how to learn to play better

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what steps have you made before becoming a plus player? and what can you advise? I read bronsons book twice, finished all courses in pokerschool site, how to improve my playing now?

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can read more books... Brunsons Book is good but old... compare it to stuff from younger players. Many have written books on poker. You will learn a Lot simply by looking at poker through the eyes of many different good players.
You can also check YouTube for poker tutorials and see if you find some that appeal to you.

But in the end it is more important to really start using the concepts at the tables. There is no use in learning some fancy advanced stuff if you still don’t think about position or pot odds when you play.

The best way to learn will always be to keep playing and analyze what really works for you.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, fold, fold, wait the good cards, and then go all-in (early), an early double-up will get you some working chips, then go back to playing tight. Good luck.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what steps have you made before becoming a plus player? and what can you advise? I read bronsons book twice, finished all courses in pokerschool site, how to improve my playing now?

1. Tracking your play

You have to be brutally honest with yourself. I have seen my friends "track" their results, and we use Poker bankroll tracker where you can watch your friends graphs as they play, and follow how they are doing. They were only recording there profitable days, and "forgetting" the losing days. You have to be honest with yourself if you're losing admit it and fix it.

2. Recording and taking notes

I use OBS software when I play online to record my sessions, and I can watch my timing, see where my leaks are, and watch my hands from another perspective. Notes are huge in poker the more information you have the easier game is going to be it's that simple.

3. Study

Books are fine, but most are outdated and honestly will hurt your game more than help. You should be checking out resources like Upswing poker, Run it Once, and Raise your edge. there are some good you tube videos out there but a lot of them are too focused on one particular direction that they miss the big picture of poker. Watching Twitch streamers is a great way to study, but you have to understand that you can't just watch for enjoyment you have to really break down each move that they are doing and why. They don't have the time to break everything down for you on stream so you can watch a streamer and still not understand the "move" that they did. Use the internet as much as possible to help you find free study material, but understand that what you grab off the internet can be put there by anyone, and the best content you will need to spend some money for it. Make use of this CC forum post hand analysis, ask questions.

4. Make use of technology

Apps, like Snap shove, Take EV, poker odds calculator, Float the turn, bankroll trackers and the many other apps that are available at a push of a button that make the calculations easier.

5. Read the Mental game of poker by Jared Tendler

I can not express how important this is. This is honestly a life changing book that is written by a guy that doesn't even know how to play poker lol. Seriously though A HUGE problem for players is controlling their emotions and this book is great. I got mine on Audio book so I can listen to it each time I'm driving.

6. Put in volume

The more you play the more practice you will get. A lot of people don't put enough volume in and for some reason don't think poker isn't constantly evolving. You can get behind real quick if you're not staying up to date with the current trends, and strategies.

7. Make sure you are ready to move up before actually doing it

You may feel like you're beating your current stakes but you have to be brutally honest with yourself and have a proven win rate over a LARGE ENOUGH SAMPLE before going to the next level. The micro stakes is the easiest level to beat, and you have to be able to beat it before moving up.

8. Study the players AT your level

A lot of players study trends going on in the professional world, but disregard what is actually happening in the games that they are playing. It doesn't matter what the pro's are doing unless they are playing in your games. You should be focused on what everyone at your current levels is doing not what the pro's are doing.

Geese.... I just saw how much I put.. I'm gonna stop for now and if you need more I have some other stuff dancing around in my head lol

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Tracking your play

You have to be brutally honest with yourself. I have seen my friends "track" their results, and we use Poker bankroll tracker where you can watch your friends graphs as they play, and follow how they are doing. They were only recording there profitable days, and "forgetting" the losing days. You have to be honest with yourself if you're losing admit it and fix it.

2. Recording and taking notes

I use OBS software when I play online to record my sessions, and I can watch my timing, see where my leaks are, and watch my hands from another perspective. Notes are huge in poker the more information you have the easier game is going to be it's that simple.

3. Study

Books are fine, but most are outdated and honestly will hurt your game more than help. You should be checking out resources like Upswing poker, Run it Once, and Raise your edge. there are some good you tube videos out there but a lot of them are too focused on one particular direction that they miss the big picture of poker. Watching Twitch streamers is a great way to study, but you have to understand that you can't just watch for enjoyment you have to really break down each move that they are doing and why. They don't have the time to break everything down for you on stream so you can watch a streamer and still not understand the "move" that they did. Use the internet as much as possible to help you find free study material, but understand that what you grab off the internet can be put there by anyone, and the best content you will need to spend some money for it. Make use of this CC forum post hand analysis, ask questions.

4. Make use of technology

Apps, like Snap shove, Take EV, Poker odds calculator, Float the turn, bankroll trackers and the many other apps that are available at a push of a button that make the calculations easier.

5. Read the Mental game of poker by Jared Tendler

I can not express how important this is. This is honestly a life changing book that is written by a guy that doesn't even know how to play poker lol. Seriously though A HUGE problem for players is controlling their emotions and this book is great. I got mine on Audio book so I can listen to it each time I'm driving.

6. Put in volume

The more you play the more practice you will get. A lot of people don't put enough volume in and for some reason don't think poker isn't constantly evolving. You can get behind real quick if you're not staying up to date with the current trends, and strategies.

7. Make sure you are ready to move up before actually doing it

You may feel like you're beating your current stakes but you have to be brutally honest with yourself and have a proven win rate over a LARGE ENOUGH SAMPLE before going to the next level. The micro stakes is the easiest level to beat, and you have to be able to beat it before moving up.

8. Study the players AT your level

A lot of players study trends going on in the professional world, but disregard what is actually happening in the games that they are playing. It doesn't matter what the pro's are doing unless they are playing in your games. You should be focused on what everyone at your current levels is doing not what the pro's are doing.

Geese.... I just saw how much I put.. I'm gonna stop for now and if you need more I have some other stuff dancing around in my head lol

Veri good post congratulations

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, first acquiring experience is fundamental and you can do it in both ways by playing and reading the experience of other players, I think you have good preparation, the only thing you should do is keep increasing it.

Greetings

scolopin77

scolopin77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Review

I would say to review that after you played a game or a tournament to look at what you could of done different and what good you did. Learning is also about the good moves. :jd4:;):jd4:

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
MemphisGrind nailed it once again , I like this CCer , always to the point!

I personally watch streams on twitch or videos on YT , observe other good players whenever they grind(usually on PS) and I study the material I have.

Upswing Poker and Raise Your Edge provide paid material for crushing at online poker but they have also free quality material and if you understand what they are talking about and study seriously it is a good start!!

A HUD would be beneficial,with a replayer , in order to review your marginal spots and post some hands here , there are some really good poker players/posters who know what they are talking about!