How much would you invest on a poker laptop?

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much would you invest on a poker latpop?

Poker software is generally pretty basic to look at but I am finding clients are becoming more and more CPU intensive. Does you machine struggle running multiple games?

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Probably not too much since i use some cheap used laptop for playing poker sometimes and i believe it cost less than my tablet haha

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably not too much since i use some cheap used laptop for playing poker sometimes and i believe it cost less than my tablet haha

This is whats odd. They make the clients so lightwieght on mobile devices and tablets yet so hungry on computers.

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on whether, apart from playing poker and basic tasks such as browsing the internet, watching movies, using the office suite, you will need this laptop. If you will need it only for this tasks laptop for 300$ - 400$ is enough to run smoothly.

You can buy on banggood or aliexpres to get the best quality/price ratio for example laptop from one of this companies Teclast/CHUWI/Xiaomi should be good and price will be ok too ;)

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker laptop does not require a lot of investment, unless you are playing 10 tables at the same time

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on whether, apart from playing poker and basic tasks such as browsing the internet, watching movies, using the office suite, you will need this laptop. If you will need it only for this tasks laptop for 300$ - 400$ is enough to run smoothly.

You can buy on banggood or aliexpres to get the best quality/price ratio for example laptop from one of this companies Teclast/CHUWI/Xiaomi should be good and price will be ok too ;)

Thanks, may look. Was going to go for a very expensive one, would possibly watch movies, but then 4k tv's are much cheaper for that. But was using a laptop that was only a few years old i5, 8k RAM and kept noticing Party use quite a lot of bandwidth.

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, may look. Was going to go for a very expensive one, would possibly watch movies, but then 4k tv's are much cheaper for that. But was using a laptop that was only a few years old i5, 8k RAM and kept noticing Party use quite a lot of bandwidth.

I noticed that pokerstars too, and funny thing is ps really much puts a heavy strain on the graphics card. If you would like to spend some more money on laptop you can take a look for example on new asus zenbook or surface laptop 3.

S

steveo2003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried playing on a laptop and didnt really like it much,

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I invested around $500 in a poker laptop and I had to buy one only for poker because most poker rooms don’t offer a Mac version to play on my personal laptop, only pokerstars and BCP.

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My laptop is a normal model and when I play poker at 3 or 4 tables, it works very well. I don't think you need a very expensive laptop to play poker.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Poker software is generally pretty basic to look at but I am finding clients are becoming more and more CPU intensive. Does you machine struggle running multiple games?

Cheap used (relatively modern) laptop.

$150 US - not much more

Beat it up. Take it everywhere you want.

Lose it? Spill coffee on it? No big deal. Buy another.

Mine has a small screen so that I have longer battery life.

If I want a bigger screen when I am home then plug it into a larger desktop screen/monitor.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be careful going for the bottom end of the market now. There was a time when online poker had very low system requirements but things have changed recently and the sites are making it so you can't really dial down the system requirements. Having tried the new pokerstars aurora on a basic laptop even with everything dialled down I find it will randomly crash if I'm doing anything else.

i5 is fine from experience, make sure you get plenty of RAM. I mostly use a i5 10th gen with 16GB and SSD, only intel graphics and it works perfectly well. New laptop prices seem to have increased here recently, and the new ones I've seen only have 14 inch display.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you don't to invest to much. All you need is a working laptop that does not lag and has good internet connection.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely you don’t need to invest much on a laptop. I have 200$ worth laptop and work very well. Sometimes I play on 4 different poker clients and 4-8 tournaments at a same time, and runs pretty well.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Since I'm a streamer I'm happy to invest a couple of thousand $ into a laptop, but obviously the demands I have of my laptop are much higher than those of other people.

I think if you are willing to invest even $1000 you can get a laptop that can run pokertracker, multi gaming clients, and multiple tables. What else do you need?

This is a great brand of inexpensive laptops if you want performance and aren't picky on design

hope that helps!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

thanks for mentioning these other brands, I didn't know they existed!

Always nice to be able to find a great deal online!

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for mentioning these other brands, I didn't know they existed!

Always nice to be able to find a great deal online!

No problem :). This are Chinese brands, but quality to price ratio is the best in them ;)

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All poker platforms don't any special high requirements and that's so you don't have to invest a lot. If you intend to play last games on the market, you have to pay some good cash for your laptop

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I picked up a Lenovo S145 on clearance at shoppers this spring for $239. I can play 5 tables at a time on 888 no problem and surf with google. I think the secret is the solid state hard drive, and while this one is small, its FAST!

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's up to my bank account. Right now my mac fulfill my needs.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be careful going for the bottom end of the market now. There was a time when online poker had very low system requirements but things have changed recently and the sites are making it so you can't really dial down the system requirements. Having tried the new pokerstars aurora on a basic laptop even with everything dialled down I find it will randomly crash if I'm doing anything else.

i5 is fine from experience, make sure you get plenty of RAM. I mostly use a i5 10th gen with 16GB and SSD, only intel graphics and it works perfectly well. New laptop prices seem to have increased here recently, and the new ones I've seen only have 14 inch display.

This is what I am finding, if you play with things like Aurora turned on the client can crash on laptops only a few years old. It' surprising when you compare it to other games that may be able to run off the spec. As mentioned I was running an i5 only a few old that was struggling multi-table and had to turn Aurora off. Got another temporary newer laptop that may do the trick for the time being. Had been looking at Razer but they are v expensive and unnecessary for the moment but the jump up in requirements has shot up exponentially in poker the last couple of years.

Even the throwing gimmicks added to sites like Party prob increase it.

What is funny is the graphics on PKR 8 years ago seemed was more impressive and immersive yet required far less power to run.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I'm a streamer I'm happy to invest a couple of thousand $ into a laptop, but obviously the demands I have of my laptop are much higher than those of other people.

I think if you are willing to invest even $1000 you can get a laptop that can run pokertracker, multi gaming clients, and multiple tables. What else do you need?

This is a great brand of inexpensive laptops if you want performance and aren't picky on design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFyka8Vp62Y

hope that helps!

Oooh interesting video, thanks Evan. Will have to go through that again when not as tired. For the moment I have managed to get my hands on a laptop with 8th gen i5 processor which may keep me going for the time being and is faring better.

Was looking at the Razer brand for a bit, really nice and easily upgradable but very expensive. Trying to justify the cost and thought maybe if I did other gaming on it might be worthwhile. However while I use to love general gaming 20 years ago haven't really done it since college and poker is so time consuming on top of work anyway.

But this Tongfang brand sounds like a good thing to research for a bit more bang for your buck. Just need to see if the one I am currently using will now go a bit further but never tried any of the poker tools except PT4 but know there are other ones I have never used like Pio (if that's how you spell it) can be very demanding.

This is well worth a look at though, thanks for the tip.

Pj

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Many thanks, got a possible temporary laptop for the moment that seems to be doing okay but certainly not high end but will have a look at your suggestions along with the ones Evan pointed out or keep this running a bit and look then look at these suggested brands. The temp one I am using is coping a lot better though but there is nothing worse in a poker tournament than losing if your hardware crashes!

Thanks for the tip :)

Maekz1999

Maekz1999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing. It is my birthday today and I got a brand new one.. Kappa. :D

Nah I think it should stick to your income. Don't spent more than u can effort. :)