Is it possible to be a loser in microlimites but to win in average limits?

jorge rodriguez

jorge rodriguez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I feel more comfortable playing in NL25 and NL50 than playing NL2 and NL5 ... unfortunately I do not have enough banking and that gives me a lot of headaches ...

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it can be true to a certain extent - in particular if both are true: A) you're a newcomer at higher limits B) you are better then majority NL5 field (so you know a thing or two about poker). This way you will gain some success in the beginning at those limits, as you know what you're doing, and players there most likely do know as well (less crazy mindless nl2-5 game). And while you're newcomer for them, you can reap some rewards before they adjust to your game. But once you became a familiar face to them, you will have to evolve really quick or you will get eaten by the regs there.

Considering that you say that you have no BR to play those limits, you most likely play there sporadically and therefore might have an illusion that you will do just as good if you play regularly there. But it can become a reality with constant working on your game and learning FAST.

Denchik43RU

Denchik43RU

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's impossible!!! The higher limits are the more skilled players, if you can not beat the weak you beat the mighty? That is my opinion :rolleyes:

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's impossible!!! The higher limits are the more skilled players, if you can not beat the weak you beat the mighty? That is my opinion :rolleyes:

Not true at all. The higher you go the less rake you pay.

K

KoreasFinest213

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that you shouldnt play stakes out of your BR. Its tough to get thru variance and bad beats with a short bankroll.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think you can be a loser or winner at one level and not the other. Make sure you are playing the same way a both. Maybe you are taking more chances at the lower levels.

Denchik43RU

Denchik43RU

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not understand what does the rake, if it comes to the playing field, the opponents (as I understand)

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I too feel more comfortable at mid-stakes, small things quickly, everything is crazy, on average more calmly.

T

timz10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to a certian extent i agree but lower limit players offen play the luckinsted of odds

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I feel more comfortable playing in NL25 and NL50 than playing NL2 and NL5 ... unfortunately I do not have enough banking and that gives me a lot of headaches ...

Yes, i agree with your point of view. Usually at micros there are a lot of bad players with no lines in their play and it's hard to predict how they play. They gamble a lot on micros and its hard to make a read on them

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the higher the limit the more consistent the skill sets. The lower the level, the more varied the skill sets.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It is possible, it's similar to mine story, I have more succes whrn I play tournaments with buyins from 10-100$ than in 3$. Maybe due to opponents playing less tight since the stakes are lower

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you're new to the micros dynamics it can happen, but generally no because the higher the level the higher the skill required

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I generally agree that, yes, there are better players as you climb the ladder, so yes, it's going to be harder to win, but....

Game theory says that non-game theory optimal play by others can also hurt you (unless it's head's up). A lot of bad play by a lot of players can basically make the micros a complete crap shoot where no one can overcome the rake. I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but from a mathematical standpoint, it is possible that the poor play of others (which is more common at micros) can hurt you.