a situation, where its the best play but not the one, we most want to make.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Sometimes you are using your 60 second extended timebank, sometimes your 60 seconds extended timebank uses itself without much of your awareness :flute:. And you end up with none of it :dong:. I would say the latter happens to me way more often than the former.

But in general I tend to use my timebank in the later stages of the tournament where decisions are crucial and more pricey.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there
I only use the extended time when for some reason i´m near the buble
and need to get some players out
Only then
Rgds

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen it at a table where there is one massive stack bullying and the whole table runs the time down and a few use the timebanks up. Generally the early chip leaders have just got lucky and are prepared to play any 2 cards. Those type are usually impatient and will often type rubbish like ZZZZzzzzz if anyone takes a few seconds, so in this case it's a useful tool.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your post. I use it when I'm playing a tournament and an important hand happens in the money. But usually I just use my standard time clock and then act.

Good Luck To All:cool:

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I used it just now, I ended up being seriously card dead throughout a tournament, rather than hitting and hoping I decided to hang on for cards which never came so in response to getting blinded out I used my entire time bank to check on the BB to get past the bubble.

This literally just happened to me in one of the last tournaments I played in where I happened to cash in the final place paid. I was a significant top stack after the first 1/3 of the tournament, then I went completely card dead to the point where I folded nearly every hand I received (as people around me were being very active) and I only saw one flop for nearly an hour. Used the strategy to eat up clock and I barely made it to being ITM and went on to lose the second hand of the final table with the best starting hand I saw in easily an hour plus haha.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never use the clock. Choices aren't that hard. Hand for hand mode stops running clock to make it.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I use extended time only when I make a difficult decision and I need to think about whether I play several tables and just do not have time to make a quick decision

pundim

pundim

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I use to spend some time trying to wait players on other table to get kicked out from tournament so i get ITM

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually make decisions quickly, I try to save time for the right situations. Of course, there are distributions when you need to think, do not rush. Especially time is needed on the bubble, when there are few opponents left before the prizes, in which case I consider it permissible to pull.