How do you know you are doing good to advance

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been thinking about upping my buy in amount for playing tournaments. I am at 1 to 20 dollars right now. I am not sure how ratings work either. I came out of retirement from poker about 3 months ago and I think I have held my own even though those fish get me on the river at important times. any advice would be nice I just got active here again too. good luck out there The_Bandit Chico BO

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am 41 but gave up poker for about 5 years or whenever pokerstars was unavailable. I think I got some left in the tank yet..... Let me know if we have crossed paths on BO The_Bandit

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been thinking about upping my buy in amount for playing tournaments. I am at 1 to 20 dollars right now. I am not sure how ratings work either. I came out of retirement from poker about 3 months ago and I think I have held my own even though those fish get me on the river at important times. any advice would be nice I just got active here again too. good luck out there The_Bandit Chico BO
Assuming a decent sample size, if my ROI was above 10%, I'd move up. And then, when you do, give it a chance -- there's so much variance in tournaments given that payouts are top heavy. If you find yourself with a negative ROI, try to see how many bad beats and "good beats" you've had. Over the course of 50 tournaments, getting sucked out on the river just twice can make a big difference. Short-term bad luck can definitely make you a loser in the short-run, so if you find your self on the losing end, understand why (luck vs skill) before dropping back down.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on shark scope it is showing my ROI is 215% if I am reading that right. I just won a heads up tournament at 2 dollar buy in and raked in about 90 bucks with the bounties. My Bank roll is sitting at 600 of the houses money now. Maybe I should go up to 20 dollar buy ins. Maybe I am reading my chart wrong IDK my id is The_Bandit on BO Chico. any help would be great Thanks

Assuming a decent sample size, if my ROI was above 10%, I'd move up. And then, when you do, give it a chance -- there's so much variance in tournaments given that payouts are top heavy. If you find yourself with a negative ROI, try to see how many bad beats and "good beats" you've had. Over the course of 50 tournaments, getting sucked out on the river just twice can make a big difference. Short-term bad luck can definitely make you a loser in the short-run, so if you find your self on the losing end, understand why (luck vs skill) before dropping back down.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a decent sample size?

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for sample size...it depends. :)

Check out this tournament variance calculator at https://www.primedope.com/tournament-variance-calculator/

I've seen various figures for what constitutes a realistic ROI, but to be conservative, maybe go with 10-15% (turbos would be lower), plug that in and see if your winnings are in a "likely" range. So for example, if your winnings put you in the 90% range, you're either great, or you've gotten lucky and might want to play some more games to see. If your winnings are in the bottom 10%... you might not want to move up.

As for me, I've seen my ROI change a lot over the course of 100-200 tournaments.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm Fine Thanks

Welcome back. The game of poker is also a mental exercise, to know how to seize the opportunities. Bad Beats happen but that is variance of the game. Therefore Low buy-in games is where many dreamers are. I do not want to get rich overnight, but if I get the chance in a big tournament I'll grab it.