Giving Advice While Playing.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure whether it's advisable to give advice while playing on a tournament or not, but I did. A player, Purple Vike, was not doing to good and another player berated him for going all-in and winning on a River-card. My nature went to his defense and reminded the other player that We All have faced same circumstances. We were very close to the Pay and Purple Vike was very low on chip-count. He mentioned not knowing much and asked for advice. Quickly, I mentioned that his focus should be to Climb. He responded, "Climb?" I said, you still have enough chips to try to climb (get your stack built-up) before the Blind Eats your Stack. Well, when the blind call was on him, all had folded so I folded, too! That helped him get a nice foothold on his stack. A few hands later, I had pocket Aces; but the flop didn't favor me and I have lost many times with pocket aces. Purple Vike placed a decent bet and had about three callers; I folded. He had a nice, high flush and climbed to 50 or 60,000 in chips. I said, "Your looking good. Now, start being selective in your calls." I, then went on to mention CardsChat. "You can learn a whole bunch from the CardsChat community. Players there are willing to give advice on so many different subjects." Purple Vike then mentioned being a member known as Purple Reigne. We both were in the pay when I was moved to another table. No! I didn't come in first place. I came in Second place. Okay, okay not second either! Don't hesitate to be yourself. It's okay to look beyond selfish Greed and step up to the plate and go to Bat for someone else. It's okay; it really is. GOD bless you all. Now, go get them!

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
We were very close to the Pay and Purple Vike was very low on chip-count. Purple Vike placed a decent bet and had about three callers; I folded. He had a nice, high flush and climbed to 50 or 60,000 in chips

There is clearly something wrong in your "advice" as it seems :hmmmm2:

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very personal. But works very well if you are the nice guy type of person.

Personally, i don't care about how the opponents are playing.
Usually I'm just adjusting and moving their chips to the right place: my stack.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something Done/Not Advice

There is clearly something wrong in your "advice" as it seems :hmmmm2:
Yes, we all make mistakes. Soon after that advice, I entered some big Tourneys and they were merciless. I got ate up about 5 times (rebuys). I was taunted, goaded and shoved to the curve like some abandoned styrofoam-cup. I quickly was frustrated, but I did not tilt and go on a hate mission. I simply, logged out and cuddle with my little ones and went to bed defeated on the tables, but loved on by my little ones. All is good. GOD bless you.

Last edited:

8infinity8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do remember Daniel Negreanu once saying , the moment you think you have learnt poker, you stop learning more. But your opponent doesnt stop learning and he learns more, and gets agead of you. So you will lack behind. It does apply to anything. Never stop learning.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's great that you helped him out a little. Good karma either way you slice it, and don't stop NOT being negative on the poker tables.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is actually not allowed to give advice to other people during play. It goes against the "one player per hand" rule, and could even result in someone reporting you to site security. I am sure, OP did it in the best meaning, but I would advice him to never do this again, and especially not if he move up, where people will tend to care more.

As for berating people, like someone else did in this situation, its bad etiquette and also bad for business. Its one thing to help people, who are asking for it, like we do here in this forum. But we should never act like a "poker teacher" while at the table. After all if someone made a bad play, then we want him to do that again, so letting him know is just stupid ;)

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have to agree with fundriver on this one. While I am all for being nice and helping people, doing it at the table is dangerous. You could easily get banned for collusion if another player takes offense. Limit your advice to after the game.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Some players ask fo advices just to test you or disguising themselves as they are beginners or idiots. I just don't chat, except at a play money table

Last edited:
zvezdadelije

zvezdadelije

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is quite dependent on the person. At the table, I don't offer advice. However, off the table, it's a good idea to share and receive advice from others.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't give advice at the table, never give a sucker an easy break.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Surely offering encouragement is not the same as discussing hand specifics?

That said I would be careful not to cross lines. Whilst I think a couple of post replies have been too literal, the fact that you seem open and mention folding aces here (with reason) would be the type of thing to keep absolutely mum about.

If you have not discussed hand specifics okay but if you reveal, for instance, you made a big lay down then it does sort of raise the idea of sympathetic collusion.

Offer encouragement yes, but keep it broad, congratulate well played hands. If that sympatheitc you can develop a reationship off the table via email and DMs.