The Law and Online Poker

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We know about black Friday, and how many players have moved to play the game they love or have moved over to sites that are shady or unregulated. This post is dealing with a different side of the law and poker though.

When a site like partypoker, who bans bots.. announces that they ban dozens of bot accounts per month and then the next month they pop up and ban more bots. How come I never hear about people cheating and getting caught ?

Inb4 they use 8000 proxies

Do these sites even deal with law enforcement ? is it not their duty ? or do they just ban accounts that get flagged or whatever ?

A separate issue, when a site like 888 tells me to make a new account because the system will just delete my old one and then they ban me for multi accounting and deny the conversation ever took place. Where can we turn ? the gaming commission ?

Another separate issue... If pokerstars bans you for verbally abusing staff members, even though PokerStars chat moderators verbally abuse you (while playing poker i might add) Where do we turn ? the gaming commission ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See to me it looks like these poker sites operate and are allowed to do anything without any repercussions(it actually says in their TOS that they can deny access to an account for any reason).

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did they shoot the Sheriff

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When a site like PartyPoker, who bans bots.. announces that they ban dozens of bot accounts per month and then the next month they pop up and ban more bots. How come I never hear about people cheating and getting caught ?

Computers dont open poker accounts, so obviously there is always a human behind the banned account. Also in their announcements PartyPoker dont actually only talk about bots, they use more broard terms, that could also include other use of non-allowed third party software, multiaccounting and perhaps even colluding.

M

Milan Godhania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Machines will take over the world.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 888 is based out of Gibraltar.. It is what it is? lol

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Computers dont open poker accounts, so obviously there is always a human behind the banned account. Also in their announcements PartyPoker dont actually only talk about bots, they use more broard terms, that could also include other use of non-allowed third party software, multiaccounting and perhaps even colluding.

Yes, of course :) and this is precisely the point im trying to make. All of these bots and i never hear of a person or a face being linked to the bot being caught doing it..

I think 888 is based out of Gibraltar.. It is what it is? lol

Yes, it is what it is. Im just trying to not let 20 years of experience go to waste.

Its tough to put yourself in my shoes maybe. PokerStars has banned me because i verbally attacked staff members after they verbally attacked me while playing. Now they accuse me of being a sports betting addict (even though ive never bet on sports unless it was a freeroll) and say i self excluded myself from sports betting and because i "self excluded" myself my account can never be reopened. It seems to me that i may have some legal grounds here even though they can in fact deny access from any account for any reason.

888 Accuses me of being a multi accounting cheater who "abused bonuses" even though it was one of their support team who told me to make a new account because "the system will just delete the old one", they said. They deny the conversation took place. Although i can now play on 888 (woo hoo !) They have special "restrictions" on my account that they may lift at a later date...

Machines will take over the world.

Haha so true, but we will always need someone to operate them and someone to fix them when they break !

Last edited by a moderator:
djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even outside of America, I think it is risky to have more than you can stomach losing on any online site... Just think if it was gone tomorrow, then what? > It is tougher playing high stakes, but you can still keep it to an amount you can stomach losing (obviously everybody is used to losing in poker sometimes ) Unfortunately, playing online at all can sometimes be the biggest gamble! -(def true in the states!)

A

astros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont really trust any of these sites with to much money, but if you want to play , for some of us its the only way