How to define fish using HUD?

T

Taka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.I just started using HUD in online. I just seach each meaning of date such as VPIP or PFR etc... But dont know what is the Appropriate value for each and how to find fish based on date in HUD???? Thank you for your help! I play micro NH/ PLO

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question but I guess how would you define a fish?

What Hud are you using? I define whats tight, Right, loose, exploitable for each stat. Yellow red purple and blue. Blue sticks out and I look to exploit that player in that area.
Example Folds to cbet 65% or greater is blue. If I'm heads up with this player I will bet all my trash and draws and check all strong hands.

I show how i color code in this video

Last edited:
P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the clearest sign of a fish is someone who has a very high VPIP and a very low PFR and AF.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it comes to table selection in cash games the most important aspect is to find people, who play to many hands, and ideally then get position on them. The last part is very important, because if they have position on you, you are going to be playing a lot of pots out of position, which is a big disadvantage, even if you have a stronger hand on average.

So basically the most important stat for table selection is VPIP. A full ring cash table should ideally have players with a VPIP above 40% or at the bare minimum several players with a VPIP between 25% and 40%, and for 6-max you want to raise those numbers a bit.

Personally I label players with a VPIP above 40 yellow, and you could call this "fish". Anywhere between 20-40% (for full ring) can either be a LAG, which I label blue or a semi loose passive (SLP), which I label orange. This depend on the gap between VPIP and PFR. A 25/21 (full ring) is a LAG, but a 25/9 is an SLP. SLPs are usually bad regs. Its people, who are transforming from a fish to a solid and possibly winning player, but they are only sort of half way there.

Now its important to actually understand, what these labels or player types mean, and what kind of adjustments you want to make. Its a pretty common mistake for people to get completely out of line, because "LOL he is just a fish", but you need to think about, what the numbers actually mean. If for instance you get 3-bet by someone with a VPIP / PFR of 52/7, then you need to take it serious, because chances are, he has a very good hand. If he had some random junk, he would just have called you, like he did all those other times.

Finally some people will make a distinction between "agro fish" and "passive fish", and the first category is also called "maniacs". I personally dont do that with my labels, but I certainly dont respect a raise as much, if its coming from a 53/36, as if it comes from a 53/6.

The point being that you need to look at, what people are actually doing, and not just "LOL its a fish". This also includes looking at how often or rarely they fold to C-bets, when the sample gets big enough, how often they donk bet and so on and so forth. Some fish might donk bet 10% and others 65%, and again this means something different, even though their VPIP is identical.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUDs are a great tool to learn how to exploit payer's weaknesses. Fish come in a variety of shapes and sizes so you need a variety of strategies and tactics to exploit them. If you know how to set up and use your HUD correctly it's easy to abuse the fish.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty easy, if you see your opponent having pretty high VPIP or PFR for some good sample then he is probably fish. Same thing if VPIP and PFR is too low and he is nit-fish :D

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Playing against recreational players

Good morning everyone, in general recreational players often play a lot of hands, when there is a big difference between the VPIP and PFR, they appear to be an indicator of recreational player.
When you start studying the game, you learn that from UTG your open range is 12%, from MP to around 18%, Hijack 25%, Co 32%, BTN 45% and SB 45%.
When you open players more than that you know that the chances of being recreational are great.

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with most comment, but
"...it is not clear who the fish is, then the fish is you..." (not sure if remember correctly)