How much does your play change when live vs. online?

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For regular online players... how much adjustment do you make when you play live?
I know that i literally go into a "play money" mode when live... people limp like crazy, it is very similar to poker phone Apps! - if i am playing a lower stakes cash game live, i literally play some play money phone poker to prepare. Now, i don't change that much, except i may tighten up by like 5%, and reduce my bluffing by 2%. But it is always fun (minus vegas... people are better in vegas /misconception a lot of people have/ )

:heeeellll

n1ckoftime

n1ckoftime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to pick up tells online so I stick to a more gto approach vs exploitative play.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where I play low stakes locally, players often limp to be in almost every hand. They enjoy playing. It's all about fun. Many have a lot of alcohol in their blood, so whether they win or lose doesn't matter. They are already happy. It is worse the next day when the head hurts :D

I adapt to such players - I just play Tight aggressive - poker ABC to profit. There is no way to bluff because they are calling station.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For regular online players... how much adjustment do you make when you play live?
I know that i literally go into a "play money" mode when live... people limp like crazy, it is very similar to poker phone apps! - if i am playing a lower stakes cash game live, i literally play some play money phone poker to prepare. Now, i don't change that much, except i may tighten up by like 5%, and reduce my bluffing by 2%. But it is always fun (minus vegas... people are better in vegas /misconception a lot of people have/ )

I think it matters what the table is. Just like online. You can normally tell online players because they are used to action. Just kills them to sit and look and fold so often. Usually after an hour or so they are playing hands out of boredom. Thats when they get caught up and realize cards don't hit as often as online. :D

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Weather it's live or online my play is generally determined by how the opponents around me are playing, if they play too tight I open my range, if they play too loose I tighten my range. Long term it's best to just use a straight forward ABC approach, play face up and bet for value until told otherwise. Generally the cards play theirself.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because they tend to call more/bigger live I like to increase my bet sizing for value.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to open my ranges up more live. because most people who play live are calling stations who just like to play poker. they don't know how to play poker well.

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to open my ranges up more live. because most people who play live are calling stations who just like to play poker. they don't know how to play poker well.

Agree with you! Unfortunately most people are playing for only fun (accuracy "fish fun") like it's coin flip. So if you catch pretty flop you'd win in this situations! :D But in other games my style is similar online game. But frequency of live games is too low...

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the biggest difference is the action that exists in one and the other, live you can spend the day without further action, marginal cards and depending on whether it is a tournament or cash you have to analyze several factors to get into action and steal boats ,, different online because it is faster you can get more benefit in several aspects:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Flatran

Flatran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in general terms when I play live I usually play much tighter than when I play online, however when I play live I change my way of playing faster than when I play online, since it is easier to realize the way others play and thus be able to take advantage of it.

L

lintsikka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish everyone would play as loose live as in online. No doubt we would get very interesting conversations :)

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I seem to play a lot more careful playing live,Playing online I kind of play hands I wouldn't normally play depends if it is a free roll. buy in tournaments I play to tight that's why I don't really win much.

AntA_KO_v

AntA_KO_v

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I play online there are much more hends per hour so i can fold more hands, when playing live my style more lose-agro

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that i literally go into a "play money" mode when live... people limp like crazy, it is very similar to poker phone apps! - if i am playing a lower stakes cash game live, i literally play some play money phone poker to prepare. Now, i don't change that much, except i may tighten up by like 5%, and reduce my bluffing by 2%. But it is always fun (minus vegas... people are better in vegas /misconception a lot of people have/ )

It's a completely different game live with all of the extra information you get
-Physical Tells
-Emotional State
-How focused / distracted they are

Here's a vid I made for those loose live games

and Here's a vid I made for the tougher games

It's important to be ready for both, because what usually happens is you start in the first, as the night gets late game gets short and there will be a couple of strong players and a bunch of stuck players.

By knowing how to hold your own against the strong players you can stay in the game until it breaks and get to cash in on the best part of live poker - playing shorthanded with stuck, tilted, inexperienced players who have never played anything but 9-10 handed :)

E

EvandroGatti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider myself a live poker player, but latelly because health issues I only play online and is been tought but getting better each day. In the past couple weeks I playing freerolls and micro and my rate off FT's are about 40%. Even tells, thing that I used to say that was impossible to have in online games, if you pay attention and really keep track os moviments, bets, sizes, slow plays you can have a pretty good idea of the player and it's actions.
But still, I love live games and looking forward to go back to it!

Last edited:
T

thomaspen2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn playing online when I play live just know how to do ir

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play mainly online, micro and low stakes, don’t have live poker rooms close to me. When ever I have opportunity to play live, I do it. It’s totally different feeling. When I started to play live, I was to tight in my game, people pushed me around, folded to much, all in all was to scared to play. Second time- same, busted with better hand, some lose guy busted me with 93o. I was so mad, then After a couple smokes and jack and cokes I decided to re-enter. Then I started to take notice behaviour of other players, looking for reads, and now I push people around. Easily make from starting 15k to 45k chips. I was so happy because I had strength to come back from tilt. I didn’t cash that tournament, but I was really satisfied with my game. So like Jarvis said in his videos, only thing that beating you is you self. And now I play live like I play online, trying to adjust to my game to the table and to players on them

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't read players on line as well

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I get impatient when playing live due to how slow the game is and a few hours in, I tend to stop caring. I don't put a lot of money in though so that might have something to do with it.

Organize a Home Poker Game