How to pass milestones

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, so I recently dropped a $50 deposit on ignition and got it to $100 in three days playing $5 NL 6MAX. Well, actually I got it to $99.91. The problem is that at this point, I over hyped myself and really ****ing wanted to play just a little more to get to that $100. Psychologically, reaching triple digits would be huge for me, like a huge success. Thirty minutes later, Im at $95. I stopped playing there. I plan to continue tomorrow after sleeping off this tilt, but how do you guys deal with the positive stress of reaching a milestone you set for yourself? If you feel anything at all, that is?

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't sweat the small stuff.

If $50.00 is a huge commitment to you then perhaps gambling is not for you. If it is just a small commitment then 'don't sweat the small stuff'.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not play the Ignition. It seems they do not accept players from Russia. Perhaps there really is a very weak field - because there are no Russian players! :D

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Running towards a milestone is nice, but don't make yourself crazy about this. Better think about what buy-ins you can play, that would fit to your bankroll. What range you should play atm? You achieved something already, but this + or - few cents doesn't matter.

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, so I recently dropped a $50 deposit on Ignition and got it to $100 in three days playing $5 NL 6MAX. Well, actually I got it to $99.91. The problem is that at this point, I over hyped myself and really ****ing wanted to play just a little more to get to that $100. Psychologically, reaching triple digits would be huge for me, like a huge success. Thirty minutes later, Im at $95. I stopped playing there. I plan to continue tomorrow after sleeping off this tilt, but how do you guys deal with the positive stress of reaching a milestone you set for yourself? If you feel anything at all, that is?

The fact that you can close your CPU down a few dollars and that this post didn’t end with “now I’m broke” means you’re ahead of the game.

Milestones are important for goals, but they are artificial wins. In the long run it really isn’t any different having $95, $99 or $101. You aren’t any better or worse because of it.

Just keep on doing what you are doing. Exhibiting the ability to call it a day instead of donking off your whole stack in anger says more about your growth as a player than $5 certainly would have.

As for myself, when I get over $300 I always cash out every dollar above $200. It’s similar to what you do but I do this for 2 reasons ... 1) it allows for a steady flow of deposits and 2) it means that when I do act stupid and play cash (I’m very good at tournaments but am spotty in cash) it means that I can’t donk off a grand in a night.

Anyway, keep on trucking and take pride in your discipline. Even consider doing a form of what I’m saying where when you reach $100 you cash out $50 each time. It might work for you.

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that you can close your CPU down a few dollars and that this post didn’t end with “now I’m broke” means you’re ahead of the game.

Milestones are important for goals, but they are artificial wins. In the long run it really isn’t any different having $95, $99 or $101. You aren’t any better or worse because of it.

Just keep on doing what you are doing. Exhibiting the ability to call it a day instead of donking off your whole stack in anger says more about your growth as a player than $5 certainly would have.

As for myself, when I get over $300 I always cash out every dollar above $200. It’s similar to what you do but I do this for 2 reasons ... 1) it allows for a steady flow of deposits and 2) it means that when I do act stupid and play cash (I’m very good at tournaments but am spotty in cash) it means that I can’t donk off a grand in a night.

Anyway, keep on trucking and take pride in your discipline. Even consider doing a form of what I’m saying where when you reach $100 you cash out $50 each time. It might work for you.
Thanks a lot. Funny thing is this situation happened to me before, but instead of calling it a day I had the brilliant idea to play $25 NL because I thought it'd be really easy to earn a few cents there. An hour later I'd be down 3 buy ins for that level. So yeah, I will take it as a positive that I can walk away from the table now.

I don't think I'll be able to cash out for a while. I wanna build my roll until I can end up playing the largest limit available, which is $2000 NL. It'll take a while but if I watch my roll the way I'm doing now I'll get there :)